Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just to clarify something amongst the hysteria..

Legend

User Info Menu

Just to clarify something amongst the hysteria..

Chadman has seen a number of Posters call Ben Roethlisberger a 'Once in 25 Year Talent'.

Just going over the figures & this simply doesn't add up.

For example- in the last 10 years alone there have been 5 QB's drafted that have gone on to win a SB or two. Not all of them 1st Rounders either- Tom Brady in the 6th 2000, Marc Bulger in the 6th 2000, Drew Brees in the 2nd 2001, Ben in the 1st in 2004, along with Eli in the 1st in 2004.

This doesn't include other QB's that were drafted that haven't won a SB, while still performing at a starter-level quality- guys like Pennington, Vick, Garrard, Palmer, Leftwich, Schaub, Rivers, Rodgers, Orton, Cutler, Ryan, Flacco, Stafford & Sanchez.

Add to this- not all of these 'unsuccessful' QB's had the supporting cast that Ben had.

You see? Many of you say Ben is "One in 25 years" type, but really- you base that on the gap between the Steelers 2 SB winning QB's. Had the Steelers been serious about upgrading the QB position under Cowher- he could have done it- numerous times. Instead we had a team built on defense & RB's. To think that Tomlin couldn't grab a "Franshise QB" within a year or two is, well, shortsighted.
    Early Addition Mock (3 Round Version)

Fix the Run Defence Mode:

1. DaRon Payne
    2. Josey Jewell
    3 Kerryon Johnson

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Just to clarify something amongst the hysteria..

I never said that, but he is a one in 25 year talent for the Steelers.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

Starter

User Info Menu

marc burger won a super bowl?
    Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PSU_dropout43
    marc burger won a super bowl?
    Can guarentee Marc Burger never won one...but you may be right about Bulger...Chadman's mistake...
    Early Addition Mock (3 Round Version)

Fix the Run Defence Mode:

1. DaRon Payne
    2. Josey Jewell
    3 Kerryon Johnson

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't believe Ben is a once in a 25 year talent. But, it's obvious to me Chadman seriously underestimates the talent and importance of Ben to this team.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ben was a once in 25 year talent because he was the only qb drafted in the FIRST ROUND in 25 years... if we truly feel that there is a qb that is first round caliber and he is available to us in the top 15 when we have a need at qb, I have a feeling that they would succeed.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Chadman has seen a number of Posters call Ben Roethlisberger a 'Once in 25 Year Talent'.

For example- in the last 10 years alone there have been 5 QB's drafted that have gone on to win a SB or two. Not all of them 1st Rounders either- Tom Brady in the 6th 2000, Marc Bulger in the 6th 2000, Drew Brees in the 2nd 2001, Ben in the 1st in 2004, along with Eli in the 1st in 2004.

This doesn't include other QB's that were drafted that haven't won a SB, while still performing at a starter-level quality- guys like Pennington, Vick, Garrard, Palmer, Leftwich, Schaub, Rivers, Rodgers, Orton, Cutler, Ryan, Flacco, Stafford & Sanchez.

Add to this- not all of these 'unsuccessful' QB's had the supporting cast that Ben had.

You see? Many of you say Ben is "One in 25 years" type, but really- you base that on the gap between the Steelers 2 SB winning QB's. Had the Steelers been serious about upgrading the QB position under Cowher- he could have done it- numerous times. Instead we had a team built on defense & RB's. To think that Tomlin couldn't grab a "Franshise QB" within a year or two is, well, shortsighted.
    I say it because of what I see on the field. You don't see a guy whom you legitimately believe has a chance to win 4 or 5 SBs (if he keeps his act clean)? He's 8-2 in the playoffs. And before you say it was the D consider these playoff numbers ...

1. O averaged 26.5 ppg - AGAINST PLAYOFF QUALITY D (compare to Peyton Manning at 21.5)
    2. O NEVER scored under 21 points in a playoff game (SB40 was the 21 points)
    3. In the 2 playoff losses, the O scored 27 and 29 points.

Under pressure, this is your guy, right here. This kind of play under pressure at QB only comes along once every 25 years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman

No point in those fans following the Pittsburgh Rothlisbergers because the team is doomed without Ben.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think most, including me, recognizes that it is altogether possible we could get someone to lessen the loss of Ben, but it is pretty much a crapshoot, and I really don't want my favorite team to get into the crapshooting business.

Tom Brady in the 6th 2000, Marc Bulger in the 6th 2000, Drew Brees in the 2nd 2001, Ben in the 1st in 2004, along with Eli in the 1st in 2004.
    Let's face it, The Patriots didn't know nor think that Tom Brady would do what he has done over his career. Bulger caught lightning in a bottle, but didn't win anything of signifigance and i slooking for a job now. Brees is legit, but even his own coach in San Diego put him in and yanked him out of games. His career wasn't a given either. Eli is good, but is not on the level of Ben.

Honeslty, this list has two quarterbacks on it I would take knowing we would lose Ben. I know that isn't the point of this little exercise, but it is a fact. And I wouldn't want any of them over Ben.

The reason I don't want the team to trade Ben is two-fold . . . I see a guy who's only trouble is the fact he needs to grow up. He is not a predator to me, and certainly isn;t a lost cause personally. But we as Steelers fans went so many years without a franchise quarerback, so many hmm, this guy could take us to the super bowl, so many disappointments.

I can argue without reservation that I would take Ben on the field over Peyton and Brady. And I really don;t want to give that up because the guy likes to party off the field.

Legend

User Info Menu

I say once in a lifetime.

I've always said Ben is the Tiger Woods of the NFL.