Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers Redeem themselves...Worthington!

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers Redeem themselves...Worthington!

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk
    Um, when was the last time a pittsburgh final draft pick made the team and/or made an impact?
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Backup

User Info Menu

Ohio State's d-line was impressive overall last season and we took half of it this year. I like what I've read about Worthington, he looks like a prototype 3-4 DE.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    Um, when was the last time a pittsburgh final draft pick made the team and/or made an impact?
    Brett Keisel was a 7th round pick...
    Da$m, I forgot all about that. What a stud.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Oh heck yeah...Doug Worthington. Great 7th round pick up..didn't even know he was available.
    I was wondering when he would get drafted. Love the pick! Worthington > Gibson.
    Yea, I'm curious Bucks and Shawn. How do you feel about Gibson and Worthington? My good friend tells me he really liked Gibson and thought a lot of Worthington as well.
    IMO, Worthington was one of the reasons Gibson had a solid year. He's consistent and eats up blocks which allowed our DE's to make plays. He reminds me a lot of Aaron Smith.

I'm not sure what the Steelers are going to do with Gibson....I'm guessing they'll convert him to a OLB. He's a little light and struggles against the run. I will admit though that he really came on during the last month of the season and practically lived in the offensive backfield. Learning from Harrison and Woodley will do nothing but help.

Legend

User Info Menu

"just when i thought you couldn't get any dumber... you totally redeem yourself"

Legend

User Info Menu

Just last season, we drafted D.J. Johnson with the 241st overall pick in the 7th round (the last of the regular 7th round picks before the 7th round comp picks started), and he played in 15 games as a rookie last year, starting 3 of them!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

DOUG WORTHINGTON

Defensive Tackle
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    6:05.0-292
    Athol Springs, N.Y.
    Saint Francis High School
    7th Round – 242nd Overall

2009 SEASON
    Played in all 13 games in his senior season…had 42 total tackles (22 solo), five tackles for loss and two sacks…had one fumble recovery…was a part of the defensive line that held opponents to 90 rushing yards per game, which was seventh best in the nation, 171.5 passing yards per game and 262 total yards per game on offense…earned his third letter.

2008 SEASON
    Rotating starter along the defensive line…34 tackles for the year…three tackles in the Purdue win…six tackles against Penn State…four tackles and recovered a Northwestern fumble…sack and two tackles at Illinois…six tackles and a TFL in win over Michigan…eight-yard sack in Fiesta Bowl…second-year letterman.

2007 SEASON
    Started 11 games in 2007…recorded 24 tackles for the season…sack and four tackles in the Wisconsin win…forced a Kent State fumble…interception against Michigan State…first-year letterman.

2006 SEASON
    Played in seven games…totaled three tackles, which came among the last five games of the regular season (Indiana, Minnesota and Northwestern).

2005 SEASON
    Played on the scout team…injured his right knee on the final day of bowl practice before the team broke for the holiday season…had surgery and sat out winter and spring.

HIGH SCHOOL
    Parade All-American at Saint Francis High School in Athol Springs, N.Y…rated the No. 2 prospect overall in the state of New York…totaled 74 tackles, including seven sacks as a senior…had 67 tackles and five sacks as a junior…also a standout basketball player.

PERSONAL
    Son of Doug and Andrea Worthington…father played football at the University of Colorado…majored in communications.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Just last season, we drafted D.J. Johnson with the 241st overall pick in the 7th round (the last of the regular 7th round picks before the 7th round comp picks started), and he played in 15 games as a rookie last year, starting 3 of them!
    Ah yes. He was quiet yet contributed nicely.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Oh heck yeah...Doug Worthington. Great 7th round pick up..didn't even know he was available.
    I was wondering when he would get drafted. Love the pick! Worthington > Gibson.
    Yea, I'm curious Bucks and Shawn. How do you feel about Gibson and Worthington? My good friend tells me he really liked Gibson and thought a lot of Worthington as well.
    I'm not a big Gibson fan even though he has all the tools to be great. He is fast, explosive and strong. Many people were speaking about him being a late first/early second pick. So, why did he fall? I believe the reason is because the scouts seen what I seen. Gibson is only good in space...sideline to sideline...open pursuit of the QB. He doesn't like contact. He will do anything to avoid mixing it up. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. He was productive in college mainly because the OSU D was really that good. He got alot of open shots at the QB. Can he become a great pick? I think so...but he isn't made of the mold of typical Steeler LBrs. Harrison and Woodley need to punch him in the mouth and man him up a bit.

Now, Worthington...I am a HUGE fan. This is the kind of guy I like...total opposite of Gibson. Average athletic talent but mean...loves contact...loves punching guys in the mouth...tries to punish people. This is a Steeler guy. So, why did he fall to the 7th? Well, that's easy...he is a minimal threat to rush the QB and he has average measureables. But, he is strong, mean and a terrific run stopping DT. He is perfect for a 3-4 DE...I mean prototypical. He makes this team and starts in place of Keisel in 2 seasons.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    "just when i thought you couldn't get any dumber... you totally redeem yourself"

Great quote.
    Trolls are people too.