Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OK, all you "trade Ben" people...

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: OK, all you "trade Ben" people...

Talent does NOT outweigh character, with the possible exception of established franchise QB's. Talented WR's with bad character are a dime a dozen, like Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress before him. I would be outraged if the Steelers were to waste their first round pick on a problem child like Dez Bryant. The Steelers don't need a first round receiver (or even a second or third round receiver) because they alreay have four pretty good ones (Ward, Wallace, Randall El and Battle) and they need to give Limas Sweed a legitimate chance to show what he can do.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ter1230_4
    Talent does NOT outweigh character, with the possible exception of established franchise QB's. Talented WR's with bad character are a dime a dozen, like Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress before him. I would be outraged if the Steelers were to waste their first round pick on a problem child like Dez Bryant. The Steelers don't need a first round receiver (or even a second or third round receiver) because they alreay have four pretty good ones (Ward, Wallace, Randall El and Battle) and they need to give Limas Sweed a legitimate chance to show what he can do.
    Outraged?

Why?

In fact- you know what? I don't really want to know. I'll just accept that.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Cooper DeJean CB
    2. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Blake Fisher OT
    3. Mason McCormick OC
    4. Cedric Gray ILB
    6. Jaden Crumedy DT
    6. Tahj Washington WR

Backup

User Info Menu

Chadman,

You say that "I hate that the Steelers are viewed with ridicule because of the actions of a few players", and that "I don't WANT to support a Ravens/Bengals type organization. I WANT my Steelers to be more than that". I am in total agreement with you. But then you say that talent outweighs character and the Steelers need to draft Dez Bryant in the first round. That seems very inconsistent to me.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Chadman,

You say that "I hate that the Steelers are viewed with ridicule because of the actions of a few players", and that "I don't WANT to support a Ravens/Bengals type organization. I WANT my Steelers to be more than that". I am in total agreement with you. But then you say that talent outweighs character and the Steelers need to draft Dez Bryant in the first round. That seems very inconsistent to me.

I could be wrong, because I am not Chadman...but I think there may be some sarcasm involved here.

brothervad

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Rams, Steelers could benefit from trades
    April, 16, 2010
    APR 16
    2:39
    PM ET
    Comment Print Email Share
    By Kevin Weidl, Scouts Inc.
    It has been reported that the Cleveland Browns are interested in trading with the St. Louis Rams to obtain the No. 1 overall pick. Should that trade go down, it would likely cost the Browns the No. 7 pick this year and their first-round selection in 2011.

Cleveland obviously needs franchise quarterback and would target Oklahoma's Sam Bradford. Team president Mike Holmgren has said publicly that he is not in love with Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen -- which all but rules Clausen out as a possibility for the Browns at No. 7 -- and while the price for Bradford would be steep, he would fill a very big need.

As for the Rams, the move would make sense for them if they still have reservations about Bradford's surgically repaired throwing shoulder and how his experience in Oklahoma's spread system would translate to the NFL. It could also make financial sense because St. Louis would not be locked into paying Bradford something north of $40 million in guaranteed money.

The Rams could then select Clausen at No. 7, mitigating concerns about his arm strength and how he handles bad weather by giving him eight home games per year in a dome and another guaranteed game in Arizona. He would perhaps be the biggest winner of all, given the playing situation and money involved.

Should the trade not materialize, the Browns would likely target a safety, such as Tennessee's Eric Berry. If Berry comes off the board in the first six picks, Cleveland could take a pass-rusher such as South Florida's Jason Pierre-Paul or Georgia Tech's Derrick Morgan, or even Berry's college teammate Dan Williams, as the heir apparent to aging NT Shaun Rogers.

And while it would seem to make sense for St. Louis to begin negotiating with Bradford in the absence of a trade, ESPN's Adam Schefter and others are reporting that neither side wants to enter into negotiations ahead of draft day. That opens up the possibility that the Rams could select Bradford and put him on the market immediately, much like what the San Diego Chargers did with Eli Manning in 2004.

Pondering a Roethlisberger trade
    There has been speculation in recent days that the Pittsburgh Steelers might consider trading away troubled QB Ben Roethlisberger. Some argue that strictly from a football perspective the Steelers would be foolish to part ways with a franchise quarterback who has won two Super Bowls and is just now entering his prime years, but from Scouts Inc.'s perspective, some interesting scenarios develop when you start connecting the dots.

First, rule out bitter division rival Cleveland and other quarterback-starved AFC teams like Buffalo, Oakland and Jacksonville. The last thing Pittsburgh wants is to face Roethlisberger twice a year with the Browns, or have him standing in the way of a Super Bowl run with another AFC team.

(Yes, Philadelphia recently traded Donovan McNabb within its division to Washington, but in our opinion, the Eagles are not afraid of an aging McNabb in the way the Steelers would be of Roethlisberger.)

That leaves two NFC teams with a need at quarterback and the ammunition to acquire a player of Big Ben's stature: Seattle and San Francisco.

The Seahawks (Nos. 6 and 14) and 49ers (Nos. 13 and 17) each have two first-round picks and could conceivably package their earlier first-rounder with their 2011 first-round pick to acquire Roethlisberger, who would be an upgrade over fragile Seahawks starter Matt Hasselbeck or inconsistent 49ers QB Alex Smith.

Either team would instantly have the best quarterback in the NFC West and would maintain a first-round presence this year while Pittsburgh -- which currently picks at No. 18 overall -- would end up with two first-round selections this year and next.

That would leave the Steelers free to shore up needs along the offensive line and at cornerback this year, and if Seattle dealt the No. 6 pick, Pittsburgh would be in the running for a tackle, such as Oklahoma's Trent Williams or Iowa's Bryan Bulaga.

If San Francisco included the 13th selection, perhaps an interior lineman such as Idaho G Mike Iupati or Florida G/C Maurkice Pouncey would come into play, and -- trade or not -- Alabama CB Kareem Jackson is and would remain a possibility at No. 18.

The Steelers could then find a stopgap quarterback solution such as Byron Leftwich or Marc Bulger in 2010 and be set up nicely to use one of its 2011 first-rounders to obtain a top prospect such as Jake Locker (Washington), Andrew Luck (Stanford) or Ryan Mallett (Arkansas), either straight up or in a trade-up scenario.

There are certainly no guarantees when it comes to quarterback prospects, but all three players listed above will enter the NFL ahead of the game compared to most other college quarterbacks. Locker and Luck play in pro-style systems for coaches (Steve Sarkisian and Jim Harbaugh, respectively) who know how to develop quarterbacks, and Mallett has the kind of size and rifle arm NFL teams covet.

No one is quite sure how Pittsburgh will handle Roethlisberger, and we all know how hard it is to find a franchise quarterback on his level, but there are possibilities out there that are feasible and could turn a short-term loss into a long-term gain for the Steelers while giving some lucky team one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

Analyzing the Ginn trade
    The San Francisco 49ers filled a need for a playmaker opposite Michael Crabtree by trading what is reported to be a fifth-round pick to the Miami Dolphins in return for WR Ted Ginn Jr.

Scouts Inc. did not have the 49ers seeking help at receiver in its latest first-round mock draft, and they are now more free than ever to focus on upgrading their defense and/or offensive line with picks No. 13 and 17.

A cornerback like Florida's Joe Haden would make sense with the 13th pick, and with the 17th pick, San Francisco could address its need for a pass rusher with Texas DE/OLB Sergio Kindle.

Offensive tackle is also a possibility at No. 17, and with the top three tackles likely off the board and Rutgers' Anthony Davis facing character questions, the Niners could opt for USC's Charles Brown, who has gained momentum lately in scouting circles.

Miami, meanwhile, filled its own hole at wide receiver with the Brandon Marshall trade and can now use the No. 12 overall pick to bolster its 3-4 defensive front with a pass rusher such as Morgan or Pierre-Paul, or perhaps a nose tackle such as Williams.
    Potential options for a Big Ben trade
    7:23
    AM ET
    Ben Roethlisberger | Steelers | Interested: 49ers?, Seahawks?, Cardinals?, Raiders?, Bills? Top Email

While Thursday's press conference with Art Rooney, II didn't bring any news of a punishment for Ben Roethlisberger, we did get a report earlier in the day from Jason La Canfora of NFL.com that the team would "intently listen" to any trade offers that came in for the QB. During the presser, Rooney was quite conspicuous in not shooting down talk of a Roethlisberger trade. On Friday morning, Michael Lombardi of National Football Post pondered a possible Roethlisberger trade, speculating on the Raiders and Bills trading their opening round picks in exchange for the quarterback.

Here's some background. After the charges against Ben Roethlisberger in Georgia were dropped, we wondered whether he'd still face punishment from the Pittsburgh Steelers or the league. This is especially true given the fact that Steelers ownership is now "shaken" by the "onslaught of fan discontent" over the Roethlisberger situation, per a tweet from Yahoo! Sports' Charles Robinson.

Taking this to the logical extreme, the Steelers could simply put their Super Bowl champion QB on the market, as discussed above. They proved with the Santonio Holmes trade that they're willing to cut ties with players who are bad apples (regardless of on-field talent), and for a price tag that would raise eyebrows. On the field, Roethlisberger is a match for a lot of teams. He's certainly one of the NFL's most talented QBs, and there are many teams that would jump at the chance to add him to their roster if not for the negative off-field activities.

Ken Laird of 1250 ESPN Radio in Pittsburgh emailed in with the feeling on the ground in the Steel City. In Laird's opinion, the city seems to be evenly split, with some folks ready to send Ben away because of the allegations, while some folks aren't ready to crucify one of the NFL's top QBs given the uncertainties involved.

Adam Schefter and Kevin Weidl of Scouts, Inc. offer up some potential trade partners for the Steelers below:

Adam Schefter
    If they can't get McNabb, Cards should call about Ben
    "If I were the Cardinals' GM, I would have traded for Donovan McNabb. And I would call the Redskins now and find out what they would want for him, even though they just traded for him. And if they didn't want to give up McNabb, my next phone call would be to Pittsburgh to see what it would take to get Ben Roethlisberger. I'd want to reunite him with Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm. One way or another, if I'm the Cardinals' GM, I'd want to shore up my quarterback position in a way that cannot be done through the draft, but only by a trade."

Scouts, Inc.'s Kevin Weidl
    Steelers could benefit by trading Roethlisberger to Niners, Seahawks
    "The Seahawks (Nos. 6 and 14) and 49ers (Nos. 13 and 17) each have two first-round picks and could conceivably package their earlier first-rounder with their 2011 first-round pick to acquire Roethlisberger, who would be an upgrade over fragile Seahawks starter Matt Hasselbeck or inconsistent 49ers QB Alex Smith. Either team would instantly have the best quarterback in the NFC West and would maintain a first-round presence this year while Pittsburgh -- which currently picks at No. 18 overall -- would end up with two first-round selections this year and next. ... The Steelers could then find a stopgap quarterback solution such as Byron Leftwich or Marc Bulger in 2010 and be set up nicely to use one of its 2011 first-rounders to obtain a top prospect such as Jake Locker (Washington), Andrew Luck (Stanford) or Ryan Mallett (Arkansas), either straight up or in a trade-up scenario."
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJackGold
    There is no 'fixing' a sociopath.

No treatment options, no counseling options, no meds, nothing.
    Now Ben is a sociopath? I'm sure if you looked up the DSM-IV criteria you would find consistencies with a few of the reported "facts" in his cases. But to try and offer that type of diagnosis based on media accounts from 2 impaired and/or duplicitous individuals - all from the comfort of your couch - is at best idiotic.

All it shows is you disliked Roethlisberger prior to these recent situations or you are too quick to judge others. Either way, it's real weak to come on here slinging that kind of crap. It sounds like something you'd see on a Ravens board.
    Don't feed the trolls.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brothervad
    Chadman,

I could be wrong, because I am not Chadman...but I think there may be some sarcasm involved here.

brothervad
    You might just be onto something...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Cooper DeJean CB
    2. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Blake Fisher OT
    3. Mason McCormick OC
    4. Cedric Gray ILB
    6. Jaden Crumedy DT
    6. Tahj Washington WR

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well, this thread bounced off of what I had intended. My main point was that the Steelers are NOT going to get fair value for Ben at this point, so he will not be traded. They aren't just going to give him away to be rid of the whole mess.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    Well, this thread bounced off of what I had intended. My main point was that the Steelers are NOT going to get fair value for Ben at this point, so he will not be traded. They aren't just going to give him away to be rid of the whole mess.
    Said right from the beginning that the Steelers would never get what we, as fans, would believe to be market value for Holmes & Ben.

They effectively killed their 'market value' for the Steelers.

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Cooper DeJean CB
    2. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Blake Fisher OT
    3. Mason McCormick OC
    4. Cedric Gray ILB
    6. Jaden Crumedy DT
    6. Tahj Washington WR

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler

Unfortunately, you are mostly right.

There isn't an owner in the league that will take a chance until they know what his discipline will be.

Then there is the huge contract and risk managemnet to consider on both his personal conduct and life along with his health (concussions).

The Rooney's are in a position that they may not be able to slam dunk a 'morals clause' because he was never even charged let alone convicted.

It sadly appears that fans who want to see justice will have to pray for 'football karma'.

Ya know...