Not sure of the significance of this, but.....

Posted by Mike Florio on April 19, 2010 11:13 AM ET
As the Steelers move forward without Super Bowl XLIII receiver Santonio Holmes, they need to get the most out of the guys they still have.

One player who has yet to get much out of his potential is receiver Limas Sweed, a second-round pick in 2008. Out of the blue, the team has issued a statement from Sweed in which he attributes his performance late in the 2009 season to undisclosed "personal issues."

"I am excited to be back on the field and back in the locker room with my teammates. I appreciate all the support I received from the Steelers organization while I dealt with some personal issues at the end of the 2009 season," Sweed says. "I have been working diligently and I am focused on the remainder of the offseason in getting myself prepared to have a great 2010 season."

Sweed caught one pass for five yards in nine games last year. For his career, he has caught seven. (And he owns one more Super Bowl ring that Cris Carter, Andre Reed, Terrell Owens, Larry Fitzgerald, and Randy Moss combined.)

Personal reasons or not, he's surely fighting for a roster spot in the offseason -- and if he makes the team he'll need to step it up when he gets a chance to play.