Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ASN and Ben

Re: ASN and Ben

Personally recently diagnosed with bipolar and general anxiety disorders... medications are making a HUGE difference in my life. My job performance is improved, my personal relationships are better... but, I ended up getting the diagnoses only AFTER developing my faith and choosing to leave behind destructive addictions - in other words, to me, both are correct. Brain chemistry can make it HARDER for a person to live within social boundaries, but a person has to accept those boundaries and choose to live within them before medication, counseling, therapy, whatever, will do any good.

Hopefully, the most important and underappreciated aspect of this whole episode with Ben turns out to be the "intensive behavioral counseling", and if he does indeed suffer from a personality disorder, the high priced doctor hired by the team or league helps fix it.

Read an article in SI last year about Zack Greinke, the reigning AL Cy Young winner for those of you non - baseball fans, and how the Royals helped him deliver on his promise by getting him treatment for anxiety disorder, turning him from the 5 - 17, 5.50 ERA bum he was in '06 to the practically unhittable beast he was in '09. In fixing his issues between his ears through therapy and medication, they helped him realize his potential.

If we can just turn Ben into a responsible citizen, I'll take it.

And Shawn, thanks for providing something that helps me make a little sense of Ben's seemingly senseless behavior. Doesn't excuse an ounce of it, but is useful in helping one to forgive it and have hope that more of the same isn't in the future.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8
    Or sometimes a guy goes out to a bar, gets accused of something, charges aren't brought but everyone in the world believes 3 drunk sorrority girls.

I wonder if there's a term for that affliction.......believing everything that is read in the tabloids and taking it at face value?
    Yup, it's called 'sheepism'

Quote Originally Posted by TallyStiller
    And Shawn, thanks for providing something that helps me make a little sense of Ben's seemingly senseless behavior. Doesn't excuse an ounce of it, but is useful in helping one to forgive it and have hope that more of the same isn't in the future.

No problem Tally...I'm glad someone took the post seriously. It's jokes to those who don't suffer from some sort of mental affliction. But, to those with these illnesses it can be hell. I appreciate you sharing something very personal.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by AngryAsian
    I hope one day we are able to see a pic of this sorority girl. She better be a knockout for all this trouble. I mean $2,800,000.00+ beautiful!

For as much as Ben risked, I hope she was a 10 with a snatch that smelled like bubble gum.

I hope she was much better looking than the gal in Tahoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    I hope one day we are able to see a pic of this sorority girl. She better be a knockout for all this trouble. I mean $2,800,000.00+ beautiful!

For as much as Ben risked, I hope she was a 10 with a snatch that smelled like bubble gum.

Based on the pics of girls Ben likes to be photographed, I'd say probably more like a 6 or 7.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74

Based on the pics of girls Ben likes to be photographed, I'd say probably more like a 6 or 7.
    But drinking alcohol results in a 3-4 point up-shift. So, I guess, that explains it.

Quote Originally Posted by TallyStiller

Actually, none of this has been a proven affliction for Ben, Shawn just brought it up as a possibility. The jury is stil out on whether or not he could just be a douschbag.