Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hope for the running game

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Hope for the running game

I dunno about you all, but I really really hope that we the Steelers actually recommit to the running game. All the factors are there. A new stud G or C, no superstar QB to start the season, etc.

Anyway, who knows what they'll actually do, but this stat made me excited:

Top 10 RBs in Broken Tackles (from footballoutsiders.com, via Peter King)

1. Chris Johnson, Tennessee, 61
    2. Ray Rice, Baltimore, 57
    3. Adrian Peterson, Minnesota, 56.
    4. Maurice Jones-Drew, Jacksonville, 52
    5. Steven Jackson, St. Louis, 50
    6. Jonathan Stewart, Carolina, 46
    7. DeAngelo Williams, Carolina, 40
    7. Rashard Mendenhall, Pittsburgh, 40
    9. Fred Jackson, Buffalo, 35
    10. Knowshon Moreno, Denver, 33

Mendy tied at #7? I would've NEVER thought that from last year.

-Russ

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Hope for the running game

Dwyer will be the "steal" of the 2010 draft. Better OL play will help if Pouncey can actually live up to the hype.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

....and consistency in the guys on the line for the last couple of years should help to.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Dwyer will be the "steal" of the 2010 draft. Better OL play will help if Pouncey can actually live up to the hype.
    Lets hope-

I'm really looking for Legursky @ Center w/ Pouncey at RG.

That would give the team the power in the middle - combined with a real FB- to use Dwyer & Mendy... and actually run the ball.

Which, unfortunately, may be very necessary due to the issue(s) at WR & QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    Lets hope-

That would give the team the power in the middle - combined with a real FB- to use Dwyer & Mendy... and actually run the ball.

I'd actually prefer Pouncey at Center (highly unlikely) and Urbik at RG.

Don't expect a full time FB. I prefer the TEs back there. If you remember McHugh did a great job as lead blocker leading up to the last Super Bowl and he is back from injury.

Starter

User Info Menu

Lets hope-

Don't expect a full time FB. I prefer the TEs back there. If you remember McHugh did a great job as lead blocker leading up to the last Super Bowl and he is back from injury.
    I'm with you- I just don't see Pouncey as the starting C to open the season. I don't think there is any realistic chance he has all the line calls down... so he plays RG for a season.

In respect to the likely battle at C... mostly I want Hartwig on the bench. Right now- the team has been running w/ Legursky ahead of Urbik- but if it turns out that Urbik is the man- I'm all for it. Someone, anyone, with a little flipping push in the middle would be great.

On the FB front- well McHugh is ok, but as far as the TE/FB options go, I'd prefer Johnson. He is a much better blocker in the hole. Now on the outside / in space- that is another story. Plus he cant catch. OK- so Johnson sucks...

Maybe the new dude- I think his name is Bowling Ball- or some such thing. 6'0" & 270lbs??? Holy frikkin Terry Long! Anyway, the guy played RB in high school- lets hope we found our version of Le'Ron McClain.

Legend

User Info Menu

Lets hope-

I'm with you- I just don't see Pouncey as the starting C to open the season. I don't think there is any realistic chance he has all the line calls down... so he plays RG for a season.

In respect to the likely battle at C... mostly I want Hartwig on the bench. Right now- the team has been running w/ Legursky ahead of Urbik- but if it turns out that Urbik is the man- I'm all for it. Someone, anyone, with a little flipping push in the middle would be great.

On the FB front- well McHugh is ok, but as far as the TE/FB options go, I'd prefer Johnson. He is a much better blocker in the hole. Now on the outside / in space- that is another story. Plus he cant catch. OK- so Johnson sucks...

Maybe the new dude- I think his name is Bowling Ball- or some such thing. 6'0" & 270lbs??? Holy frikkin Terry Long! Anyway, the guy played RB in high school- lets hope we found our version of Le'Ron McClain.

Demetrius Taylor will likely need a year on the Practice Squad before he could step into a fulltime FB role just to learn the nuances of the position. The only way I see that he makes the final 53 is if he is a special teams demon. Coming from Va Tech helps him in that regard since they seem to be schooled on STs more than any team in college football.

Starter

User Info Menu

Lets hope-

Demetrius Taylor will likely need a year on the Practice Squad before he could step into a fulltime FB role just to learn the nuances of the position. The only way I see that he makes the final 53 is if he is a special teams demon. Coming from Va Tech helps him in that regard since they seem to be schooled on STs more than any team in college football.
    yeah, you are right-

I'm getting sick of typing that.

I think you're going to have to start posting threads about how great CJ Spiller is, again.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Lets hope-

I would love to see Legursky break out this season as well. He is a monster. Hopefully Kugler doesn't come in and just go with who started last year for the most part, other than Pouncey who I think we all expect to start at either RG or C. I hope he starts the best 5 linemen at his disposal regardless of draft position or monetary commitment.

Regarding Mendenhall and our run game....I think he would do himself a world of favors by running instead of spinning.
    @_Hellgrammite

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh

Regarding Mendenhall and our run game....I think he would do himself a world of favors by running instead of spinning.
    Yeah, Dorthy Hamill @ HB is a little goofy. But it is hard to argue with 4.6 ypc.

Spindenhall loses all momentum doing that- but what kills me the most about his spinning- is that he does it on interior runs!

I can see occasionally spinning in the open field - but between the tackles???