Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ireland..my only concern

Pro Bowler

Re: Ireland..my only concern

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Any "compassion" for Ben will only be seen as him wanting to win above all.
    It's just not true. The way the ben and Holmes situation was handled was different for reasons, or at least it appears that way. Holmes showed through his actions (twitter, verbal) that he didn't think his behavior was wrong, and gave no indication that he was going to stop. Therefore, it was a lost cause and he was traded. Ben has shown that he is sorry for what he did and at least appears that he is making an attempt to rehabilitate himself, therefore no trade is necessary at this point.

Art II said during his presser that Ben will be given the opportunity to earn back the fans respect and the teams trust.

[quote:5z7rrok9]After imposing an appropriate level of discipline and outlining the steps we feel will be necessary to be successful as a player and a person, we intend to allow Ben the opportunity to prove to us he is the teammate and citizen we all believe he is capable of being. And we hope the entire Steelers community will allow Ben the opportunity to prove to them that he deserves their trust and their respect.
    Unless something happened since the presser to indicate that Ben was not going to change his ways, well, [b]trading him would mean that Art II was flat-out lying to everyone[/b].[/quote:5z7rrok9]
    Things that make you go hmmmm...I wondered the same myself when it was said that the team was consulted in the "rehab" condititions - why be part of the process if you're only going to trade him?
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Maybe part of the rehab process is shipping Ben to NFL hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Things that make you go hmmmm...I wondered the same myself when it was said that the team was consulted in the "rehab" condititions - why be part of the process if you're only going to trade him?
    I see this as the FO keeping their options open, no more no less.

The FO could be using trade talk to scare Ben straight. It could be a smokescreen to confuse other teams regarding our picks. Or it could be a subtle way to get the phones ringing.

In the end, we won't know anything until the draft, IMHO.

And as for Art lying? Business-speak. They'll say anything they can to keep all avenues open. That's just smart business.