Pre-Draft Random Thoughts
1. Just thinking- under Tomlin of late the Steelers have focussed on 'skill players' in the first 3 rounds over 'non-skill' players- ie, WR/CB/S/QB/RB/TE/LB over the lineman. Ziggy Hood broke the mould last season, as did Urbik, but really, it's more about impact players early with the non-skill guys following. This has been Colbert's theme, in general, over his reign as well.
So, with that theory, the Steelers will 'more likely' look for a skill player at #18...or at least, in the 1st round. And there should be quite a few options.
2. What if the Steelers trade down in the 1st? Pick up an extra 2nd rounder? Chadman only thinks this because there just isn't enough 'value' with their lower round picks to make much impact moving up- despite having so many. Trading down opens up a few options though- if the Steelers wanted Earl Thomas, but trade down, they could still get Taylor Mays. If the Steelers want Dez Bryant, but trade down, they could still pick Golden Tate. If it's Kyle Wilson- trade down & pick Kareem Jackson. If you weight the trade down player value against an extra 2nd round pick...it could work well. Hmm...NY Jets at 29....
3. The best value for trading up might be using the 2 5ths, the 6th & 7th to move up into the mid 4th round again- particularly with so much quality talent available in that 3rd-4th range. Chicago holds the 109th pick...pretty close on value for 2 5ths, 6th & 7th...
4. With the Steelers 'habit' of picking skill players early, they could use those 2 4ths to pick 'non-skill' guys like Zane Beadles & Mike Neal...only mention those 2 because the Steelers have shown a fair bit of interest there..
5. WR...the Steelers bring back ARE & sign Arnaz Battle- both former QB's turned WR. Joe Webb could learn a thing or two from those guys....
Schiavone's Race Career: