Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you want to see at QB in week 1? Dixon or Leftwich?

HeHateMe

Re: Who do you want to see at QB in week 1? Dixon or Leftwich?

Ben is NOT our team leader. STOP THAT. Hines and Polamalu are. They exemplify professionalism to the highest degree and they perform on the field. I think Leftwich will start and should. Dixon is not ready. I think Lefty made Ben fans NERVOUS when he was here. Ben fans don't want to see him start and do well, it could mean bad things for Ben. If that happens, I dont rule out the fact that the Steeler brass trade Ben. After the suspension is lifted, his value will go up and we could make a killing and get rid of the cancer all at once. Ben fans will HATE this idea but STEELER fans will think it's smart.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If the Steelers liked what they saw out of dixon, he would have seen more playing time last season from a mere athletic standpoint, ala slash. Outside of the game where he HAD to play, he saw virtually zero playing time. It absolutely has to be leftwich unless something happens in training camp.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'd like to see Dixon start- that will mean that he has shown something in camp over Lefty. Lefty is fine and all, but he's a known quantity. Known not to be good enough to even start for Tampa.

With a strong Defense and running game, either should be a sufficient place-holder until Ben gets back (fingers crossed).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    I'd like to see Dixon start- that will mean that he has shown something in camp over Lefty. Lefty is fine and all, but he's a known quantity. Known not to be good enough to even start for Tampa.

With a strong Defense and running game, either should be a sufficient place-holder until Ben gets back (fingers crossed).
    He's performed VERY well in our system. That has to count for something.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Will We be Mixin With Dixon?

By Harvey “Mr. Steeler” Aronson

Is Charlie Batch even in the discussion? By that meaning who fills in for Big Ben Roethlisberger until he returns from suspension. It appears that it boils down to either Byron Leftwich or Dennis Dixon. Batch is a serviceable option but I honestly believe he won’t stand a chance against the youth and mobility of Dixon or the cannon arm and heart and winning attitude of Leftwich. The coaching staff has a difficult decision to make given Dixon’s performance in a losing overtime effort against Baltimore last season. Looking back at Byron’s one game wearing Black and Gold against the Washington Redskins, he too was very impressive. But in Tampa last year he fell backwards big time. So who is the real Byron Leftwich? When he was wearing the black and teal of the Jacksonville Jaguars, he always played the Steelers tough. But he was run out of town there although in my opinion he got a bad rap. Many critics believe his slow delivery and slow feet make him not a very good qb. But I say, give him protection and a solid running game and the man can do damage. After all, he can wing it. But like in 2009, he now faces a quarterback competition against a young quarterback. Until he got hurt at the University of Oregon, Dennis Dixon was a hot commodity and a front-runner for the Heisman Trophy. Now it comes down to OTAs and this summer’s training camp to decide whom steps under center at Heinz Field in the season opener against the Atlanta Falcons. Hines Ward says it’s not a given that the veteran Leftwich wins the job:

“If he gets outside the pocket, he's more of a threat than anybody on our team. He's just as fast and explosive as a lot of defensive backs that probably wouldn't know how to attack him because they're not used to defending somebody like that. He does remind me of Kordell Stewart. You take a Vince Young, and you see the type of season he had toward the end of last year, and Dixon is really hitting all those molds. If he gets another opportunity, guys are going to compete for him. The interception (against Baltimore), the last-minute mistake, we can't fault him for that. He saw something he tried to take advantage of. Whoever they decide to be the starter, we'll move forward from there. He won over a lot of guys. You get named the starting quarterback the day before the game, going down to the lion's den in Baltimore - it's not an easy task for any quarterback. He held his own. We couldn't run certain plays because he didn't get all the proper reps he needed throughout the week - he only got 30 percent of the plays. That was the frustration with a lot of guys. Considering the circumstances, Dennis played his tail off. And he's getting better and better.'”

As for Dixon, he seems prepared.

“Seeing that was my first start, I wanted to put my team in the best situation. As things go along, yes, I want to go all out. I wouldn't say anyone is solidified as No. 1, No. 2 or No. 3. We're getting quality reps between all three of us and making the most of it.”

[url="http://steelershotline.com/coverstory.html"]http://steelershotline.com/coverstory.html[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Starter

User Info Menu

Think about it...

With Big Ben out, we will probably be running the ball about 60-70% of the snaps. Other teams will know that and will be stacking the box, even run blitzing up the middle. Who will be the best QB to expose that?

The answer is Leftwich. Not only can he play-action pass (with a strength and accuracy), he also has experience reading blitzes. Dixon can scramble away from some of those blitzes but i wonder about his ability to diagnose and call audibles/check downs at the line of scrimmage. He did play well against a very good defense in Baltimore, but it was his inexperience that lost us that game, not his athleticism. The conservative choice in the veteran is the correct decision. If Leftwich performs poorly then you bring in the rookie.

HeHateMe

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    If the Steelers liked what they saw out of dixon, he would have seen more playing time last season from a mere athletic standpoint, ala slash. Outside of the game where he HAD to play, he saw virtually zero playing time. It absolutely has to be leftwich unless something happens in training camp.
    Arians is NOT Mike Mullarky. He doesnt have slash like plays in his playbook. THAT'S why we didnt see Dixon in that capacity.

HeHateMe

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledSteeler
    Think about it...

With Big Ben out, we will probably be running the ball about 60-70% of the snaps. Other teams will know that and will be stacking the box, even run blitzing up the middle. Who will be the best QB to expose that?

The answer is Leftwich. Not only can he play-action pass (with a strength and accuracy), he also has experience reading blitzes. Dixon can scramble away from some of those blitzes but i wonder about his ability to diagnose and call audibles/check downs at the line of scrimmage. He did play well against a very good defense in Baltimore, but it was his inexperience that lost us that game, not his athleticism. The conservative choice in the veteran is the correct decision. If Leftwich performs poorly then you bring in the rookie.
    Rookie? Dixon is going into his 3rd season. The Steelers WON'T be running it 60 or 70% of the time. They threw the ball almost 30 times in Dixion 1st start of his career. Arians is a pass 1st coordinator and he will revert to what he likes, regardless of what the Rooney's want. Playcalling is dictated by what the defense is doing. This should always be considered.

Backup

User Info Menu

I just can't help thinking that the safest choice is Leftwich, between his experience and arm strength. But the best thing for the team is probably starting Dixon, who has the respect of the locker room and is the obvious heir apparent if and when things go further south with Ben.

If we have learned anything about Leftwich over the past couple of years, all he cares about is being the starting quarterback. I mean, he left a super bowl winning team to play in Tampa. You really can't blame the guy, but whos to say if he starts and is highly successful he won't cause some drama in the locker room? Isn't that what happened in Jacksonville? (I don't entirely remember what happened there)
    Some people subscribe to a permanent stasis of wishful thinking. They like to believe the world is made of marshmallows and filled with butterflies. I don't.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar

He's performed VERY well in our system. That has to count for something.
    Yeah, two years ago. Again, he might be a decent place-holder, but Dixon starting would mean we got something better. Either way, their just marking time until the return of the king!