Thread: Goodell says Roethlisberger remorseful

Goodell says Roethlisberger remorseful

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said he believes Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger realizes he's made some bad choices.

"I think Ben has a tremendous amount of remorse here," Goodell said. "I think he recognizes he made some bad decisions and things have to change. I think he wants to do that and needs some help to do that. We would like to support him so he can make better decisions going forward."

Goodell, who spoke to ESPN's Chris Berman before the NFL draft on Thursday, said the league did "a lot of work" before suspending Roethlisberger for six games on Wednesday for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy. Goodell handed down the punishment a week after prosecutors decided not to charge Roethlisberger in a case involving a 20-year-old college student who accused him of sexually assaulting her in a Georgia nightclub in March.

"We did a lot of our own discussions, spoke to a lot of the people involved in the investigation down in Georgia," Goodell said. "Then you have to get counsel and perspective from a lot of different people and reach a conclusion you think is going to change the individual's behavior."

Roethlisberger is the first player suspended by Goodell under the conduct policy who hasn't been arrested or charged with a crime.

"My No.1 responsibility as commissioner is the integrity of the game and I have to protect that integrity," Goodell said. "It's for the players, the coaches, everyone in our league, including the fans. I take that very seriously."

Roethlisberger, a two-time Super Bowl winner and the highest-paid player in franchise history with a $102 million contract, also is being sued in a civil case by a Nevada hotel employee who has accused him of sexually assaulting her in 2008.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

espn.com

Re: Goodell says Roethlisberger remorseful

Can we just start referring to it as a 4 game suspension? That is all it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    Can we just start referring to it as a 4 game suspension? That is all it will be.
    Yea, really, it will never be a six-game suspension. If he complies, it is four games and if he screws up again, he will be gone for the year.

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Well Ben, either it's because the Steelers wanted to keep you all along, or couldn't get the value for a trade, but you are still a Steeler.

And as a result, here's hoping you get your head around how close you were to not being one.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    Yea, really, it will never be a six-game suspension. If he complies, it is four games and if he screws up again, he will be gone for the year.

Actually, if he screws up again, he will be gone, period.

tomco09

"My No.1 responsibility as commissioner is the integrity of the game and I have to protect that integrity," Goodell said. "It's for the players, the coaches, everyone in our league, including the fans. I take that very seriously."

Oh really!!??? Hey Rodge, where were ya on the Pats spygate saga....well I hope you don't drop the ball on this lil nugget, 4 games with possibility reducing to two should be adequate since it seems not to be repeated bad judgment...... not yet at least

Colts: Team will not discipline Eric Foster
    - 4/21/2010 6:12:47 PMBookmark and Share

Indianapolis Colts President Bill Polian says the team will not discipline defensive tackle Eric Foster, who faces a sexual assault lawsuit.

A 22-year-old hotel receptionist is suing Foster, claiming that he sexually assaulted her in his room at an Indianapolis hotel before the AFC Championship game Jan. 24.

Polian said Wednesday that the team has no reason to discipline Foster because police investigated the incident and prosecutors later decided not to file charges.

He says Foster remains with the team and will participate in its offseason program.

The Associated Press is not naming the woman because it generally does not identify alleged victims of sexual assault.

Legend

Ben's reputation will forever be stained just like Ray Lewis', however I think Ben will do his best to get right and will be great for us going forward. The "tough love" he has gotten from the commish and the Rooney's will prove to be the best thing for him going forward.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!