Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Per PFT: Roethlisberger Suspension Coming by Tuesday

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler Flasteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere on the water.
    Posts
    2,436

    Per PFT: Roethlisberger Suspension Coming by Tuesday

    Report: Suspension of Ben Roethlisberger coming by Tuesday
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 18, 2010 10:44 PM ET
    On Thursday, Steelers president Art Rooney said that the team would be working with the league regarding the imposition of discipline on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, and that no suspension would be imminent. "I don't expect we will be announcing any final decisions until the week after the draft, at the earliest," Rooney said.

    On the surface, it's a smart move. With the schedule being released on Tuesday night and the draft launching Thursday, the announcement of a Roethlisberger suspension would serve only to distract from a week of great NFL news and events.

    Then again, maybe the league in its infinite P.R. wisdom (and we're not being sarcastic, for a change) has decided to slip the suspension through the five hole during a week in which we're otherwise waiting for the schedule on Tuesday and focusing on the draft, which starts Thursday. If the league announces the suspension in the middle of Tuesday afternoon, the dominant Wednesday morning news in every market but Pittsburgh will be local team's (teams') schedule. Then the draft will take over and by the following Monday we'll still be breaking down the picks and getting ready for minicamps.

    If the league holds the suspension until the week after the draft, it'll take on a life of its own.

    And so maybe it makes sense that, as Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports, the NFL will announce a suspension of Roethlisberger on Monday or Tuesday. Of this week.

    Per Cole, Roethlisberger is unlikely to fight the suspension.

    That said, we don't rule out an appeal if Roethlisberger gets slapped with more than four games. In that case, an appeal could persuade Commissioner Roger Goodell to reduce the penalty, creating maximum impact in connection with the initial announcement and then generating a sense that the Personal Conduct Policy currently works as written, even though Goodell issues the penalty and presides over the appeal of his own decision.

    We're thinking the end result will be four games. We won't be surprised if it's eight.

    Either way, it looks like we'll have the answer soon.



    4 games seems excessive to me. I think it should be a combination of a hefty fine plus a two-game suspension. There are larger issues here than winning football games, but we're talking about seriously jeopardizing our ability to reach the post-season if our starting quarterback is out for four or more games.

    Yes, there is a selfishness to my reasoning but I also wonder why the team and fan-base must be punished as well. Roethlisberger is not guilty of a crime but he should be made to pay for brining shame to the team and to the league. If the objective of any consequences is to provide a deterrent for Roethlisberger or others to violate such conduct, I think forfeiture of large chunks of their salary would work pretty well.



    "I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

    "Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."


    -Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    3,576

    Re: Per PFT: Roethlisberger Suspension Coming by Tuesday

    Peter King is saying between 4-8 games per his twitter
    https://cex.io/r/0/birtikidis/0/
    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

    I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

  3. #3

    Re: Per PFT: Roethlisberger Suspension Coming by Tuesday

    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Report: Suspension of Ben Roethlisberger coming by Tuesday
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 18, 2010 10:44 PM ET
    On Thursday, Steelers president Art Rooney said that the team would be working with the league regarding the imposition of discipline on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, and that no suspension would be imminent. "I don't expect we will be announcing any final decisions until the week after the draft, at the earliest," Rooney said.

    On the surface, it's a smart move. With the schedule being released on Tuesday night and the draft launching Thursday, the announcement of a Roethlisberger suspension would serve only to distract from a week of great NFL news and events.

    Then again, maybe the league in its infinite P.R. wisdom (and we're not being sarcastic, for a change) has decided to slip the suspension through the five hole during a week in which we're otherwise waiting for the schedule on Tuesday and focusing on the draft, which starts Thursday. If the league announces the suspension in the middle of Tuesday afternoon, the dominant Wednesday morning news in every market but Pittsburgh will be local team's (teams') schedule. Then the draft will take over and by the following Monday we'll still be breaking down the picks and getting ready for minicamps.

    If the league holds the suspension until the week after the draft, it'll take on a life of its own.

    And so maybe it makes sense that, as Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports, the NFL will announce a suspension of Roethlisberger on Monday or Tuesday. Of this week.

    Per Cole, Roethlisberger is unlikely to fight the suspension.

    That said, we don't rule out an appeal if Roethlisberger gets slapped with more than four games. In that case, an appeal could persuade Commissioner Roger Goodell to reduce the penalty, creating maximum impact in connection with the initial announcement and then generating a sense that the Personal Conduct Policy currently works as written, even though Goodell issues the penalty and presides over the appeal of his own decision.

    We're thinking the end result will be four games. We won't be surprised if it's eight.

    Either way, it looks like we'll have the answer soon.



    4 games seems excessive to me. I think it should be a combination of a hefty fine plus a two-game suspension. There are larger issues here than winning football games, but we're talking about seriously jeopardizing our ability to reach the post-season if our starting quarterback is out for four or more games.

    Yes, there is a selfishness to my reasoning but I also wonder why the team and fan-base must be punished as well. Roethlisberger is not guilty of a crime but he should be made to pay for brining shame to the team and to the league. If the objective of any consequences is to provide a deterrent for Roethlisberger or others to violate such conduct, I think forfeiture of large chunks of their salary would work pretty well.
    Good points, FLASTEEL. I wonder though if salary can be docked, per the collective bargaining agreement? And, he's so friggin' rich, I think it would be harder to hurt him by witholding salary than it would be by making him stand like Dump Truck in grey sweats as he watches his team struggle without him.

    As far as punishing Steeler Nation by keeping him out for more than 2 games ... reading what's been published about how people in the 'burgh feel (links found in various threads around here), I wonder if a fair amount of citizens would rather give up a season and feel "clean", than win without a fair settling of the score, as they see it.

    I actually think the bigger question is - how likely is it that we're going to go through this whole thing again? Because if he does wind up on the police blotter, or even the allegation page again, I think he's going to be gone for a long time, if not longer. And most of us would, in retrospect, wish he had been traded.

    It's not clear cut to me whether he should be kept, from that point of view - whatever the Rooney's think is best I will support 100% - they've got a lot more info and insight into this than any of us do (except maybe Ruth, I believe he is actually some sort of NFL big wig who just enjoys posting here, and has a "cover" identity as a college professor ... ).


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,461

    Re: Per PFT: Roethlisberger Suspension Coming by Tuesday

    All I'll say is that if it's more than 4, then it's unreasonable. If it's 8...it'd be outrageous & I'd expect the union to really throw a MAJOR fit.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

  5. #5

    Re: Per PFT: Roethlisberger Suspension Coming by Tuesday

    A couple things...

    According to Peter King from CNNSI...one of the reasons the league wants to have the deicision surrounding Ben's suspension and not the Rooney's (not the primary or only one mind you just one of the reasons) is that they can give a suspension of greater than 4 games based on the negotiated Player Conduct Policy.

    It appears from King's article that Ben is running scared right now.

    The other thing he mentions and the one that all of us wish for but realize it won't happen...
    This thing is not going to go away...not now, not during the draft, not on primetime sweeps week (Law and Order SVU anyone?)...

    There will be signs and boos everywhere he goes including his home stadium.

    No I am afraid this is not going to go away and imagine the circus the media will have when Ben comes back from his suspension.

    Brothervad

    Article follows:

    Steelers ready to move forward with Big Ben; mock draft madness Story Highlights
    Ben Roethlisberger's punishment needs to include mandatory counseling
    Tackle Bryan Bulaga's stock is all over the board as the NFL draft nears
    Much more on mock drafts, arm length, Ryan Leaf and 10 Things I Think I Think

    PRINT EMAIL Buzz up! FACEBOOK DIGG TWITTER RSS SHARE

    Ben Roethlisberger has been accused of sexually assaulting two women, in separate incidents, in the past nine months. No criminal charges were filed in either case.
    John Biever/SI


    Thoughts on The New Draft, the inexact science of mock drafting, why I miss Paul Zimmerman so much at this time of year, the tackle who's all over draft boards ... but first, the only story of the week:

    The Ben Roethlisberger saga, and what the Rooney family plans to do about it.

    I spoke to Art Rooney II, the Steelers president and franchise caretaker since owner Dan Rooney is at work as Ambassador to Ireland, and wanted to get one thing straight: "My read of what you said in your news conference, and to the New York Times, is that you're moving forward with Ben as a Steeler.''

    "That's a fair reading, yup,'' Rooney said.

    So unless Roethlisberger screws up again -- unlikely because of how scared he is right now, I'm told -- he'll be the quarterback of the Steelers this year. That is after he's suspended by commissioner Roger Goodell for some period, which I now think has to be at least four games at the start of the season, for violating the league's personal conduct policy.

    I feel confident this is going to be league discipline, not Steeler-imposed discipline, even though Rooney made it clear he'd rather the team punish Roethlisberger. The league handles hot-button discipline issues like this from 280 Park Avenue consistently, and I just don't think Goodell wants to cede authority to the team on such a hot-button issue. This also allows the league to rap Roethlisberger longer; the max sanction a team can mete out is four games. The league has no such limit.

    On Sunday night, Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reported Goodell is expected to suspend Roethlisberger either Monday or Tuesday. I'd been told last week that the league would still be gathering information on the incident for several more days, but then the 572-page police investigation was released, a damning lot of evidence against Roethlisberger. Whether he's suspended this week or after the draft, there's little doubt Goodell will act swiftly on a Roethlisberger sanction once he feels he has all the pertinent information.

    So Roethlisberger stays a Steeler. And the league, not the team, is likely to handle the punishment. Those are the two headlines here, but there's so much more. First, I'm not sure the Steelers giving Roethlisberger another chance is going to mollify Steeler fans. I think the anger of the fans is not going to be soothed very soon, and rightfully so. If a quarter of the accusations from that night in Georgia are true, he deserves the wrath he'll feel. There could be picketing in bucolic Latrobe this summer, at training camp. He'll get booed in his own stadium. He'll have to have cotton in his ears in every road stadium. He'll be a huge distraction to his own team. The Steelers are counting on time healing the wounds of the Steeler public. I'm not sure they're right about that. We'll see.

    I know Steeler fans well. I married a Pittsburgh girl. The tenor of the fans I've spoken with goes something like this: I'll always love the Steelers, but I'll never cheer for that bum Roethlisberger again.

    "I understand what's out there,'' Rooney said. "It's a difficult situation. I know our fans feel strongly about it. I'm hearing from them in large measure. I've gotten e-mails, been on some message boards and on Facebook. I've read the anger, and I understand it. Ben is embarrassed by it.''

    But I'm also left thinking Roethlisberger's image might have been less sullied had he been charged with a crime. We've heard a fairly one-sided portrayal of events of the evening. An underage college girl and some friends are plied with alcohol, and Roethlisberger disappears with a totally intoxicated one, and the totally intoxicated one, who hit her head at one point, told police she remembers saying no to Roethlisberger's advances twice.

    I'm not sure how reliable those statements should be, but it's likely the Roethlisberger side will try to let the story die and not refute anything. I believe the night probably happened close to the way the victim and her friends say it did, and that Roethlisberger is a lout. But in this job, I'm always uncomfortable hearing one side of a story, and the damning statements of the victim and her friends will likely be all we hear on this one. Maybe ever.

    As for Roethlisberger, he's lucky the Steelers have a different morality standard for their star quarterback than for their Super Bowl MVP receiver. They could have traded Roethlisberger to Oakland, and if you think I'm kidding, you don't know Al Davis. But as angry as they obviously are with him, they're going to back him, assuming he turns his life around.

    We could argue all day about the relative fairness of dumping a guy, Santonio Holmes, who is one strike from being banned for a year and entering the last year of a contract the Steelers probably were not going to extend, and keeping the marquee quarterback with two Super Bowl rings and a problem with how he treats women. The fact is, the quarterback's far more important to the team than the receiver, and he's going to get a little more rope. But there's no doubt he's reached the end of it with the Rooney family.

    "When I met with Ben, he said he's going to be changing his life,'' Rooney said. Then he paused for two or three seconds.

    "Words are the easy part,'' he said. "We have to make sure Ben puts himself on a path to do better. It's a tall order, but it's something he has to do.''

    He has no choice if he wants to stay a Steeler. And if he wants to stay a free man.

    One last point: However it happened, and finger-pointing aside, at least two women have come forward in the last nine months and accused Roethlisberger of taking advantage of them -- in graphic, sordid detail. That's why Goodell's punishment can't just be four, six or eight games. It has to include some mandatory counseling. If Roethlisberger's serious about changing his life, there's some evidence there that he needs to change how he treats women, and that should include figuring out why he keeps ending up in this spot.



    Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... z0lWG4pjFE
    Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

  6. #6

    Re: Per PFT: Roethlisberger Suspension Coming by Tuesday

    Quote Originally Posted by brothervad
    A couple things...

    According to Peter King from CNNSI...one of the reasons the league wants to have the deicision surrounding Ben's suspension and not the Rooney's (not the primary or only one mind you just one of the reasons) is that they can give a suspension of greater than 4 games based on the negotiated Player Conduct Policy.

    It appears from King's article that Ben is running scared right now.

    The other thing he mentions and the one that all of us wish for but realize it won't happen...
    This thing is not going to go away...not now, not during the draft, not on primetime sweeps week (Law and Order SVU anyone?)...

    There will be signs and boos everywhere he goes including his home stadium.

    No I am afraid this is not going to go away and imagine the circus the media will have when Ben comes back from his suspension.

    Brothervad

    Article follows:...

    So unless Roethlisberger screws up again -- unlikely because of how scared he is right now, I'm told -- he'll be the quarterback of the Steelers this year. That is after he's suspended by commissioner Roger Goodell for some period, which I now think has to be at least four games at the start of the season, for violating the league's personal conduct policy. ...
    I liked reading that bit in green very much. It gives me a sliver of hope that maybe Ben will not keep doing this sh*t over and over again. Not much hope, but at least some.


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,353

    Re: Per PFT: Roethlisberger Suspension Coming by Tuesday

    What if Goodell makes an example of Ben?


    What if we are hoping for 2 weeks, expecting 4 weeks, fearing 8 weeks...but we are all off?

    What if Ben gets the year?

    Heres the thing- if Ben gets 8 weeks, you may as well give him the year- he'll be that far behind as it is. Besides, whoever plays QB in his absense will be hard done-by if Ben just walks back in after a lengthy suspension.

    And the season will be over anyway if the Steelers can't win without Ben.

    This could be a long year.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  8. #8

    Re: Per PFT: Roethlisberger Suspension Coming by Tuesday

    This could be a long year
    Think how bad it will be for Ben! DUMBAZZZZ BEN!

    On a side note, I plan and hope to make it to my first training camp. Want to see how that ends up this year first hand.

  9. #9
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678

    Re: Per PFT: Roethlisberger Suspension Coming by Tuesday

    Any more than a two game suspension & the league my as well say he is guilty.
    @_Hellgrammite

  10. #10
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    20,353

    Re: Per PFT: Roethlisberger Suspension Coming by Tuesday

    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    It's not clear cut to me whether he should be kept, from that point of view - whatever the Rooney's think is best I will support 100% - they've got a lot more info and insight into this than any of us do (except maybe Ruth, I believe he is actually some sort of NFL big wig who just enjoys posting here, and has a "cover" identity as a college professor ... ).
    Me? An NFL big wig? Not anymore, my friend. I'm actually Paul Tagliabue. I just enjoy coming on here because you folks hate Goodell so much that it makes me feel better about myself.


    1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •