Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kirwan's mock

Legend

User Info Menu

Kirwan's mock

I don't usually post mocks but this one is the first that I've seen us going WR in the first so here it is.........

18. Pittsburgh Steelers
    Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech

Holmes is gone and there really isn't enough talent in the receiver group to avoid taking a pass catcher high in the draft. The Steelers like Mike Wallace, but Hines Ward is aging and Limas Sweed is struggling. Thomas is a big athlete with close to 19 yards a catch in a triple-option offense in college.
    Still available: Kyle wilson, Dez Bryant (Thomas is the first WR taken here), Iupati, Pouncey.

52. Pittsburgh Steelers
    Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama

After solving their new receiver issues in the first round, the Steelers get the much-needed corner here. Jackson comes from the Alabama Cover-2 scheme and possesses solid tackling skills.
    Still available: Tyson Alualu, Patrick Robinson, Toby Gerhart, Vladimir Ducasse, John Jerry.

82. Pittsburgh Steelers
    Alex Carrington, DE, Arkansas State

Carrington has the traits the Steelers look for in a "five-technique" defensive end: Tall, long arms and speed. He's a steal in the third round.
    Still available: Matt Tennant, Brandon Spikes, Navorro Bowman

An interesting way to go anyways. A few here have been lobbying against OL early so we address a weapon to replace Holmes right away, the much needed CB and then a future replacement for our aging DL.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Kirwan's mock

An aging DL that has Ziggy and Sonny. Both backups with 1 year under their belt and are around 22 years old. Not a pressing need.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't love this draft, but my tv would likely make it through the weekend intact.

I hate spending yet another #1 or #2 on WR, but if you can get the best option at the position, and he can become a weapon either this year or down the road, I'm not going to be super disappointed.

I think I read somewhere that the Steelers like Jackson, and I could see him making sense in the second.

I really like Carrington in the third. The Ravens, Browns and even, to an extent, the Bengals have all put together big, solid offensive lines. Developing a strong DL is a great way to counter that. With two veteran starters and a third young guy thrown into the DE rotation, the Steelers would have a great mix of veteran talent and youth at the position, and be well positioned for the present and the future.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    I don't usually post mocks but this one is the first that I've seen us going WR in the first so here it is.........

18. Pittsburgh Steelers
    Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech

Holmes is gone and there really isn't enough talent in the receiver group to avoid taking a pass catcher high in the draft. The Steelers like Mike Wallace, but Hines Ward is aging and Limas Sweed is struggling. Thomas is a big athlete with close to 19 yards a catch in a triple-option offense in college.
    Still available: Kyle wilson, Dez Bryant (Thomas is the first WR taken here), Iupati, Pouncey.

[quote:1ogp2zga]52. Pittsburgh Steelers
    Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama

After solving their new receiver issues in the first round, the Steelers get the much-needed corner here. Jackson comes from the Alabama Cover-2 scheme and possesses solid tackling skills.
    Still available: Tyson Alualu, Patrick Robinson, Toby Gerhart, Vladimir Ducasse, John Jerry.

82. Pittsburgh Steelers
    Alex Carrington, DE, Arkansas State

Carrington has the traits the Steelers look for in a "five-technique" defensive end: Tall, long arms and speed. He's a steal in the third round.
    Still available: Matt Tennant, Brandon Spikes, Navorro Bowman

An interesting way to go anyways. A few here have been lobbying against OL early so we address a weapon to replace Holmes right away, the much needed CB and then a future replacement for our aging DL.[/quote:1ogp2zga]

Not sure about Thomas in Round 1 (I'd be OK with that). Jackson in Round 2 would be a good pick. I'd actually take RB in Round 3. We have no depth at RB. Developmental DEs can be had much later.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Honestly, of all the WRs in this draft Thomas would be my first choice. I believe he has the highest ceiling. I would be very ok with picking him here. I am not a Jackson fan though.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I just have a feeling that this will be the year that they do what they did when they drafted Big Snack: Trade down. This is a similar scenario. That year, they needed a NT, but were not going to pick Hampton that high. This year they need a C, but not at #18. Thomas will be gone, and they aren't going to use the #18 on a receiver or DB since the differences between the guys after Haden appear to be by preference. So, trade down, pick Pouncey and then trade up in the second to get Kareem Jackson, who they reportedly like. After that, I have no idea, but I just have a feeling that this is the way it will unfold this year.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    I just have a feeling that this will be the year that they do what they did when they drafted Big Snack: Trade down. This is a similar scenario. That year, they needed a NT, but were not going to pick Hampton that high. This year they need a C, but not at #18. Thomas will be gone, and they aren't going to use the #18 on a receiver or DB since the differences between the guys after Haden appear to be by preference. So, trade down, pick Pouncey and then trade up in the second to get Kareem Jackson, who they reportedly like. After that, I have no idea, but I just have a feeling that this is the way it will unfold this year.

and that would not be a bad thing at all.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler

Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Honestly, of all the WRs in this draft Thomas would be my first choice. I believe he has the highest ceiling. I would be very ok with picking him here. I am not a Jackson fan though.

the Steelers seem to like Kareem Jackson, though...this is from Don Banks' SI mock -

18 CB Kyle Wilson Boise State Sr. 5-10 186

We've been focused on interior offensive line options like Iupati or Florida's Maurkice Pouncey for most of the pre-draft season, but the Steelers need help at cornerback too in a division where Baltimore and Cincinnati are in the process of upgrading their receiving corps. Wilson is the consensus second-rated cornerback, but we're told the Steelers love Alabama's Kareem Jackson as well.

Read More: [url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/04/14/mock.draft.2/index.html"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... index.html[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

I think that it is highly unlikely that the Steelers will take a WR in the first round, or the second round for that matter. I love NWSteelers's scenario where they get Pouncey and Jackson, because Center and CB are the positions with the most need.