Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: The wrong PA. QB got traded

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler Lebsteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    1,007

    The wrong PA. QB got traded

    Sadly, I agree with this article by Wojciechowski at ESPN. Friends, he is simply stating the truth that should be obvious to any objective individual. I hate it, it really ticks me off, but unfortunately it is the truth:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...7&sportCat=nfl

    If not for an ethical district attorney, an angry but fatherly owner, and a depth chart that's chin strap-thin at quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger might not be a Pittsburgh Steeler today.

    As it is, Roethlisberger isn't going to be in the Steelers' starting lineup anytime soon. I'd be stunned -- and disappointed -- if NFL commissioner Roger Goodell doesn't bring the wood and suspend Boozin' Ben for at least three games and preferably four: two games for embarrassing his team and the league, another two for being dumber than a blocking sled.

    Forget, if you can, that Roethlisberger has left a trail of police reports from Lake Tahoe to Milledgeville, Ga. Or that women seem to accuse him of sexual assault a lot. Or that he's lucky to be alive after a 2006 motorcycle accident. (Go figure: A guy who wears a helmet for a living didn't wear one on a motorcycle.)

    "We have made it very clear to Ben that there will be consequence for his actions, and Ben has indicated to us he is willing to accept those consequences," Art Rooney II said Thursday. What amazes you most is that Roethlisberger never seems to learn. He treats life with the same indifference he treats oncoming rushers. He just stands there, takes the hits, staggers up and does the same thing again and again.

    Meanwhile, Donovan McNabb -- model citizen, model teammate, model representative of the league and the Philadelphia Eagles -- gets shipped to the Washington Redskins in a cardboard box. All he did was win games, conduct himself with dignity and never appear in a police mug shot.

    The wrong Pennsylvania quarterback got traded. Roethlisberger ought to be in another uniform today, not McNabb. I'd say the Oakland Raiders and Roethlisberger deserve each other, but I'm not sure even Al Davis deserves what Ben has become. Anyway, hasn't Davis already suffered enough with the galactically apathetic JaMarcus Russell?

    In Thursday afternoon's news conference, Steelers president Art Rooney II said "at this point" the team had not discussed a Roethlisberger trade with another franchise. At this point. Intriguing, isn't it?

    The Steelers, the fifth-oldest franchise in the NFL, are the ultimate mom-and-pop shop, a family-owned business that has roots as deep as the Monongahela River. The team is so serious about its history that Art Rooney's original office (the old man bought the team in 1933) is preserved in the Steelers' headquarters.

    So when Rooney II says the franchise's good name has "taken a hit," he's talking about the legacy of the Rooneys. Maybe that's why he did little to hide his displeasure with a series of off-the-field incidents involving Roethlisberger, kicker Jeff Reed and now-former Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes.

    Holmes was traded to the New York Jets for a fifth-round draft pick and some mouth guards. A little more than a year ago, Holmes was a Super Bowl MVP. Donovan McNabb did nothing wrong, but got traded. Maybe he would have been a better fit in Pittsburgh.
    If you attached Rooney II or owner Dan Rooney (who serves as U.S. ambassador to Ireland) to a lie detector, you wonder if you'd find they had kicked the tires on a McNabb trade. It's not like the Redskins gave up a lot for McNabb: a second-rounder in next week's draft and a fourth-rounder in 2011. McNabb is everything that Roethlisberger isn't, beginning with responsible.

    I know, Roethlisberger is 28, McNabb is 33. Roethlisberger has two Super Bowl rings, McNabb has zero. But Roethlisberger also has issues that lean toward self-destruction. Why else would he keep putting himself and his career in such compromising situations?

    Roethlisberger wasn't charged with a crime in the Georgia case, but he is guilty of stupidity. And who knows how the Tahoe case is going to play out.

    Reading between the lines of Rooney's comments Thursday, it sounds as if Roethlisberger is going to remain a Steeler. I'm not sure the team has much of a choice. Charlie Batch is 35 years old and a dependable backup -- but that's all he is, a backup. The Steelers like the potential of Dennis Dixon, but Dixon has a grand total of 13 completions in two years. A trade to somehow move up to the No. 1 pick and take Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford is a possibility, I suppose.

    And all because Roethlisberger keeps failing the only multiple-choice test that matters.

    If I think there's a possibility I'm about to do something really dumb, do I ...
    A. Walk away.
    B. Order another round.

    Roethlisberger is running out of B answers and chances. If he's lucky, he'll still be a Steeler at the end of next week and only get suspended for four games by Goodell. And if that happens, he needs to call someone for advice on how to be a pro's pro.

    McNabb.

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,105

    Re: The wrong PA. QB got traded

    Wow, there is so much wrong with this that I don't know where to start. Perhaps reading the other 20 topics might cover it.

    At the end of the day, an injustice will be done if Ben is punished in any way over this. Nuff said.

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler Lebsteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    1,007

    Re: The wrong PA. QB got traded

    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    Wow, there is so much wrong with this that I don't know where to start. Perhaps reading the other 20 topics might cover it.

    At the end of the day, an injustice will be done if Ben is punished in any way over this. Nuff said.
    Nuff said. Yep, you are probably right. Enjoy your day, Sugar.

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,480

    Re: The wrong PA. QB got traded

    Another "holier-than-thou" article from someone who muddles the facts in order to make his point. He completely glosses over the point that there wasn't enough evidence to charge Ben - but he doesn't let that stop him from essentially charging him anyway (following the lead of the DA & completely ignoring the accuser's credibility). He completely ignores the fact that the Reno case is bogus, the accuser is bogus & that Ben is counter-suing - but why let that get in the way of a good rant? Then he brings up the motorcycle thing again...can the team please distribute a release to remind the press that Ben was hit by someone going the wrong way & it was a bad accident, not some flaunting act of stupidity? Anyway, the best thing about a sports writer is that you always get to be right, never have to get all the details correct & when you are wrong - you never have to apologize.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hey Roger...
    Posts
    3,139

    Re: The wrong PA. QB got traded

    "another two for being dumber than a blocking sled."

    Id say there are at least a few players ahead of Pig Ben on that count...

    Shaun Rogers trying to board a plane with a loaded gun.

    Stonio's inane twitterings.

    Donovon McNabb didnt know an NFL regular season game could end in a tie.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler Lebsteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    1,007

    Re: The wrong PA. QB got traded

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Another "holier-than-thou" article from someone who muddles the facts in order to make his point. He completely glosses over the point that there wasn't enough evidence to charge Ben - but he doesn't let that stop him from essentially charging him anyway (following the lead of the DA & completely ignoring the accuser's credibility). He completely ignores the fact that the Reno case is bogus, the accuser is bogus & that Ben is counter-suing - but why let that get in the way of a good rant? Then he brings up the motorcycle thing again...can the team please distribute a release to remind the press that Ben was hit by someone going the wrong way & it was a bad accident, not some flaunting act of stupidity? Anyway, the best thing about a sports writer is that you always get to be right, never have to get all the details correct & when you are wrong - you never have to apologize.
    Ben counter-suing the four sorority sisters would be a great start in restoring his credibility. I really hope it happens and he wins. I'm not so sure it would happen. Unless you have your blinders on, there is certainly a lot of "circumstantial" evidence pointing to Ben at least behaving in a manner not appropriate for the face of our franchise. Let's hope he can turn it around, quickly!

  7. #7
    Starter
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    736

    Re: The wrong PA. QB got traded

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Another "holier-than-thou" article from someone who muddles the facts in order to make his point. He completely glosses over the point that there wasn't enough evidence to charge Ben - but he doesn't let that stop him from essentially charging him anyway (following the lead of the DA & completely ignoring the accuser's credibility). He completely ignores the fact that the Reno case is bogus, the accuser is bogus & that Ben is counter-suing - but why let that get in the way of a good rant? Then he brings up the motorcycle thing again...can the team please distribute a release to remind the press that Ben was hit by someone going the wrong way & it was a bad accident, not some flaunting act of stupidity? Anyway, the best thing about a sports writer is that you always get to be right, never have to get all the details correct & when you are wrong - you never have to apologize.



    Spot on mate.

  8. #8
    Pro Bowler Flasteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere on the water.
    Posts
    2,489

    Re: The wrong PA. QB got traded

    That is nothing more than inflammatory hyperbole. Sure the author is entitled to his opinion, but he is exaggerating the known facts and acts as if the only rationale for a trade is the reading on the moral barometer. I believe Roethlisberger is an embarrassment who needs to get his act together. He should be heavily fined and suspended for two games in my opinion...but he also deserves a chance to turn around his image.

    If anyone believes that what Roethlisberger has done is so over-the-top that he is beyond redemption and should be traded - then that's their prerogative. I'd say a person like that is being a little judgmental without full knowledge of the facts, but that just me.

    We should all be on high alert for any future behavior remotely connected to drunken sexual conquests or really anything indicative that he is indeed a social retard. Until that evidence is presented, I'm going to root for what's in the best interests of the Pittsburgh Steelers, as I always have. I will do it with an open mind in regards to number 7. I'll still cheer him when he's great and curse him when he throws a pick or takes a sack.

    Good luck to all of you guys who hate him and want him gone. You face an interesting emotional dilemma once the games start (well...the one's he'll be playing in :P ).



    "I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

    "Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."


    -Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

  9. #9

    Re: The wrong PA. QB got traded

    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Another "holier-than-thou" article from someone who muddles the facts in order to make his point. He completely glosses over the point that there wasn't enough evidence to charge Ben - but he doesn't let that stop him from essentially charging him anyway (following the lead of the DA & completely ignoring the accuser's credibility). He completely ignores the fact that the Reno case is bogus, the accuser is bogus & that Ben is counter-suing - but why let that get in the way of a good rant? Then he brings up the motorcycle thing again...can the team please distribute a release to remind the press that Ben was hit by someone going the wrong way & it was a bad accident, not some flaunting act of stupidity? Anyway, the best thing about a sports writer is that you always get to be right, never have to get all the details correct & when you are wrong - you never have to apologize.



    Spot on mate.
    +1

    These media people are just whores who write so their parent company can sell advertising. They have NO limitations on what they can write, as long as it isn't libelous. The more contentious and provocative the better, from the point of view of the people who write their checks. Look, the original poster mentioned it was ESPN - I'm sure that generated some extra "hits" on the website - yippee, the "sports journalist" gets a raise!!

    This is no better than those political commentators on (pick your network) TV who rant and rave, saying what they want, twisting facts.

    I think there should be some sort of legal standard for insinuation of things that aren't true. Right now I think these vermin can hide behind the fact that "nothing I said was non-factual".

    Scum.


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  10. #10
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: The wrong PA. QB got traded

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Another "holier-than-thou" article from someone who muddles the facts in order to make his point. He completely glosses over the point that there wasn't enough evidence to charge Ben - but he doesn't let that stop him from essentially charging him anyway (following the lead of the DA & completely ignoring the accuser's credibility). He completely ignores the fact that the Reno case is bogus, the accuser is bogus & that Ben is counter-suing - but why let that get in the way of a good rant? Then he brings up the motorcycle thing again...can the team please distribute a release to remind the press that Ben was hit by someone going the wrong way & it was a bad accident, not some flaunting act of stupidity? Anyway, the best thing about a sports writer is that you always get to be right, never have to get all the details correct & when you are wrong - you never have to apologize.




    My turn to editorialize. Anyone (fan, sportswriter or talking head) who thinks Ben should be traded based on claims that are completely unsubstantiated is a pea-brained pinhead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Good luck to all of you guys who hate him and want him gone. You face an interesting emotional dilemma once the games start (well...the one's he'll be playing in :P ).
    I can't wait!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •