Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam Shefter tweeting....

Re: Adam Shefter tweeting....

Quote Originally Posted by AngryAsian
    Quote Originally Posted by JAR
    I just don't understand the whole "I'm done" statement with regard to being a Steeler fan. I may be miserable for years regarding any decision that would let my beloved Steelers go through some "LEAN" years... but I can't see supporting any other team. This has been my team since I first watched football and no matter what, it will stay my team.
    So you can sit there when they are losers, and you can say, oh that's OK, the whole team went to church this morning.
    I suffered through the eighties and was so hopeful in the nineties... and miserable the whole time. I can't sweat scenarios that I have no control over. I'll accept things... I have no other choice.... But I can't resign myself from watching football. Its the only sporting event, besides soccer that I love to watch.

I agree with AA on this one I have been a Steelers fan for alot of years and will still be a Steelers fan no matter who is on the feild.

Go Steelers

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

put me in the no trade camp here. The key is what Ben does knowing everything that was said and done with this latest incident. He is on a zero tolerance policy from this point forward. But I just can't justify trading him at this point. I understand that there is a lot of hate for the guy right now in Pittsburgh, but a lot of that will go away once his suspension is up and he steps on the field again. As long as he turns his life around, he will absolutely be forgiven by most, not all, but by most.

Pro Bowler

I just don't understand the whole "I'm done" statement with regard to being a Steeler fan. I may be miserable for years regarding any decision that would let my beloved Steelers go through some "LEAN" years... but I can't see supporting any other team. This has been my team since I first watched football and no matter what, it will stay my team.
    So you can sit there when they are losers, and you can say, oh that's OK, the whole team went to church this morning.
    I suffered through the eighties and was so hopeful in the nineties... and miserable the whole time. I can't sweat scenarios that I have no control over. I'll accept things... I have no other choice.... But I can't resign myself from watching football. Its the only sporting event, besides soccer that I love to watch.
    So you want to suffer again over the trade of a franchise QB who was convicted of nothing but was the victim of a media lynching?

Hall of Famer

I watched Super Bowl's 13 and 14 as a kid and then sat through some terrible QBs for 2 decades too. But, I always followed the Steelers and I always will. I was born in Pittsburgh and will NEVER quit on my team. They can trade Ben and I'll still follow them. They can keep Ben and try to get him to behave, and I'll still follow the team. Quitting is weak. The Steelers just won two Super Bowls!!! So many Steeler fans are simply spoiled.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    just cant see how this could happen.

If kobe could get another chance with his team why shouldnt Ben? kobe was actually charged and went through a trial and i dont remember seeing the uproar that Ben is going through. this is just idiotic to me....
    The Lakers are not owned by the Rooneys.

All that suffering over the trade of a franchise QB who was convicted of nothing but was the victim of a media lynching?

Suffering, like I have during the past 6 years, when Ben was part of this team and we lost. I don't think any sane fan wishes their team to lose any games. My statement was in reference to the FO making the decision and me being powerless to sway that decision. This is about acceptance of anything that may happen. Never asked for Ben's trade or hoped for it. I have, on several occasions, voiced understanding to the organization's displeasure of this whole thing and with Ben. In my mind Ben is guilty of one thing... POOR JUDGEMENT.

As for Ben being a victim on any level is a bit of a stretch. He's a grown adult and after being in the limelight for 6+ years as the most visible on-field figurehead of one the most historic franchises in the NFL, and seeing first hand how the media can circle the proverbial wagon with regards to outrageous unfounded allegations... I would think Ben would gain some sort of wisdom with regards to conduct outside the football arena. This is by no means an assertion that he's guilty of rape, but rather at fault for extremely poor judgement.

If kobe could get another chance with his team why shouldnt Ben? kobe was actually charged and went through a trial and i dont remember seeing the uproar that Ben is going through. this is just idiotic to me....
    It seems worse when it is your team going through the media circus. Kobe was the lead story on ESPN every day when he was facing rape charges. Plus the Steelers made the issue even bigger by trading Holmes. That helped to foster this "we won't take it anymore" policy.

The real problem is that the Steeler family doesn't seem willing to sit back and allow the crap to hit the fan. The Steelers are going to hear about this for some time. It will be brought up all pre season. It will hang over the club during his 4 game suspension. The Rooney's need to try and ride it out because they won't get true value back for Ben. The image will take a hit for awhile, but there isn't much you can do about it. Trying to win the perception war is a losing proposition.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.

Legend

Some of this is pure emotion and some are Benwagon fans who defend Ben even when he admits taking obvious sacks or throwig ugly INT's. To them it's always the WR, OL or BA's fault.

Maybe the FO is curious or maybe they see this as an oppurtunity to clear the books of a guy who isn't showing any remorse for his conduct. It's all speculation but if the FO is ready to move on I'll frustratingly accept it like I had to accept Holmes being traded.

What if... and this is a big what if... what if we traded Ben and he looks like the majority of our players once they leave because he doesn't have the talent and defense to give him the extra oppurtunites to be golden? Ben is a beast but Harrison did score a 100 yard TD... Ben brought us back a lot but our O would look terrible for 2 quarters most games.

I'm a Steeler fan for life and I love the 2 rings Ben has brought us but he didn't do it alone.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion

It seems worse when it is your team going through the media circus. Kobe was the lead story on ESPN every day when he was facing rape charges. Plus the Steelers made the issue even bigger by trading Holmes. That helped to foster this "we won't take it anymore" policy.

The real problem is that the Steeler family doesn't seem willing to sit back and allow the crap to hit the fan. The Steelers are going to hear about this for some time. It will be brought up all pre season. It will hang over the club during his 4 game suspension. The Rooney's need to try and ride it out because they won't get true value back for Ben. The image will take a hit for awhile, but there isn't much you can do about it. Trying to win the perception war is a losing proposition.
    good points. What about the fans though Max? Did LA fans turn tail on their franchise player? article after article about how Steeler "fans" are fed up with Ben and want him gone...was LA fan like this?

Legend

Ben's got 3 allegations from 3 women + rides his motorcycle without a helmet + he had the wreck. He's as reckless off the field as he is on it.

We got rid of Santonio who's had lesser problems than Ben.

If the Steelers don't get rid of Ben, they're inconsistent in the way they treat players and run the team.

I'd have more respect for the team if they dumped Ben.

Although that's not what I want.

I'll roll with Dixon.

Improve the D in this draft and we'll be good to go.