Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The "What I Would Have Done" Draft (My Real-Time Mock)

Hall of Famer

Re: The "What I Would Have Done" Draft (My Real-Time Mock)

I could jsut see it now
    Pouncey "coach, every time Ben gets set to call the cadence, he starts wiggling his fingers in a weird way...."
    https://cex.io/r/0/birtikidis/0/
    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    and RB when was the last time that we drafted a C that worked out (remember they were all later round picks...)
    Dawson was a second round pick (44th pick overall). That's not exactly late. And he worked out just fine.

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    4.118 ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    and RB when was the last time that we drafted a C that worked out (remember they were all later round picks...)
    Dawson was a second round pick (44th pick overall). That's not exactly late. And he worked out just fine.
    so we shoudl draft a center high once every 22 years?

People keep saying that drafting a back up at tackle is more value then a guy who can step on the field and probably start in year one. how exactly is that value? Pouncey filled a NEED and was the BPA (including charecter issues -- wilson and his DUI's...)
    Bulaga would have completed for the starting spot at RG as a rookie.

Pouncey will compete for the starting spot at RG as a rookie.

That's similar value from the start right there.

The reason why I think that the #4 OT offers more value than the #1 C, is because top centers can typically be had in the late first round where we usually pick, but multiple tackles are typically off the board in the top half of the first round, so we rarely have a shot at a top prospect at OT (except when we are up here at #1.

I REALLY liked Alex Mack last year, but I preferred to trade up for Michael Oher when he fell within reach. This year, I like Pouncey, but when Bulaga fell into our laps without having to trade up or anything, that was my preference.

What happens if we are not able to sign Colon to a long term extension after his one year tender expires? It would have been nice to have Bulaga in our back pocket just in case such a scenario came to fruition.

If we have a decent season, we will not be able to draft a top OT prospect next year like LSU's Joseph Barksdale or Wisconsin's Gabe Carimi. But even if we won the Super Bowl and picked at #32, we should be able to take a solid center prospect like USC's Kris O'Dowd, Penn State's Stefen Wisniewski, or even Maurkice's twin brother Mike who is still at Florida for another year.

We better hope that after jettisoning Holmes (who would have been due for a huge payday if he did not screw everything up), there is enough money now to re-sign Colon, because if we lost him, we'd be in dire straits without any potential replacement that is even minimally competant.
    "He's Really That Good" - Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin on Maurkice Pouncey
    I certainly hope so. My favorable option of Bulaga is not meant to be a slight on Pouncey. I just thought picking as high as #18 (which tends to be somewhat rare for us), I would have preferred to go for a top OT like Bulaga or a top NT like Dan Williams, because elite players at those positions are usually difficult to find unless you pick awfully high. Top centers, though, can typically be found later. That's my only beef. I like Pouncey's skill set and think he can be a contributor and an upgrade for us.

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Pouncey is a 'once in 22 years' type player- much like Ben is a 'once in 25 years' type QB....
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Hall of Famer

Ruthless, that's where we make our differences. I don't think Baluga is that great of a player. I wuold have been seriously bummed if we had taken him. to me it was either pouncey or weatherspoon when our pick came up.

Well, when that guy dominates for 13 seasons, and is then replaced by a quality veteran free agent who starts for another 6 seasons, yeah, you can afford to wait that long. The past few seasons of Mahan and Hartwig showed us that it is likely about time to pick one high again. I just thought we'd do it last year when there were 3 legit prospects (Alex Mack, Eric Wood, and Max Unger) or next year, when there is expected to be 3 legit prospects (Kris O'Dowd, Stefen Wisniewski, Mike Pouncey), instead of this season when there was only 1 legit prospect (Maurkice Pouncey) and then a huge dropoff, which can result in a player being somewhat overdrafted because it can lead to a team thinking that if we don't take this guy now, there are not other comparable alternatives that are even close to this guy this year. That is likely why Colbert was not interested in trading down from #18 when other teams were calling.

Ruthless, that's where we make our differences. I don't think Baluga is that great of a player. I wuold have been seriously bummed if we had taken him. to me it was either pouncey or weatherspoon when our pick came up.
    Fair enough. I actually think that Pouncey has more upside that Bulaga, but I thought that Bulaga was one of the safer picks in the draft (although he doesn't necessarily have a huge ceiling, he seems to have a stable floor, such that I don't foresee very much bust potential there). Nothing about Bulaga screamed "great" but he seemed to be at least "very good" at pretty much everything that is required of him, making him a well-rounded prospect.

Hall of Famer

I think He'll be a decent RT (probably as good as Colon) but no better. Colon is one of our better O lineman so that isn't a big diss on him. Pouncey wasn't my first pick, he was just the first Lineman that I would have taken. my guys were all long gone before our pick... i was really hoping for E. Thomas...

Hall of Famer

Fair enough. I actually think that Pouncey has more upside that Bulaga, but I thought that Bulaga was one of the safer picks in the draft (although he doesn't necessarily have a huge ceiling, he seems to have a stable floor, such that I don't foresee very much bust potential there). Nothing about Bulaga screamed "great" but he seemed to be at least "very good" at pretty much everything that is required of him, making him a well-rounded prospect.
    last thing before i go to bed... but doesn't your description of baluga define the word "reach"? lower cieling... higher floor... safer pick... near his potential... #4 OT (at 1...