Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: If Thursday is over and Ben isn't traded, are we safe?

  1. #11
    Pro Bowler pfelix73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic US
    Posts
    2,224

    Re: If Thursday is over and Ben isn't traded, are we safe?

    I don't even think Dixon will be starting those games - Leftwich will.

    Could be wrong, but Leftwich has more experience.

    Ben ain't going anywhere.

    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

    2012 MNF Executive Champion






  2. #12
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,350

    Re: If Thursday is over and Ben isn't traded, are we safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    No. If Lefty or Dixon play well and the Steelers come out of the suspension in a say 3-1 or 4-2 (depending on how long) I say he is back on the block.
    I see your reasoning, but regular season play and playoff play are two different things. FEW QBs have the performance under pressure that Ben does. It would also depends on WHY we go 3-1 or 4-2. If the D plays like it did in 08, stifling and giving up 11-12 points per game ....
    You need to play the regular season to get to the playoffs don't you? Every QB that comes into this league has never played a playoff game before. How a QB plays in the playoff is just something you evaluate if & when he gets there. If Dixon or Lefty win games by performing well, the Steelers will be open to move Ben. If we struggle and Ben comes out of the suspension a changed man, he will be given the chance to rally the team around him. What Ben has done for the Steelers in the past is in the past in the Steelers eyes...He has to start from scratch. As much as I like Ben, I stand behind the Steelers decisions no matter what.
    1st (T-D) Kelvin Benjamin WR
    2nd Bradley Roby CB
    3a Kareem Martin DE
    3b C.J. Fiedorowicz TE
    4th Christian Jones LB
    5a Dri Archer RB
    5b Kevin Pierre-Louis LB
    6a Beau Allen NT
    6b Shaquille Richardson CB
    7th John Brown WR

  3. #13
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,149

    Re: If Thursday is over and Ben isn't traded, are we safe?

    [quote=JUST-PLAIN-NASTY]
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    Quote Originally Posted by "JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":26ge144v
    No. If Lefty or Dixon play well and the Steelers come out of the suspension in a say 3-1 or 4-2 (depending on how long) I say he is back on the block.
    I see your reasoning, but regular season play and playoff play are two different things. FEW QBs have the performance under pressure that Ben does. It would also depends on WHY we go 3-1 or 4-2. If the D plays like it did in 08, stifling and giving up 11-12 points per game ....
    You need to play the regular season to get to the playoffs don't you? Every QB that comes into this league has never played a playoff game before. How a QB plays in the playoff is just something you evaluate if & when he gets there. If Dixon or Lefty win games by performing well, the Steelers will be open to move Ben. If we struggle and Ben comes out of the suspension a changed man, he will be given the chance to rally the team around him. What Ben has done for the Steelers in the past is in the past in the Steelers eyes...He has to start from scratch. As much as I like Ben, I stand behind the Steelers decisions no matter what.[/quote:26ge144v]

    Not seeing the connection with the price of tea in China. Why would you assume Ben would be a downgrade? Ben has been "tried by fire and proven" as far as playoffs go. Playoff performance wins championships. Ben is proven there. You don't throw that away because of the euphoria of some unexpected wins.

  4. #14
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,350

    Re: If Thursday is over and Ben isn't traded, are we safe?

    [quote=SteelAbility]
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    Quote Originally Posted by "JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3uemfd9t
    No. If Lefty or Dixon play well and the Steelers come out of the suspension in a say 3-1 or 4-2 (depending on how long) I say he is back on the block.
    I see your reasoning, but regular season play and playoff play are two different things. FEW QBs have the performance under pressure that Ben does. It would also depends on WHY we go 3-1 or 4-2. If the D plays like it did in 08, stifling and giving up 11-12 points per game ....
    You need to play the regular season to get to the playoffs don't you? Every QB that comes into this league has never played a playoff game before. How a QB plays in the playoff is just something you evaluate if & when he gets there. If Dixon or Lefty win games by performing well, the Steelers will be open to move Ben. If we struggle and Ben comes out of the suspension a changed man, he will be given the chance to rally the team around him. What Ben has done for the Steelers in the past is in the past in the Steelers eyes...He has to start from scratch. As much as I like Ben, I stand behind the Steelers decisions no matter what.
    Not seeing the connection with the price of tea in China. Why would you assume Ben would be a downgrade? Ben has been "tried by fire and proven" as far as playoffs go. Playoff performance wins championships. Ben is proven there. You don't throw that away because of the euphoria of some unexpected wins.[/quote:3uemfd9t]


    What??? English please. What the he!! is the price of tea in China thing? Where do you see I said Ben is a downgrade? "Playoff performance wins championships"...Thanks for clearing that up. The Steelers being open to trading Ben after he serves his suspension has nothing to do with the "euphoria of some unexpected wins". It has more to do with that tiny little incident in Georgia which tarnished the Steelers organization. If the Steelers can put a good product on the field during Ben's suspension...He won't be safe until the Steelers are 100% sure they could rely on him.

    I love Ben and know he is playoff proven. There isn't another QB in the league I would want on the field. It is the off the field garbage that is the concern. I don't want that, most Steeler fans don't want that, and most importantly the Rooneys don't want that. The questions was "are we safe". My answer was if the Steelers QBs play well and win games while Ben serves his suspension...The STeelers will still be "open" to move Ben. Didn't say they "should" or "will"! That was the question and Ben remaining in Pittsburgh will not be known until he proves he changed his ways and is walking a straight line. If he proves that through the 2010 season...I think he stays in Pittsburgh. Don't think for a second that everything is "A O K" if Ben is able to put on a Steelers uniform again after his suspension. That is only another step of a long journey in his comeback.
    1st (T-D) Kelvin Benjamin WR
    2nd Bradley Roby CB
    3a Kareem Martin DE
    3b C.J. Fiedorowicz TE
    4th Christian Jones LB
    5a Dri Archer RB
    5b Kevin Pierre-Louis LB
    6a Beau Allen NT
    6b Shaquille Richardson CB
    7th John Brown WR

  5. #15
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,149

    Re: If Thursday is over and Ben isn't traded, are we safe?

    [quote=JUST-PLAIN-NASTY][quote=SteelAbility]
    Quote Originally Posted by "JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":hw60pr99
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    Quote Originally Posted by "JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":hw60pr99
    No. If Lefty or Dixon play well and the Steelers come out of the suspension in a say 3-1 or 4-2 (depending on how long) I say he is back on the block.
    I see your reasoning, but regular season play and playoff play are two different things. FEW QBs have the performance under pressure that Ben does. It would also depends on WHY we go 3-1 or 4-2. If the D plays like it did in 08, stifling and giving up 11-12 points per game ....
    You need to play the regular season to get to the playoffs don't you? Every QB that comes into this league has never played a playoff game before. How a QB plays in the playoff is just something you evaluate if & when he gets there. If Dixon or Lefty win games by performing well, the Steelers will be open to move Ben. If we struggle and Ben comes out of the suspension a changed man, he will be given the chance to rally the team around him. What Ben has done for the Steelers in the past is in the past in the Steelers eyes...He has to start from scratch. As much as I like Ben, I stand behind the Steelers decisions no matter what.
    Not seeing the connection with the price of tea in China. Why would you assume Ben would be a downgrade? Ben has been "tried by fire and proven" as far as playoffs go. Playoff performance wins championships. Ben is proven there. You don't throw that away because of the euphoria of some unexpected wins.[/quote:hw60pr99]


    What??? English please. What the he!! is the price of tea in China thing? Where do you see I said Ben is a downgrade? "Playoff performance wins championships"...Thanks for clearing that up. The Steelers being open to trading Ben after he serves his suspension has nothing to do with the "euphoria of some unexpected wins". It has more to do with that tiny little incident in Georgia which tarnished the Steelers organization. If the Steelers can put a good product on the field during Ben's suspension...He won't be safe until the Steelers are 100% sure they could rely on him.

    I love Ben and know he is playoff proven. There isn't another QB in the league I would want on the field. It is the off the field garbage that is the concern. I don't want that, most Steeler fans don't want that, and most importantly the Rooneys don't want that. The questions was "are we safe". My answer was if the Steelers QBs play well and win games while Ben serves his suspension...The STeelers will still be "open" to move Ben. Didn't say they "should" or "will"! That was the question and Ben remaining in Pittsburgh will not be known until he proves he changed his ways and is walking a straight line. If he proves that through the 2010 season...I think he stays in Pittsburgh. Don't think for a second that everything is "A O K" if Ben is able to put on a Steelers uniform again after his suspension. That is only another step of a long journey in his comeback.[/quote:hw60pr99]

    "The price of tea in China" is an expression used when someone makes an argument that one considers minimal or irrelevant. My point was that "you need to play in the regular season to get to the playoffs, don't you?" is minimal or irrelevant insofar as putting Ben up for a trade. I'm pretty sure you disagree. I think somewhere in the mix we crossed signals or that perceived intent got mixed up with real intent.

    Anyway, good points and clarification.

    I just think Ben's playoff performance is way too strong for the Steelers to put him on the block, even if we play 0.750+ ball without him. Of course, that's pending his progress. I"m going to guess by that time that confidence level in the off-field will have moved up (but not necesarily).

  6. #16
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,350

    Re: If Thursday is over and Ben isn't traded, are we safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    "The price of tea in China" is an expression used when someone makes an argument that one considers minimal or irrelevant. My point was that "you need to play in the regular season to get to the playoffs, don't you?" is minimal or irrelevant insofar as putting Ben up for a trade. I'm pretty sure you disagree. I think somewhere in the mix we crossed signals or that perceived intent got mixed up with real intent.

    Anyway, good points and clarification.

    I just think Ben's playoff performance is way too strong for the Steelers to put him on the block, even if we play 0.750+ ball without him. Of course, that's pending his progress. I"m going to guess by that time that confidence level in the off-field will have moved up (but not necesarily).
    I apologize...You didn't pick up on my sarcasm. You didn't have to explain yourself.

    Maybe it would have been easier for me to just say that my comments have nothing to do with what Ben can do on the field. Any & All of the trade Ben talk is because of the off field incidents and not knowing if the situation will get better even after the suspension. It is also fueled by Ben's multiple incidents that tarnished the Steelers.

    There shouldn't be any argument that Ben is one of the Top 3 QBs right now in the post season & under pressure. Ben's play on the field is no longer the most important part of the equation. The Rooney's actions & comments, or lack there of, are proof to this. So if the Steelers are having success without Ben, I believe the door will remain open until the FO is certain that Ben's problems are behind him. The problem is...he has a track record which makes it very hard to think he could change. I hope he does. We just need to hope that the Rooneys "think" he can so he gets the chance as a Steeler. If the Steelers don't allow him that chance, I'm behind the STeelers.
    1st (T-D) Kelvin Benjamin WR
    2nd Bradley Roby CB
    3a Kareem Martin DE
    3b C.J. Fiedorowicz TE
    4th Christian Jones LB
    5a Dri Archer RB
    5b Kevin Pierre-Louis LB
    6a Beau Allen NT
    6b Shaquille Richardson CB
    7th John Brown WR

  7. #17
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,149

    Re: If Thursday is over and Ben isn't traded, are we safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    "The price of tea in China" is an expression used when someone makes an argument that one considers minimal or irrelevant. My point was that "you need to play in the regular season to get to the playoffs, don't you?" is minimal or irrelevant insofar as putting Ben up for a trade. I'm pretty sure you disagree. I think somewhere in the mix we crossed signals or that perceived intent got mixed up with real intent.

    Anyway, good points and clarification.

    I just think Ben's playoff performance is way too strong for the Steelers to put him on the block, even if we play 0.750+ ball without him. Of course, that's pending his progress. I"m going to guess by that time that confidence level in the off-field will have moved up (but not necesarily).
    I apologize...You didn't pick up on my sarcasm. You didn't have to explain yourself.

    Maybe it would have been easier for me to just say that my comments have nothing to do with what Ben can do on the field. Any & All of the trade Ben talk is because of the off field incidents and not knowing if the situation will get better even after the suspension. It is also fueled by Ben's multiple incidents that tarnished the Steelers.

    There shouldn't be any argument that Ben is one of the Top 3 QBs right now in the post season & under pressure. Ben's play on the field is no longer the most important part of the equation. The Rooney's actions & comments, or lack there of, are proof to this. So if the Steelers are having success without Ben, I believe the door will remain open until the FO is certain that Ben's problems are behind him. The problem is...he has a track record which makes it very hard to think he could change. I hope he does. We just need to hope that the Rooneys "think" he can so he gets the chance as a Steeler. If the Steelers don't allow him that chance, I'm behind the STeelers.

  8. #18
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,109

    Re: If Thursday is over and Ben isn't traded, are we safe?

    NFLN laconforta (SP?) says trading ben is a dead issue.

    and the steelers were not actively shopping him. teams were calling them.

    the team fully expects ben to be the QB in 2010 after serving his suspension

  9. #19

    Re: If Thursday is over and Ben isn't traded, are we safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    NFLN laconforta (SP?) says trading ben is a dead issue.

    and the steelers were not actively shopping him. teams were calling them.

    the team fully expects ben to be the QB in 2010 after serving his suspension

    I think we all knew this, but somehow the story took on legs and snowballed into us getting a bag of footballs for him. I think I speak for all of us when I look at all those idiots who reported the crap after sourcing a locker room attendant and give them a big ole upper decker.


  10. #20

    Re: If Thursday is over and Ben isn't traded, are we safe?

    Well, for what it's worth, it's late on Thursday, and Ben is still a Steeler.

    I bet he sleeps a little easier tonight.


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •