Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Adam Shefter tweeting....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Adam Shefter tweeting....

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    "If the Steelers trade Ben, we'll lose games & I'll be upset & I'll never, ever, ever, ever support the Steelers or watch football again because I don't want to lose...blah...blah...blah..."

Geez. Chadman doesn't even live in the US & knows that PITTSBURGH fans are made of sterner stuff than that crap. That PITTSBURGH fans love the fact that a respectable family like the Rooney's run the organisation THEIR WAY & don't sell their soul Al Davis style for a win.

If this is how some of you truly feel, that trading Ben is the worst thing in the world & will make you stop watching football & being Steeler fans- see ya.

Suck it up, Buttercup. The Steelers are bigger than Ben, and will win without him. If it hurts you oh so much to watch poor Benny get his a$$ spanked for not respecting the Steeler organisation the same way as some of his team mates do, and the idea of watching the Steelers rebuild is all too much for your delicate psyche, and that winning trumps believing in an ideal that the Steelers are just 'better' than other organisations & won't whore their soul for a win- if that is all too much for your delicate little hearts- then go support the Patriots. I hear they win at all costs- it might suit your style of support better.
    I certainly agree that I will support the steelers with or without Ben. Just please stop the crap that the Steelers are so much better than all the other organizations from a moral standpoint. They made their money from other peoples gambling addiction. Legally this isn't a problem but many feel that it is a moral problem. Then the comments Rooney made about the Harrison incident was an embarrassment to the organization and the NFL. I didn't hear any of you calling for the NFL to suspend him. In fact the NFL bent over backwards so that the Rooney's could become compliant with league rules.

You can only evaluate Ben as a football player which is what they should be doing. If they get a deal that they feel is better than Ben's value to the team then they should take it. Otherwise keep Ben and move on but don't bring this morality crap into the argument. We all live in glass houses and the Rooney's is probably bigger than most.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Schefter is now reporting that the Raiders, Jags and Bills are NOT interested.

Legend

User Info Menu

When was the last time the Steelers traded a player through the media? Look at the Santonio trade for example....even though he was in the news, the trade possibility was not. It came as a surprise to everyone, including him, even though they had supposedly been shopping him for weeks.

Now, a source within the Steelers organization (not other teams) is leaking info that Ben is on the block. Really? This is simply a case of the Steelers using the overzealous media to send their QB a message.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

here's my beef with guys like shefter . . . they just spot off what they here without checking it out, so that they can be first with it. When I broke into the journalism business a decade or so ago, the motto to reporters was always "If your mother tells you she loves you, check it out and get a second source" Guys like Lacanforra (Hampton to be released" and Shefter (The steelers are putting out feelers for a trade) could give a crap whether they are wrong 10 out of 11 times. There are no consequences for being wrong, so they can say what they want. When are people going to start holding these nitwits accountable?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    here's my beef with guys like shefter . . . they just spot off what they here without checking it out, so that they can be first with it. When I broke into the journalism business a decade or so ago, the motto to reporters was always "If your mother tells you she loves you, check it out and get a second source" Guys like Lacanforra (Hampton to be released" and Shefter (The steelers are putting out feelers for a trade) could give a crap whether they are wrong 10 out of 11 times. There are no consequences for being wrong, so they can say what they want. When are people going to start holding these nitwits accountable?
    While I do agree with your opinion on reporters, I do believe that Sheffter here is reporting what he was told by an insider of the organization. I also believe that he was used by the team in order to get this "story" out. He is not being traded, but he is getting the heat turned up on him. This is it Ben, time to become a man.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Schefter is now reporting that the Raiders, Jags and Bills are NOT interested.
    Best news I heard all day.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Shefter usually has good/accurate info as far as I know. But in general I think it's true to say that a lot of these guys are like leaky septic tanks -- they put out a lot of ****.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

r.e. the raiders

According to a Contra Costa Times story that moved late last night, a Raider employee told the newspaper that they called Pittsburgh about a trade. The Raiders would give the Steelers their eighth pick in return for Big Ben and the Steekers' No. 18. Pittsburgh said no.
    [url="http://thehive.modbee.com/node/19018"]http://thehive.modbee.com/node/19018[/url]
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    There are a lot of people in this thread condemning a trade, that has not even happened yet.

I am 44 years old- and have been a Steeler fan since I've had congnicent memory.

Irrespective of what they do with Ben- I will still be a Steeler fan.

I'll tell you this- If they get rid of Ben- I'll be more proud about being a Steeler fan.

We don't know if a trade will happen yet, but as I, and others, have stated in other threads- I do believe it will.

Here is the trade that I see as most likely-

To the Raiders for Asamough (sp) and their 1st either this year or next- (I'd prefer next years first)
    possibly a conditional pick based upon performance and games played.

Why-

The Raiders are the perfect team for Ben.
    -Al Davis couldn't give a rip about any moral issues. It's all "just win baby".
    -Al wants a championship before he kicks the bucket.
    -Al does not know what the phrase "check down" means. He'd have a flipping woody watching Ben go for a home run every play.
    The fans don't care about trying to molest a 20 year old girl in the bathroom, either.

Nnamdi Asamough (sp) would be an amazing addition to the Steelers' D.
    Eff wasting a high round pick on a flawed (unproven) rookie CB class.
    1st two picks would be OLine and/or DLine.
    Go with Dixon & Lefty- for the year -see what you have in DD - who has all the physical skills.
    Go back to power football.
    If Dixon does not appear to be the future- use next years 2 first rounders (including the one acquired from OAK) to move up in the draft to get a QB.
    Next seasons' QB class is projecting much better than this years.

Thats it.

Make the team better- and eliminate a major PR issue.
    Ben's escapades are never going to be forgiven by many fans - or the owners.

edit- two other reasons why this makes sense.

Al desperately wants to dump the apx $30mil worth of salaries for Jamarcus Russell & Asamougha- this deal does that for him as well.
    The problem with Asamougha is the contract. I believe it states that he gets the franchise value of a QB, which is insane. If he had a reasonable contract, that could make more sense, but his contract is a killer.
    Yes indeed it is- but I bet he'd re-work it to get the heck out of OAK.

Not sure who his agent is- but I'd bet Omar does- and has been on the phone with him.

I'm not certain this will happen- lots of moving pieces and little time- but if that contract issue can be worked- this absolutely makes the most sense for all sides.
    Also, Oakland does not have a first round pick next year. They already traded it to New England for Richard Seymour.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snarky
    r.e. the raiders

According to a Contra Costa Times story that moved late last night, a Raider employee told the newspaper that they called Pittsburgh about a trade. The Raiders would give the Steelers their eighth pick in return for Big Ben and the Steekers' No. 18. Pittsburgh said no.
    [url="http://thehive.modbee.com/node/19018"]http://thehive.modbee.com/node/19018[/url]
    There were reports that the Steelers asked for Asomugha in that deal and the Raiders declined. I did see a report from a POS source, IMO, the trade was going through. Too much crap out there. I can't wait until tonight is over so my head could stop spinning.

[url="http://nflspinzone.com/2010/04/22/ben-roethlisberger-to-oakland-raiders-a-done-deal/"]http://nflspinzone.com/2010/04/22/ben-r ... done-deal/[/url]

Ben Roethlisberger to Oakland Raiders a Done Deal?
    AUTHOR: Derek Peiffer | IN: AFC | COMMENTS: 11 Comments

Could Big Ben be on his way to the Black Hole?
    According to “Kobe,” a former radio jockey in Pittsburgh, the Pittsburgh Steelers and Oakland Raiders have completed a deal, pending league approval, that would send suspended quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to Oakland for Nnamdi Asomugha and a swap of first-round picks.

Reports early this week had pointed to the Steelers openly shopping Roethlisberger, and even going as far to call teams with top 10 picks in Thursday’s NFL draft to gauge interest.

More specifically, Jason La Canfora of NFL Network, had hinted at trade talks heating up between the Steelers and Raiders, and they may have finally come to fruition.

After his most recent run-in with the law, Roethlisberger seemed to have fallen out of favor with not only the fans in Pittsburgh, but the almighty Rooney family which eats, sleeps, and breathes everything associated with Steeler football.

The deal, if true, would help both sides fill an immediate need, while allowing both to maintain a first-round pick to further help their team through the draft.

Oakland has been a team in shambles in recent years, and has been in search of a franchise quarterback since the departure of Rich Gannon. Roethlisberger fills that need, and allows Oakland to move on from the disaster that was Jamarcus Russell.

Meanwhile, the Steelers, who have had one of the less-than-stellar secondaries over the last few seasons, gain one of the best corners in the NFL (2nd best by my count) in Nnamdi Asomugha, while also ridding themselves of the dark cloud hovering over the franchise stemming from Roethlisberger’s recent behavior.

The move also allows them to move up ten slots, to the number eight pick, where they could get their hands on the next franchise quarterback in Jimmy Clausen.

It’s rare to trade a two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback, but it’s even more rare to replace him immediately, and the Steelers have a chance to do that here. It is a must for the Steelers to move Roethlisberger this off-season, and this may be the best deal they get to do so.

It’s also rare that you can trade for a franchise quarterback. Well, at least before this season with Donovan McNabb going to Washington. You don’t get these opportunities everyday so, if the rumors are true, both teams must jump at this chance