Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers fill-in QB derby gets started; Sweed injured

Rookie

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers fill-in QB derby gets started; Sweed injured

Quote Originally Posted by HeHateMe
    Most Steeler fans will say NO to T.O. they can tolerate Ben and his sexual allegations but cant tolerate the guy with the big mouth. Oh the irony.
    Are you the guy with the big mouth? Because I'm having difficulty tolerating you, troll...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pahn711
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Definitely bad luck for Sweed, and I can't imagine if hes put on IR he gets a legitimate shot to make the team next year.
    Why not? What would it hurt?

Pappy
    Plenty of things can happen in a season, meaning plenty of opportunities for new recievers to prove their worth to the team. Don't you think its gonna hurt his chances next year when his competition has proven more than he has? I can think of plenty of situations where guys lose out on jobs with teams because of injuries, just common sense. Also, theres another round of free agency and the draft to add reciever depth next year.
    I was only asking why you believed he wouldn't get a legitimate shot at making the team next year if he is put on the IR this year. He'll still be under contract and he'll be in camp, he really can't ask for more than that. I'm sure the Steeler decision makers will also remember where they drafted him and allow the opportunity to make the team.

I just don't see them casting him aside; it doesn't cost them any more or less to allow him to compete for a roster spot 15 months from now.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Backup

User Info Menu

Definitely bad luck for Sweed, and I can't imagine if hes put on IR he gets a legitimate shot to make the team next year.
    Why not? What would it hurt?

Pappy
    Plenty of things can happen in a season, meaning plenty of opportunities for new recievers to prove their worth to the team. Don't you think its gonna hurt his chances next year when his competition has proven more than he has? I can think of plenty of situations where guys lose out on jobs with teams because of injuries, just common sense. Also, theres another round of free agency and the draft to add reciever depth next year.
    I was only asking why you believed he wouldn't get a legitimate shot at making the team next year if he is put on the IR this year. He'll still be under contract and he'll be in camp, he really can't ask for more than that. I'm sure the Steeler decision makers will also remember where they drafted him and allow the opportunity to make the team.

I just don't see them casting him aside; it doesn't cost them any more or less to allow him to compete for a roster spot 15 months from now.

Pappy
    I guess I could have chosen my words better, but giving him a shot at making the roster just because of where he was drafted is not legitimate in my opinion. This seems to be the reasoning behind the people who are still optimistic about Sweed, they focus on the fact he was a second round pick and ignore all else. He had two years to learn the system and get integrated as an NFL wide reciever (which is more time than most rookies get), and he did not do that. He deserves no special consideration. I can't imagine a scenario where sitting on IR this season can help him, and I mentioned plenty of ways it can hurt him.
    Some people subscribe to a permanent stasis of wishful thinking. They like to believe the world is made of marshmallows and filled with butterflies. I don't.