Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sweed injures Achilles

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Sweed injures Achilles

Eh, if it's torn, put him on IR; let him rehab it with the guys this year in the locker room and try again in 2011.

I sure would like to see a headline "Steelers catch a break this off season" but so far that one hasn't appeared.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim
    Eh, if it's torn, put him on IR; let him rehab it with the guys this year in the locker room and try again in 2011.

I sure would like to see a headline "Steelers catch a break this off season" but so far that one hasn't appeared.

if there is a lockout he may retire. Dude can't win... it's not meant to be.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Sweed injures Achilles in final workout

By Bob Labriola – Steelers Digest
    5-2-2010

It was a minicamp. A minicamp in May, no less, which means that the Steelers still are a couple of months away from a training camp that starts about six weeks before the first game that will count in the standings.

At this stage of a “season,” any news to come out of a padless practice tends to be bad, and so it was for the Steelers on Sunday, May 2, the final day of their weekend minicamp.

Limas Sweed injured an Achilles in what was the lightest of the five on-field workouts conducted over the three days. Coach Mike Tomlin said Sweed will be examined and his status will be determined over the next couple of days, but Achilles injuries can be serious.

Sweed, a second-round pick in 2008, missed the final three games last season and was placed on the reserve/non-football illness list by the Steelers on Dec. 22. He had returned to the team for the start of the offseason program and had participated in all of minicamp leading up to his injury.

“I don’t know where Limas stands at this point, because he just suffered what appears to be an Achilles injury,” said Tomlin in meeting with the media after the final minicamp practice. “Of course, I will have more information in regards to that, probably as early as (Monday). That probably takes precedence as we sit here today.”

Outside of that, Tomlin had little interest in making any pronouncements following a minicamp in May.

“A good weekend for us (because) we got a lot of teaching done,” said Tomlin. “Able to see some guys move around, and starting the process of preparing ourselves for the 2010 season. It’s just the beginning, kind of a barometer of where those guys are from a football understanding standpoint, from a football conditioning standpoint. And we can spend the next two weeks making the necessary adjustments both from a conditioning standpoint and a football standpoint to be prepared for the month of OTAs that follow. Three-a-week of course, starting the week of May 18, so we’re excited about that. Guys got a little barometer of where they are, a little direction in terms of where they need to go here in the short term, and that’s exciting.”

With Ben Roethlisberger absent from minicamp as part of the terms of the suspension levied by Commissioner Roger Goodell, the quarterbacks taking part were Byron Leftwich, Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch. Leftwich was getting his first on-field work with the team since being re-acquired in a pre-draft trade with Tampa Bay.

“Byron is a sharp guy,” said Tomlin. “He has reacquainted himself to our environment rather quickly, interacting with teammates, understanding the offensive concepts, being able to communicate those things. He’s doing a nice job, as are the other guys. We got a long process here for the rest of the offseason. We’re looking forward to watching those guys work and find rhythm with receivers and so forth, and just continuing to grow.”

That is the order in which they practiced – Leftwich, Dixon, Batch – but Tomlin said there was no significance to it, and no urgency in establishing an order that is.

“I wanted to give him as many opportunities to reacquaint him to this environment, with some of the people that he works with in that group and so forth,” said Tomlin. “The other guys will be given opportunities, no question.

“There will be a time (to decide on the quarterbacks), but it won’t be a time in the near future. There’s no need for it to be. The purpose of the offseason is to instruct. Organized team activity days are just that. They’re for teaching. I’m less concerned about evaluation. Some of the evaluation oriented things of course can’t take place in shorts. So it’s on my radar, but not very high on the to-do list at this point. More importantly than anything else, we just want the guys here working, communicating and getting better. Again, it’s on my radar, but it’s not a priority right now. It will be addressed at some point.”

Of Roethlisberger, Tomlin said he continues to stay in touch with him, but that any timetable for his return to the team will be determined by Goodell.

A priority of this minicamp for Tomlin was to see how the rookies assimilated themselves during their first taste of professional football. In that way, Tomlin was able to establish a base-line for the new guys, which will give the coaches a starting point with each of them.

“I wanted to see how they respond to failure,” said Tomlin. “When they mess something up, how do they take the instruction? Do they carry it over to the next play? Does it snowball? Are they able to put it behind them? It’s a little window into how they would potentially ride the roller-coaster that comes with being a player in this league. That’s all I was really looking for from those guys. I was pretty sure they were going to make mistakes because I’ve been in enough of these camps and they confirmed that. And I was able to look and see how they responded to the corrections, criticisms and instructions. And really that’s all that you’re looking for in terms of the young guys.”

STEELERS NOTES: Of the hamstring injury that kept Hines Ward out of all but the first practice, Tomlin said, “Hines had a hamstring injury, but he is elderly. He’ll be fine.”

[url="http://www.steelers.com/news/article...a-e81da18da355"]http://www.steelers.com/news/article...a-e81da18da355[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Looks like our 6 WR's (if we keep 6) will be: Ward, Wallace, Randle El, Battle, Sanders, and Brown. Sweed likely on I.R. (if the injury is serious) and will try again in 2011.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim

if there is a lockout he may retire. Dude can't win... it's not meant to be.

yeah, Limas couldn't catch a break...or a pass.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Looks like our 6 WR's (if we keep 6) will be: Ward, Wallace, Randle El, Battle, Sanders, and Brown. Sweed likely on I.R. (if the injury is serious) and will try again in 2011.
    Absolutely. If it is serious, then you put him on IR and he's back in the same spot next year...you and Jim are the only other ones who seem to see it that way (at least in this thread). Those of you who say he's finished as a Steeler or it just wasn't meant to be are being overly pessimistic in my opinion.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Absolutely. If it is serious, then you put him on IR and he's back in the same spot next year...you and Jim are the only other ones who seem to see it that way (at least in this thread). Those of you who say he's finished as a Steeler or it just wasn't meant to be are being overly pessimistic in my opinion.

doesn't Sweed's rookie contract expire at the end of this season?

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hope Limas recovers and comes back strong.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well if it is serious, the deck is seriously stacked against him. But I always tell my players "adversity doesn't create character, it reveals it" let's see what kind of character this kid has. hopefully it isn't serious...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

doesn't Sweed's rookie contract expire at the end of this season?
    I was wondering the same thing and thought it expired after the following season. Either way, we won't have to break the bank if the team does decide to sign him to another contract. I hate looking at it like that because from all accounts, he's a humble, hard-working guy, but it's something to consider.

I just really hope that the thing didn't pop and he's able to compete in camp this year.