Thread: Pre-Draft Random Thoughts

Legend

User Info Menu

Pre-Draft Random Thoughts

1. Just thinking- under Tomlin of late the Steelers have focussed on 'skill players' in the first 3 rounds over 'non-skill' players- ie, WR/CB/S/QB/RB/TE/LB over the lineman. Ziggy Hood broke the mould last season, as did Urbik, but really, it's more about impact players early with the non-skill guys following. This has been Colbert's theme, in general, over his reign as well.

So, with that theory, the Steelers will 'more likely' look for a skill player at #18...or at least, in the 1st round. And there should be quite a few options.

2. What if the Steelers trade down in the 1st? Pick up an extra 2nd rounder? Chadman only thinks this because there just isn't enough 'value' with their lower round picks to make much impact moving up- despite having so many. Trading down opens up a few options though- if the Steelers wanted Earl Thomas, but trade down, they could still get Taylor Mays. If the Steelers want Dez Bryant, but trade down, they could still pick Golden Tate. If it's Kyle Wilson- trade down & pick Kareem Jackson. If you weight the trade down player value against an extra 2nd round pick...it could work well. Hmm...NY Jets at 29....

3. The best value for trading up might be using the 2 5ths, the 6th & 7th to move up into the mid 4th round again- particularly with so much quality talent available in that 3rd-4th range. Chicago holds the 109th pick...pretty close on value for 2 5ths, 6th & 7th...

4. With the Steelers 'habit' of picking skill players early, they could use those 2 4ths to pick 'non-skill' guys like Zane Beadles & Mike Neal...only mention those 2 because the Steelers have shown a fair bit of interest there..

5. WR...the Steelers bring back ARE & sign Arnaz Battle- both former QB's turned WR. Joe Webb could learn a thing or two from those guys....
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Pre-Draft Random Thoughts

It seems to me that the team has too many picks, so I would hope that they would be able to trade some of them and get a better pick. I'm not a draftnick, so I don't know how that works for sure in trade values.

My biggest hope is that the FO addresses the DB. I'd like to see a lot of Defense taken. I'm not as troubled by the OL as many here. We can't really replace Santonio with anyone that would fall to us and we need a backup RB, but other than that I'd like to see them work on the D.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    It seems to me that the team has too many picks, so I would hope that they would be able to trade some of them and get a better pick. I'm not a draftnick, so I don't know how that works for sure in trade values.

My biggest hope is that the FO addresses the DB. I'd like to see a lot of Defense taken. I'm not as troubled by the OL as many here. We can't really replace Santonio with anyone that would fall to us and we need a backup RB, but other than that I'd like to see them work on the D.
    The problem with the amount of picks we have is they are in later rounds. We can't trade the comp picks we have so there are two 5ths and a 7th that we must keep. You could package two 5ths a 6th and our 7th. All of those pick are worth about roughly 95 points. With 95 points we may be able to trade up into the low second round. but most likely have to give up our 3rd as well.

So if we went with that route our draft would look something like this

I think its way to much to give up 5 draft picks to turn a 3rd into a 2nd.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I love the draft even though I don't know the college players coming out as well as I should. What will be interesting to me is how the draft will shape up after Mr. Rooney saying "We have to be better at running the football next year". Kinda makes me wonder if that means we are going to hit the trenches a little harder than we have in the last several years. Could we see a first three picks like this:

1.) Pouncey -C
    2.) Asamoah -G
    3.) Saffold (the Olineman from Indiana, I probably have the name wrong) -T

Then go defense with the rest of the picks.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim
    I love the draft even though I don't know the college players coming out as well as I should. What will be interesting to me is how the draft will shape up after Mr. Rooney saying "We have to be better at running the football next year". Kinda makes me wonder if that means we are going to hit the trenches a little harder than we have in the last several years. Could we see a first three picks like this:

1.) Pouncey -C
    2.) Asamoah -G

Wow, I was in the exact opposite frame of mind. Picking playmakers on Defense and then maybe a backup RB and a project receiver late.

My thinking is just that the D and ST's cost us badly last year and we can't rely on Troy to be healthy a full season.

Legend

User Info Menu

From everything that I've seen so far, I don't think that this is the draft where other teams will be willing to give up picks in the first four rounds in exchange for picks in the fifth rounds and lower - despite what the value chart says.

Everyone is talking about how this draft is stocked for about 4 rounds and then the falloff. I'm thinking that other teams may know about that as well.

I think that we might not be able to move as far up as we think by using our fifth, sixth, and seventh picks.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    From everything that I've seen so far, I don't think that this is the draft where other teams will be willing to give up picks in the first four rounds in exchange for picks in the fifth rounds and lower - despite what the value chart says.

Everyone is talking about how this draft is stocked for about 4 rounds and then the falloff. I'm thinking that other teams may know about that as well.

I think that we might not be able to move as far up as we think by using our fifth, sixth, and seventh picks.

You could be right here, with four fifths, and sixth and two seventh, maybe we find one or two gems out of those seven picks. That would be pretty good picking I think.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    1. Just thinking- under Tomlin of late the Steelers have focussed on 'skill players' in the first 3 rounds over 'non-skill' players- ie, WR/CB/S/QB/RB/TE/LB over the lineman. Ziggy Hood broke the mould last season, as did Urbik, but really, it's more about impact players early with the non-skill guys following. This has been Colbert's theme, in general, over his reign as well.

So, with that theory, the Steelers will 'more likely' look for a skill player at #18...or at least, in the 1st round. And there should be quite a few options.

2. What if the Steelers trade down in the 1st? Pick up an extra 2nd rounder? Chadman only thinks this because there just isn't enough 'value' with their lower round picks to make much impact moving up- despite having so many. Trading down opens up a few options though- if the Steelers wanted Earl Thomas, but trade down, they could still get Taylor Mays. If the Steelers want Dez Bryant, but trade down, they could still pick Golden Tate. If it's Kyle Wilson- trade down & pick Kareem Jackson. If you weight the trade down player value against an extra 2nd round pick...it could work well. Hmm...NY Jets at 29....

3. The best value for trading up might be using the 2 5ths, the 6th & 7th to move up into the mid 4th round again- particularly with so much quality talent available in that 3rd-4th range. Chicago holds the 109th pick...pretty close on value for 2 5ths, 6th & 7th...

4. With the Steelers 'habit' of picking skill players early, they could use those 2 4ths to pick 'non-skill' guys like Zane Beadles & Mike Neal...only mention those 2 because the Steelers have shown a fair bit of interest there..

5. WR...the Steelers bring back ARE & sign Arnaz Battle- both former QB's turned WR. Joe Webb could learn a thing or two from those guys....
    I'm thinking skill player too. A WR would not surprise me, e.g. Demaryius Thomas. If we do DB or LB in Round 1, then I think you may see Joe Webb in Round 3 or 4.

There has been alot of silence on Sean Weatherspoon. No one is talking about him anymore. That usually means several teams are playing it close to the vest. Could we e one of them?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim

1.) Pouncey -C
    2.) Asamoah -G

You got the name right...Rodger Saffold, OT, Indiana. However, many have been projecting him as high as the late 1st round (Indy has been kicking his tires lately).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Chadman feels a revised mock draft coming up soon.....
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE