Thread: Colbert Looking to move down?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Colbert Looking to move down?

Kevin Colbert says Steelers draft priorities haven't changed
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 19, 2010 6:04 PM ET
    Don't expect Ben Roethlisberger's impending suspension to change Pittsburgh's draft board.

Speaking with Mark Madden on WXDX in Pittsburgh Monday afternoon, Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert said that quarterback and tight end were the only positions that weren't priorities for the team.

He said that was true at the beginning of the offseason, and nothing has changed. (Roethlisberger's name was oddly not even mentioned in the interview.)

A lot of folks think the Steelers will take Florida center Maurkice Pouncey, but Colbert said don't be surprised if they moved from the No. 18 overall pick. He estimated there was a 70-75% chance they'd keep the pick, a 5% chance they'd move up, and a greater chance they would move back.

Colbert expects a lot of interest in the pick, especially with such a deep defensive class. He says there are more 300-pound defenders that can run and conversion outside linebacker prospects than any class in memory.

Those are just the prospects a 3-4 defense needs. Unfortunately for long-time 3-4 teams like Pittsburgh and New England, nearly half of the league is now looking for similar players.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Colbert Looking to move down?

A move back would be good. If they fall back they are looking to draft Pouncey. They could then trade up to grab a guy like Tate, Odrick or maybe McCourtney.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I still would find it difficult to pass on Thomas or Graham if they are there at 1.18 or even one of the top two corner backs. Both of these players appear to be impact players.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

it all depends on who is still available at #18, that will determine whether the Steelers stand pat or move down.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If Joe Haden or Earl Thomas are within a few picks, I'd like to trade up. Otherwise, stand pat or move back. I really like the middle round talent in this draft and would be happy for more picks in rounds 2-4. If we end up with too many total picks, we can always trade a late round non-comp pick for a pick in next year's draft. I expect the Steelers to do some wheeling and dealing and maybe make a trade involving a player.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.