Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK, all you "trade Ben" people...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

OK, all you "trade Ben" people...

This topic has been discussed to an exhaustive level. But I don't see how any team is going to trade for him at this point. Can you imagine the fan backlash from another team...say the Rams...if they traded the #1 overall pick (plus some) to the Steelers for Ben? They let the Steelers draft a squeaky clean Sam Bradford and they take on an alleged "rapist" (those are not my words)? I just can't see it happening from a PR standpoint. Even if the Steelers wanted to trade Ben right now, I don't think it will happen. because they will not get fair value for him. I for one will be glad that he is staying in Pittsburgh.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: OK, all you "trade Ben" people...

I guess I'm one of the trade Ben guys since I've been outspoken about his ineptitude in conducting himself in public, even though I've never said to actually trade him. I wouldn't be saddened however if the Steelers were to trade him to SF or Seattle for this year's first round picks ( 2 for each of them) and something next year.

I'd rather the Steelers go into battle with Ben, but if they choose not to I would completely understand their position. No need to rehash that discussion.

With Ben the Steelers have an image problem until he proves himself socially acceptable, without Ben their image doesn't take a hit as bad, but they won't be as successful. Tough call, I'm glad I don't have to make it.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't want him traded but you can't ignore everyone, even those outside this message board are discussing it daily. Right now there is something with ESPN insider about "potential trade options" I'm not a insider so I have no idea what it discloses. It's likely just a bunch of typical ESPN speculation. Insiders? anyone wanna post up the info?

Legend

User Info Menu

Do not trade Ben.

Yes, he has made some mistakes and yes, it's time for him to grow up. However, I have full faith and confidence that Ben will learn from these unfortunate events and become not only a better player but also a better person.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

There is no 'fixing' a sociopath.

No treatment options, no counseling options, no meds, nothing.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

honestly at this point I doubt they would get 2 #1's for Ben. Not because I think his talent is devalued...but the Steelers can't shop him. If they do the other teams will know they want to part with him "at all costs" and will low ball the Steelers.

The only way this comes down, is the Steelers keep radio silence on trading Ben and actually do have a scenario where they keep him.

And decide the only way they part with Ben is if someone on Draft day present them something that knocks their socks off.

My heart would like to see a trade, but my head realizes that it is unlikely. As stated before I will root for the Steelers, but could care a less about the QB if it is Ben...

But that's fairly well known in other threads

brothervad

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJackGold

Now Ben is a sociopath? I'm sure if you looked up the DSM-IV criteria you would find consistencies with a few of the reported "facts" in his cases. But to try and offer that type of diagnosis based on media accounts from 2 impaired and/or duplicitous individuals - all from the comfort of your couch - is at best idiotic.

All it shows is you disliked Roethlisberger prior to these recent situations or you are too quick to judge others. Either way, it's real weak to come on here slinging that kind of crap. It sounds like something you'd see on a Ravens board.

Backup

User Info Menu

I think that Ben's conduct was reprehensible, but I don't necessarily think that he is a sociopath. Obviously I am only speculating, but I think that Ben lacks maturity and is a binge drinker who is obnoxious when he is drunk. Couple that with a feeling of entitlement that comes from being a star athelete and companions who are enablers, and it is a recipe for disaster.

But I don't think that he is beyond redemption, and I don't think that he should be traded. Putting aside emotion, the NFL is a business, and the players are assets. Like it or not, Ben Roethlisberger is the most valuable asset that the Steelers have. For those of us who have been Steelers fans for more than 40 years, we know all too well how rare true franchise QB's are. We had to wait 20 years after Bradshaw left for Big Ben to show up. Some teams have never had a franchise QB. Every year that Ben lines up under center for the Steelers they have a legitimate chance to win the Super Bowl. It simply doesn't make sense to trade him at the point in time where his value is the lowest. It would be like selling a good stcck after it had a bad quarter and it's price had fallen substantially. Unless you think that the company is never going to recover, you should hold it. I think Ben can recover, and I think that the Steelers nation should allow him the opportunity that Art Rooney has asked us to give him.

Ben needs to follow the example that Kobe Bryant has set for him. When the Lakers won the NBA title last year, the Lakers fans didn't enjoy it one bit less because Kobe was still on the team and was the MVP. Like Kobe, Ben is going to have to be purer than Caeser's wife. He needs to get counselling and follow through on what recommendations result from that counseling. He needs to stop going out drinking and trying to see whether he can get laid every night by a different woman. He needs to grow up and start taking his responsiblities as a franchise QB seriously. And hopefully one day he can find a nice woman and settle down. To date he's been looking in all of the wrong places.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think I even care anymore.

I'll support the Steelers, and buy the jerseys of players like Troy Polamalu.

I hate that the Steelers are viewed with ridicule because of the actions of a few players. I hate the media. I can't believe the Steelers & NFL would suspend/fine Ben for rumours- I believe there must be substance to those rumours. I can't believe Ben & his legal team would ALLOW Ben to be suspended or fined based on rumours. If you want to believe Ben is innocent- go ahead. Don't ram it down my throat, I don't care. It is what it is.

The girl's testimony is crap. The whole process was a disaster & as a result, will always be viewed as Ben getting away with it.

Trade Ben or keep him- can't be bothered. Win the f'n SB on the back of the Defense for all I care.

I don't WANT to support a Ravens/Bengals type organisation. I WANT my Steelers to be more than that. If they are not- maybe that is my problem.

Maybe now we can all at least agree that talent does outweight character, and as a result- the Steelers should definately draft Dez Bryant if he falls to #18.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Nate Wiggins CB
    2. Ricky Pearsall WR
    3. Blake Fisher OT
    3. Mason McCormick OC
    4. Cedric Gray ILB
    6. Jaden Crumedy DT
    6. Tahj Washington WR

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJackGold

Now Ben is a sociopath? I'm sure if you looked up the DSM-IV criteria you would find consistencies with a few of the reported "facts" in his cases. But to try and offer that type of diagnosis based on media accounts from 2 impaired and/or duplicitous individuals - all from the comfort of your couch - is at best idiotic.

All it shows is you disliked Roethlisberger prior to these recent situations or you are too quick to judge others. Either way, it's real weak to come on here slinging that kind of crap. It sounds like something you'd see on a Ravens board.