Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Wish Come True

Legend

User Info Menu

A Wish Come True

A Wish Come True

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
    [url="http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/A-Wish-Come-True/2303e2c0-125a-41ff-b0f6-b921a4b03926"]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 21a4b03926[/url]

The NFL Draft was all about making dreams come true for college football players who are now embarking on a new football journey.

It was also a dream come for a young Steelers fan.

Zachary Hatfield is a typical 15-year old. He loves football and he holds his favorite team, the Steelers, close to his heart. But for him, this past year has been far from typical.

Hatfield’s life turned upside when he suffered a heart attack, something virtually unheard of for a kid his age. He underwent tests and in the process was diagnosed with leukemia last fall.

As if things weren’t tough enough on the family, in December they suffered another blow when they lost their home in Belfry, Kentucky to a fire. They were forced to relocate to Cincinnati while Hatfield undergoes treatment.

But this past week, Hatfield got to enjoy being a kid thanks to the NFL, Steelers and Make-A-Wish Foundation. Hatfield’s wish to attend the NFL Draft and announce the Steelers number one draft pick was granted. So when the moment came, he headed to the podium, decked out in a Steelers jersey, with Commissioner Roger Goodell and announced Maurkice Pouncey as the team’s top pick.

“I wanted to do something original,” said Hatfield. “I never heard of anything like that. I just thought going to the draft and announcing the Steelers pick would be fun. At first I was kind of nervous. Once I got up there it was really exciting and a lot of fun.”

And he handled it like a pro.

“He seemed really excited to do it and he did a great job,” said Steelers President Art Rooney II. “I am glad it worked out the way it did and hopefully get to meet him one day.”

Hatfield, who lists Terry Bradshaw, Joe Greene and Jack Lambert as his favorite former Steelers and Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu and James Harrison as his current favorite players, became a Steelers fan when he was eight-years old and just getting interested in the sport.

“I liked them because of their tradition and the way they run their organization,” said Hatfield.

Hatfield and his family got to spend three days in New York, seeing the city and attending the NFL Play 60 Youth Football Festival in Central Park.

For Hatfield, it was the perfect escape from the tough reality he has had to face of late.

“At times it was very hard,” said Hatfield of the past year. “You have to set your mind to knowing you can get through this. If you set your mind to something, you can do it.

“This experience has been awesome. It took my mind off of everything. It was really awesome.”

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: A Wish Come True

I wonder if morons chanting "She Said No" when he was brought up to the podium were part of his wish.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ummmm I doubt It

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

and to those morons' credit, they seemed to stop once they figured out a kid was doing the presentation.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Yeah, kudos to those douchebags for doing what they were supposed to do anyway...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    Yeah, kudos to those douchebags for doing what they were supposed to do anyway...
    At least it wasn't here in Philly. The animals here once booed Mike Schmidt during Mike Schmidt Appreciation Day and Eagles fans booed Santa Claus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    At least it wasn't here in Philly. The animals here once booed Mike Schmidt during Mike Schmidt Appreciation Day and Eagles fans booed Santa Claus.
    Yup -- the difference between fans in most cities and those here in Philly is that Philly fans would have kept booing even after learning the kid was from make a wish.

I felt really bad for him that part of his moment was spoiled.

Legend

User Info Menu

If the kid yelled out "STFU, you LOSERS!" before making the pick, then my wish would have come true.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim
    and to those morons' credit, they seemed to stop once they figured out a kid was doing the presentation.
    Agreed. I rewatched it after reading about it here and saw the same thing.....they stopped once the kid was announced.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    If the kid yelled out "STFU, you LOSERS!" before making the pick, then my wish would have come true.
    Or if the kid said, "She didn't say no as she was following Ben from bar to bar"