Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Leon Washington

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Question about Leon Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogie36
    I understand that but the tender was 2 million dollars....Hard to imagine a team spending that much money on someone who isnt effective. If we dont get a proven vet at the RB position we are TOAST!!!!!!!!

Look at the year we had STALEY, BETTIS and PARKER............All 3 of those guys were starters for at least 1 game that year. This year we have Mendenhall and Moore??? I mean lets get real here............We need a VETERAN RB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Doogie--you get it. While everyone is wringing their hands about getting DBs (who won't play in Year 1 in LeBeau's defense), the one position that will derail this season faster than anything is RB. Mendy is it. We have nothing behind him. Moore is not a viable #1 runner no matter what he did two years ago. Losing Mendy will scuttle this season in a heartbeat. All these mocks that have us getting RBs in rounds 4, 5, and 6 are just going to set us up to fail.

I'd give up a Round 4 pick for Washington in a heartbeat.
    You do remember the fact that Willie Parker was an UDFA right? RB is the easiest position on the field to fill. Taking a RB in the first round is not a priority.....Sorry.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Ryan Matthews...that could be interesting. I'm not big on Tate in the second. When he was being spoken of as a 5th I love him. In the second? Eh not so much. I would rather have Gerhart personally. And I agree about Blount...but I can't change my mock. I really like the guy.
    I think Tate has come up alot during the review process. Round 3 is probably about right for both him and Gerhardt. I would take either.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree with ovi about the need for a running back.
    I'd take Leon Washington in a heart beat...
    or L. Blount... or T. Gerhart...
    and have pouncey blocking for him (since thomas will be gone)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

While Washington would certainly bring something dynamic to the table, he is not a workhorse back if asked to be. However his home-run & kick-off return ability offer us something we don't have. The money he's asking for might also be problematic, but Madden-think aside I'd be okay with it.

Looking to the draft, I think there a number of options & I really like Gerhart but with the guys we do have & an established starter in Mendenhall, I just don't see bringing in RB until the 5th round where guys like Deji Karim (think Maurice Drew), Joique Bell or Charles Scott will be available. Keep an eye on Toney Baker & Dmitri Nance as UDFAs of interest.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogie36
    I understand that but the tender was 2 million dollars....Hard to imagine a team spending that much money on someone who isnt effective. If we dont get a proven vet at the RB position we are TOAST!!!!!!!!

Look at the year we had STALEY, BETTIS and PARKER............All 3 of those guys were starters for at least 1 game that year. This year we have Mendenhall and Moore??? I mean lets get real here............We need a VETERAN RB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Doogie--you get it. While everyone is wringing their hands about getting DBs (who won't play in Year 1 in LeBeau's defense), the one position that will derail this season faster than anything is RB. Mendy is it. We have nothing behind him. Moore is not a viable #1 runner no matter what he did two years ago. Losing Mendy will scuttle this season in a heartbeat. All these mocks that have us getting RBs in rounds 4, 5, and 6 are just going to set us up to fail.

I'd give up a Round 4 pick for Washington in a heartbeat.
    You do remember the fact that Willie Parker was an UDFA right? RB is the easiest position on the field to fill. Taking a RB in the first round is not a priority.....Sorry.
    B-I-N-G-O!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would love to have a guy like Leon Washington as well, but giving a fourth round pick for him? That would mean we sent Santonio for Washington and gave up a fourth for a fifth in the draft. Although, judging by the fact we were dumping him either way, I guess I would still take it.

Starter

User Info Menu

Surprised no one talks about Jahvid Best. He's a homerun threat everytime he touches the ball.
    "That's just Ben being Superman" -John Madden, Super Bowl XLIII

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WoodleyofTroy
    Surprised no one talks about Jahvid Best. He's a homerun threat everytime he touches the ball.
    Because #18 is too early for him, and #52 is too late for him.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodleyofTroy
    Because #18 is too early for him, and #52 is too late for him.
    But as with all Running backs (hardest position to predict because so many backs can be had late, with teams passing for another position) I've seen him in the middle of the 2nd to the late 3rd.

I can see Best being one of those guys left on the board after 2 rounds, that everyone talks about wanting on day 2 (the old day 2, where the 3rd round started).

LeSean McCoy was picked #53 overall. No one ever thought that would happen. And he was a better prospect than Best. He was projected to go in the 1st round, a lot more times than Best is, which is only a rare few.

But my point is, you got to at least talk about him. No one talked about Mendenhall because they didn't think he would be there.
    "That's just Ben being Superman" -John Madden, Super Bowl XLIII

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    I would love to have a guy like Leon Washington as well, but giving a fourth round pick for him? That would mean we sent Santonio for Washington and gave up a fourth for a fifth in the draft. Although, judging by the fact we were dumping him either way, I guess I would still take it.
    that would be a great trade off for us considering the steelers just wanted holmes out. i would trade a 4th for washington in a heart beat. even though he broke his leg last season he will still be just as productive as he has been in the past. he is also a good return man. one thing is for sure is we need a rb in rounds 1-3 if we are not trading for a vet like washington. i would love spiller in the first but that isnt happening. i hope we can get either blount or gerhart but i think i would perfer blount more. he has good size and speed