Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pens or the Draft?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Pens or the Draft?

I'm having some real problems here in DC.

I LOVE the draft and I LOVE the Pens. My wife also loves both (and 1 big reason why I love my wife)

We have to put 2 young kids (ages 2.5 and 5) to bed and my wife is prego and gets tired easy and will only make it to about 11pm if lucky, so here's the schedule:

-turn off all phones and no internet. Lockdown begins.
    -Have pizza delivered and put on the Pens game at 7 or whenever it is on cause the kids will watch that.
    -Start the DVR for the draft.
    -After 1st period, wipe the kids down (no bath tonight) and throw them in bed amidst the protesting. No book reading tonight.
    -Scurry downstairs for period 2.
    -At second intermission, start the draft. I hate missing all the bonus precoverage, but no way to get this all in otherwise.
    Hopefully by skipping commercials, we'll catch up some in the draft.
    Go back for period 3 and pray the Pens dust them pretty quickly, so we can just switch entirely to the draft. A close Pens game or God forbid OT and I'm in trouble.
    -Get to the draft full on, skipping commercials. Gotta get to the Steelers pick at least, then maybe the wife will concede to bed and letting me watch the rest of the 1st round on my own.
    We also have to cancel recording 30Rock and Adv. of New Christine, which we like.

Anyone else struggling tonight with overlap. I have a feeling I'll be yelling at my kids a bit tonight. I've been preparing them that tonight will be stressful, but the 2yr old just doesn't understand yet. He's old enough (2.5) to test me, but not understand how some days get more backlash than others. Tonight is a good night to learn

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Pens or the Draft?

I was waiting for someone to bring this up. I will proly be watching the Pens, but switching over very, very frequently to the draft. It sucks, in this case, that there are sparce commercial breaks in hockey. (can't believe I said that), but in this case it's true. I just couldn't wait until aftre the Pens game to find out about Ben, even though I firmly believe he isn't going to be traded.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wear the kids out by 6:30 and get them to be before 7.

Switch between the Pens game and the draft at every commercial. You should be able to almost keep up.

Watch the other shows on hulu.com.

I've got 4 simultaneous shows on that I like tonight.

I'll just watch the pens and play catchup on the draft and watch the others on the internet later.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wearing out the <last channel> button on the remote tonight once the draft starts.

Backup

User Info Menu

I watch everything on the internet. I don't have a TV.
    I'll be doing the following: Pens video/draft audio.

The issue I have is picking my kid up at the bus stop 2 hours into the draft. That could be Steeler pick time. At least I don't have to worry about putting my kid to bed in the middle of it. The first round/Thursday's draft should be done well before 5:30pm here.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    Wearing out the <last channel> button on the remote tonight once the draft starts.

I will be watching the Pens game and switching over to the draft on commercial breaks and during intermissions. I will also have my laptop queued up to the draft...I couldn't possibly stay off the internet and DVR the draft and watch it later (I'll try to get onto the chatroom on this board so I can keep abreast of who has been picked while I am watching the Pens game...probably won't post too much, but I'll follow along with what everyone is saying during stoppages in play). If the Pens game is still on when the Steelers go on the clock, I will likely have to switch over to the draft during that time (and with my luck I will probably miss a huge goal).

As for the kids, I normally read them a book in bed at night, but this will be a rare occasion in which I ask Jake to read his sister a book instead (since they are 8 and 5, that is an option for me that I can take out of the arsenal on rare occassions like this).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The real problem is the kids. They will distract the heck out of us (as kids will) fro the 7-8 hour, which may be the most important part of the night, setting the stage for later excitement. As was said, not as many commercials in hockey, so that will be a problem. I think I will take the kids out early from daycare, but they get a good workout there from their friends. Far better than this 40 year old man can do.We may get them ready and let them come down for period 2, but they'll lose some interest after 1 full period. That's alot for that age. They would rather run and pillage the house than sit and watch a game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    The real problem is the kids. They will distract the heck out of us (as kids will) fro the 7-8 hour, which may be the most important part of the night, setting the stage for later excitement. As was said, not as many commercials in hockey, so that will be a problem. I think I will take the kids out early from daycare, but they get a good workout there from their friends. Far better than this 40 year old man can do.We may get them ready and let them come down for period 2, but they'll lose some interest after 1 full period. That's alot for that age. They would rather run and pillage the house than sit and watch a game.
    give them benadryl.

totally kiddding. not serious at all.

but my dog takes it for allergies and it knocks her out.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Grey's Anatomy.

psych!

Pens all the way. Check in with the draft during commercials and period intermissions.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Pens on Justin.TV...

Draft on NFL.com..
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"