Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legal experts praise DA in Georgia

Legend

User Info Menu

Legal experts praise DA in Georgia

Legal experts praise DA in Georgia
    Saturday, April 17, 2010
    By Michael A. Fuoco, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10107/1051139-66.stm"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10107/1051139-66.stm[/url]

The decision by Georgia district attorney Fredric D. Bright not to file rape charges against Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is receiving plaudits from legal scholars who agree he did not have a case that warranted prosecution.

"I think the sentiment is that Bright did a thoughtful job reviewing what he had in front of him and came out with a very sensible decision," said longtime University of Georgia law professor Ronald L. Carlson.

"I think the guy made a very reasoned and correct decision. That was my first reaction and that remains my reaction."

Al Lindsay, a defense attorney and law professor at the University of Pittsburgh, agreed: "There was no other decision to make, in my mind.

"I was quite impressed when [Mr. Bright] made his statement," said Mr. Lindsay, who read the case file that was published on the Post-Gazette's website. "Looking at this file, I think the decision was correct based on the evidence."

Still, retired Pittsburgh police Cmdr. Ronald Freeman, who headed the major crimes unit, said that had he been in charge of the investigation, he would have filed charges against Mr. Roethlisberger.

"I was shocked they didn't file charges. I listened to the entire press conference, and just based on that I felt he should have filed charges," said Mr. Freeman, who said most of what he knew of the evidence came from Mr. Bright's news conference Monday.

But Mr. Lindsay, a former federal and state prosecutor, said it was his conclusion Mr. Bright "would have been way out of bounds to prosecute."

He noted that to win a rape case, Mr. Bright would have had to prove both that Mr. Roethlisberger had sexual relations with the accuser and that the sex was by force. The reason not to seek prosecution, he said, "is he's stuck with [the accuser's] statements" that were at first unclear, because of her intoxication, about whether she had been raped.

"You have to have her testimony, and it would have been very marginal. Because of her extreme intoxication she could not recall [initially]. She wouldn't have been a good witness, and what is significant is she's the only witness [to what may have occurred]."

Mr. Carlson said a defense attorney "would have had a field day" with the accuser on the witness stand because of her level of intoxication and the varying statements she made.

But Mr. Freeman, a professor at Duquesne University, said oftentimes victims of rape are intoxicated because being in that condition makes them vulnerable to sexual assault.

"It's understood there's a history of people taking advantage of women who are intoxicated. It's a pattern people use to their advantage," said Mr. Freeman.

He added that even if it is believed she would have had trouble on the witness stand, that shouldn't deter charges because police arrest suspects in child molestation cases even though children often make bad witnesses at trial.

"I think it should have been up to a judge or jury to decide," he said.

Mr. Lindsay said other factors that may have affected Mr. Bright's decision were the lack of usable DNA to prove at least there was sexual contact between Mr. Roethlisberger and the woman, and the letter from the accuser's attorney saying she and her family did not want to prosecute. Also, he said, her credibility as a witness may have been hampered because at the nightclub she wore a provocative name tag and used a fake ID.

Mr. Carlson said he suspected the lack of DNA figured significantly in Mr. Bright's decision because of what is known as the "CSI effect," named for the procedural television show. That is the phenomena that causes juries to believe a suspect is innocent if there is no forensic evidence presented against him.

"The breakdown of the DNA seemed to me, as I watched his press conference, to be a decisive point, as well it might have been," Mr. Carlson said. "We're finding that criminal juries consider DNA to be the gold standard. We know from research and experience over that last decade more and more juries want to make sure there is DNA before they convict someone."

As for whether the case might have been prosecuted in Pennsylvania, "it would have depended upon the county in which it occurred." That's because, Mr. Lindsay explained, the district attorneys in the state vary widely in their approaches.

"Some of them, such as the good ones like in Armstrong County, have a very strong tradition of only prosecuting cases worthy of prosecution. They are concerned with justice," he said.

"Other counties that will go unnamed, if they had gotten this case would have gotten a lot of publicity and would have let the jury decide and would have brought the tremendous resources of the commonwealth against [Mr. Roethlisberger]."

But, he said, that wouldn't have been justice.

In fact, Mr. Lindsay said Mr. Bright had done the legal profession proud with his actions.

"I love lawyers who do what they are supposed to do. I think it's an honorable profession. When I listened to Bright talk with his measured speech, I thought 'This guy is the real deal.' "

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Legal experts praise DA in Georgia

I would have asked if they thought he behaved ethically - with his insinuations, calling the DTF chick "the victim", and doing his moral preacher bit ("I would tell Ben to 'grow up' "). Seems to me that's unethical posturing.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    I would have asked if they thought he behaved ethically - with his insinuations, calling the DTF chick "the victim", and doing his moral preacher bit ("I would tell Ben to 'grow up' "). Seems to me that's unethical posturing.
    It was grandstanding. Dude's an elected official.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    The D.A. said during the press conference that although he said "victim", that he really should be saying "The alleged victim" but for brevity's sake he's not going to say "Alleged victim" every time. So he did address that.

I know I'm not the most impartial of people on this topic, but I actually thought the D.A. did a really good job...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    The D.A. said during the press conference that although he said "victim", that he really should be saying "The alleged victim" but for brevity's sake he's not going to say "Alleged victim" every time. So he did address that.

I know I'm not the most impartial of people on this topic, but I actually thought the D.A. did a really good job...
    Accuser is only one more syllable than victim.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=stlrz d]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":3epovbj5

Accuser is only one more syllable than victim. [/quote:3epovbj5]

Well, I do feel so sorry for him, he works so hard, he really shouldn't be expected to use a long legal term just because he's the DA. Come on, cut the guy some slack!

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=SanAntonioSteelerFan]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":1309u9nm

Accuser is only one more syllable than victim.
    Well, I do feel so sorry for him, he works so hard, he really shouldn't be expected to use a long legal term just because he's the DA. Come on, cut the guy some slack! [/quote:1309u9nm]

Legend

User Info Menu

"lying bitch"

is also 1 syllable more then victim

Legend

User Info Menu

The guy didn't file charges and he is still seen as a bad guy?

I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    The guy didn't file charges and he is still seen as a bad guy?

I'll explain it to you: He tried as hard as he could to file charges. That's his job. He didn't file charges because he knew he would lose. That's also his job. It doesn't make him a good guy.

He's a "bad guy" because he went beyond his legal obligation, and did his best to hurt Ben by moralizing, editorializing, insinuating and the like. Who knows why, maybe trying to get contributions to his next election from rich parents of Milledgville University coeds.

Or were you just ing?