Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Ireland..my only concern

  1. #1

    Ireland..my only concern

    My only concern about the trade rumors having some merit might lie in the fact that Dan Rooney is now in a political position as the Ambassador to Ireland. Ben and Holmes reflected poorly on the team, and Dan. Dan will be forced to show a stern hand. Any "compassion" for Ben will only be seen as him wanting to win above all.

    Discuss.

  2. #2
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,863

    Re: Ireland..my only concern

    Dan has been in town for over week because he can't get back to Ireland because of the Iceland volcano. You can bet he is an integral part of these discussions.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  3. #3

    Re: Ireland..my only concern

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Dan has been in town for over week because he can't get back to Ireland because of the Iceland volcano. You can bet he is an integral part of these discussions.
    Exactly. And with his political position he might take a stricter stance than many owners.

  4. #4
    Starter
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    736

    Re: Ireland..my only concern

    Ireland loves drunks.

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,303

    Re: Ireland..my only concern

    I've always had a problem with the Rooneys and their supposed high moral standards. The family made it's money bringing misery into the homes of many through their gambling enterprises.

    Now, before I get crucified hear me out. I don't really care about the gambling establishments. I just don't think it is right for them to complain about how sickening it is for their star QB to buy a 20 year old a drink at a bar. I just don't see where they can take the moral high ground.

    Don't get me wrong. The Rooney's have done great things throughout the community over the years. I just have a problem with all the hipocracy going around. It's a pet peeve of mine.

    To answer the OP ... Dan will see which way the political winds are blowing and he will act accordingly.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,607

    Re: Ireland..my only concern

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    My only concern about the trade rumors having some merit might lie in the fact that Dan Rooney is now in a political position as the Ambassador to Ireland. Ben and Holmes reflected poorly on the team, and Dan. Dan will be forced to show a stern hand. Any "compassion" for Ben will only be seen as him wanting to win above all.

    Discuss.
    Wait a minute.....after all that has transpired this off season, the fact the Steelers didnt make the playoffs last year, have a couple blatant holes on their team, their franchise QB has been suspended for 6 games to start next season...and Ireland is your only concern???

    Oh.........ok.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

    1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

  7. #7
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,911

    Re: Ireland..my only concern

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    My only concern about the trade rumors having some merit might lie in the fact that Dan Rooney is now in a political position as the Ambassador to Ireland. Ben and Holmes reflected poorly on the team, and Dan. Dan will be forced to show a stern hand. Any "compassion" for Ben will only be seen as him wanting to win above all.

    Discuss.
    I blame Obama.

  8. #8

    Re: Ireland..my only concern

    Any "compassion" for Ben will only be seen as him wanting to win above all.
    It's just not true. The way the ben and Holmes situation was handled was different for reasons, or at least it appears that way. Holmes showed through his actions (twitter, verbal) that he didn't think his behavior was wrong, and gave no indication that he was going to stop. Therefore, it was a lost cause and he was traded. Ben has shown that he is sorry for what he did and at least appears that he is making an attempt to rehabilitate himself, therefore no trade is necessary at this point.

    Art II said during his presser that Ben will be given the opportunity to earn back the fans respect and the teams trust.

    After imposing an appropriate level of discipline and outlining the steps we feel will be necessary to be successful as a player and a person, we intend to allow Ben the opportunity to prove to us he is the teammate and citizen we all believe he is capable of being. And we hope the entire Steelers community will allow Ben the opportunity to prove to them that he deserves their trust and their respect.
    Unless something happened since the presser to indicate that Ben was not going to change his ways, well, trading him would mean that Art II was flat-out lying to everyone.

  9. #9

    Re: Ireland..my only concern

    Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Any "compassion" for Ben will only be seen as him wanting to win above all.
    It's just not true. The way the ben and Holmes situation was handled was different for reasons, or at least it appears that way. Holmes showed through his actions (twitter, verbal) that he didn't think his behavior was wrong, and gave no indication that he was going to stop. Therefore, it was a lost cause and he was traded. Ben has shown that he is sorry for what he did and at least appears that he is making an attempt to rehabilitate himself, therefore no trade is necessary at this point.

    Art II said during his presser that Ben will be given the opportunity to earn back the fans respect and the teams trust.

    [quote:wwfqzoev]After imposing an appropriate level of discipline and outlining the steps we feel will be necessary to be successful as a player and a person, we intend to allow Ben the opportunity to prove to us he is the teammate and citizen we all believe he is capable of being. And we hope the entire Steelers community will allow Ben the opportunity to prove to them that he deserves their trust and their respect.
    Unless something happened since the presser to indicate that Ben was not going to change his ways, well, trading him would mean that Art II was flat-out lying to everyone.[/quote:wwfqzoev]

    What you are assuming is the media won't twist motive and the general public won't be apt to jump to unfounded conclusions. Those are some pretty bold assumptions.

  10. #10

    Re: Ireland..my only concern

    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    I've always had a problem with the Rooneys and their supposed high moral standards. The family made it's money bringing misery into the homes of many through their gambling enterprises.

    Now, before I get crucified hear me out. I don't really care about the gambling establishments. I just don't think it is right for them to complain about how sickening it is for their star QB to buy a 20 year old a drink at a bar. I just don't see where they can take the moral high ground.

    Don't get me wrong. The Rooney's have done great things throughout the community over the years. I just have a problem with all the hipocracy going around. It's a pet peeve of mine.

    To answer the OP ... Dan will see which way the political winds are blowing and he will act accordingly.
    I 100% agree. I thought about writing a post about the obvious hypocracy but thought better of it. It's much better if you take the blunt of the punishment for it.

    It's kinda like owning a liquor store but condemning employees for going to the local casino to gamble. And, before I get silly comments about the analogy I realize Ben plays in the nfl yada yada. I'm talking about on a base moral level. If you want to preach morals you had better make sure you are consistant.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •