Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Lawyer says Ben case has been reported one sided

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Lawyer says Ben case has been reported one sided

...Barravechio did not recall the alleged victim. One girl stood out to him, a girl he described as wearing a grey sweater dress. According to Barravechio, she and Ben had been sitting at the corner of the bar and then went to take a seat in VIP....

am i reading this wrong, or is that saying that he doesn't remeber the victim, but does recall this other girl ...in gray seather dress

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

That guy has three different stories.

In this one he is claiming that he doesn't remember the victim but remembers another woman aged 25 that shot ben down in flames when he asked her to go home with him.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=SanAntonioSteelerFan]
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":3lnn8d5e
    Maybe Ben or someone on his side other than a cops lawyer should explain what went down then instead of holding a presser to say sorry, and by the way i will never answer any questions about details from that night. We only heard one side of the story because that is the only side that talked. Whose fault is that?

There wasn't even a real statement after the announcement that no charges would be filed from Ben's own lawyer. Shouldn't he chastise the DA down there for his statements? Calling the girl the victim in the same breath he is saying he isn't filing criminal charges and verbally berating Ben on that platform was uncalled for. Why no mention of the girls morals when she was in 3 different bars and had a .20 BAC? Ben is the sole reason she blew a .20 when she was in 3 different bars?
    Yeah these wonderful lawyers of Ben really never did much defending did they? He gets grilled and racked over the coals on television for a whole nation to watch and judge and not one lawyer comes back to defend Ben.
    His lawyer's job was to first avoid the trial and two, should it go to trial defend him. They succeeded by not having the case go to trial. What he needs to defend himself is a PR firm. Unfortunately, hew was allowed to give his lame 90 second statement before he could get professional handling. I have to assume that no professional PR firm would have let him address the world looking like he did or deliver the lame unrehearsed statement.

Pappy
    That whole thing was bizarre. I've read on these pages that Ben was working out, lifting etc., when he was "surprised to hear" there was a press conference he had to give ... now! That's why he was in a stupid Nike shirt and looked like he had ... uhhmm, just finished working out.

So, why was he surprised surprise? I can't remember, was it general knowledge that there was going to be a press conference that day at that time? Who called it, presumably the Steelers, so why wasn't Ben aware of it? Wouldn't they have a strong interest in its coming across well (like Ben in a suit, a well-written and well-presented statement, etc.).

Unless Ben was told ahead of time and completely ignored preparations, the whole thing seems kind of fishy. Could the F.O. have been thinking maybe the right thing to do was to blind side him and make him look bad? That seems so crazy ... what other explanations could there be?

Moral of the story - don't FUBAR, and you won't have to deal with these questions and problems...[/quote:3lnn8d5e]

I doubt this is the case, but could the Steelers possibly be saying, "..since you blind sided us with this nonsense, here's one for you" I doubt it, that woukld be petty beyond all belief and unproductive in the long run. More than anything about this whole fiasco,I'd love to know how that presser came to be and why Ben was unprepared.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[quote=papillon]
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":2siaz0kl
    Maybe Ben or someone on his side other than a cops lawyer should explain what went down then instead of holding a presser to say sorry, and by the way i will never answer any questions about details from that night. We only heard one side of the story because that is the only side that talked. Whose fault is that?

There wasn't even a real statement after the announcement that no charges would be filed from Ben's own lawyer. Shouldn't he chastise the DA down there for his statements? Calling the girl the victim in the same breath he is saying he isn't filing criminal charges and verbally berating Ben on that platform was uncalled for. Why no mention of the girls morals when she was in 3 different bars and had a .20 BAC? Ben is the sole reason she blew a .20 when she was in 3 different bars?
    Yeah these wonderful lawyers of Ben really never did much defending did they? He gets grilled and racked over the coals on television for a whole nation to watch and judge and not one lawyer comes back to defend Ben.
    His lawyer's job was to first avoid the trial and two, should it go to trial defend him. They succeeded by not having the case go to trial. What he needs to defend himself is a PR firm. Unfortunately, hew was allowed to give his lame 90 second statement before he could get professional handling. I have to assume that no professional PR firm would have let him address the world looking like he did or deliver the lame unrehearsed statement.

Pappy
    That whole thing was bizarre. I've read on these pages that Ben was working out, lifting etc., when he was "surprised to hear" there was a press conference he had to give ... now! That's why he was in a stupid Nike shirt and looked like he had ... uhhmm, just finished working out.

So, why was he surprised surprise? I can't remember, was it general knowledge that there was going to be a press conference that day at that time? Who called it, presumably the Steelers, so why wasn't Ben aware of it? Wouldn't they have a strong interest in its coming across well (like Ben in a suit, a well-written and well-presented statement, etc.).

Unless Ben was told ahead of time and completely ignored preparations, the whole thing seems kind of fishy. Could the F.O. have been thinking maybe the right thing to do was to blind side him and make him look bad? That seems so crazy ... what other explanations could there be?

Moral of the story - don't FUBAR, and you won't have to deal with these questions and problems...
    I doubt this is the case, but could the Steelers possibly be saying, "..since you blind sided us with this nonsense, here's one for you" I doubt it, that woukld be petty beyond all belief and unproductive in the long run. More than anything about this whole fiasco,I'd love to know how that presser came to be and why Ben was unprepared.

Pappy[/quote:2siaz0kl]

It was reported that he was at the facility working out. Since he knew he wasn't going to be charged, they were going to have his lawyer make a statement after the DA. But since the DA decided to get into gritty details and call out Ben, they had Ben make the statement. He didn't have a suit with him, just what he wore to the facility.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JAR

Pappy

Moral of the story - don't FUBAR, and you won't have to deal with these questions and problems...

Pappy
    It was reported that he was at the facility working out. Since he knew he wasn't going to be charged, they were going to have his lawyer make a statement after the DA. But since the DA decided to get into gritty details and call out Ben, they had Ben make the statement. He didn't have a suit with him, just what he wore to the facility.
    If that report is true, it will go down in public relations history as one of the worst damage control episodes ever - it will be taught in Public Relations/Damage Control 101 as the poster case for what not to do.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snarky
    People can't have it both ways - they're trying to say she was too drunk off her a$$ to consent, but at the same time they're saying her statements can be considered the epitome of reliability. There's a reason the DA didn't prosecute - she was an unreliable witness (remember he said that if he had a case he would have prosecuted regardless of whether the DTF chick and her family wanted him to or not - a crime would have been committed, and his duty would have been to prosecute).

If someone does insist on using her initial statment as a Rosetta stone to the truth, I'd point out, as I read it, her initial statement was,"NO" in direct response to Sgt. Blash's question "Did he rape you?". Puts a different spin on things, I believe.
    I've never said she was too drunk to give consent and personally I have some philosophical issues with "too drunk to consent laws"

I think all told the criminal case against Ben appears to have been very weak. Maybe we are thinking about different parts of the DAs presser but I remember him saying not that no crime had been committed but that he had to recognize when he had insufficient evidence to get a conviction and he the followed that up by saying that if he did have sufficient evidence he would pursue the case "vigorously".

And you are right, her answer was no. I read an article the other day (didn't save it) that said her answer was "No, I'm not sure" but the "I'm not sure" part was in relation the question of whether or not they had sex.

But I really don't put too much weight on that "No" for two reasons. First, some people consider rape to only described by a sexual assault accompanied by violence (as opposed to intimidation and/or false imprisonment). Second, she did make a claim to the same officer that she was sexually assaulted by Ben. So it seems that in her mind there was some distinction between sexual assault and rape.

Time to go out for some afternoon beers in the woods. Be back later.
    Good points, and of course it's a valid point of view. My view is that someone who is too drunk to know if they had sex probably can't contribute too much to helping figure out what happened. So basically it was the rest of the DTF posse that gave this thing life, and their statements that have kept it going in the media.

BTW - I wonder how come the cops/body guard statements haven't been released like the DTF posse statments?
    Yeah, I was wondering about that too. But it looks like the PG released more today. And I can see your point but if she is claiming she said no (and was willing to cooperate with a prosecution) then I think her credibility should ultimately be up to a jury. Unfortunately for somebody (either the accuser or Ben) she ran into this Sgt. Blash who behaved improperly while following up on her complaint.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJackGold
    That guy has three different stories.

In this one he is claiming that he doesn't remember the victim but remembers another woman aged 25 that shot ben down in flames when he asked her to go home with him.
    thats staright from the DA's notes from him being interviewed by the cops.

where are the 2 other stories? TMZ? florio?

Starter

User Info Menu

In one of Florio's newest one-sided posts about the Investigation Being Botched, there is a nice little gem that he doesn't mention:

"Mr. Parks said his client and her family were leery. They thought Milledgeville police had leaked information about the woman to the media."

Info about the victim leaked? Was this perhaps not the first drunken sexual spree and bathroom "encounter" for Miss DTF? Sounds like they didn't want the public know what the "poor daughter" was really like. If true, all of a sudden she happens to say no to THIS encounter?

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

The 'feeling' that the victim's identity had been leaked comes from members of the press calling her parent's home the next day.

Read the case files.....

Starter

User Info Menu

I did read it; that's where I got this. Once they know the identify, they can find out a lot about Miss DTF's lifestyle.