Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ward: "If I win three Super Bowls, I'm retiring"...

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: Ward: "If I win three Super Bowls, I'm retiring"...

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    I would love for Ward to retire (which means we won the SB again ) and stay on to coach the recievers. He has a lot to teach young recievers, starting with Mike Wallace. Remember, Ward was a QB in college, so he has gained a lot of knowlege over the years on how to succeed as a reciever in the NFL without just havign the pure abilities. Plus, he epitomizes what it is to be a Pittsburgh Steeler.
    They don't NEED another WR right now for this season. They could get by with Ward and Wallace as the starters, Randle El in the slot as your 3rd WR, and then Battle and Sweed battling it out for the 4th/5th slot. But they could certainly use another young WR to team up with Wallace in the future when Hines hangs 'em up. The reason that I think they are looking at guys like Bryant, Benn, Tate, etc. now (when we have more immediate needs elsewhere) is that a rookie WR can benefit from having time with Hines as a teammate. The more time a young wideout can spend with Hines, the more likely he develops into a Steeler-type WR.

Hall of Famer

Re: Ward: "If I win three Super Bowls, I'm retiring"...

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    I would love for Ward to retire (which means we won the SB again ) and stay on to coach the recievers. He has a lot to teach young recievers, starting with Mike Wallace. Remember, Ward was a QB in college, so he has gained a lot of knowlege over the years on how to succeed as a reciever in the NFL without just havign the pure abilities. Plus, he epitomizes what it is to be a Pittsburgh Steeler.
    Id say his statement increases the probability that he will retire after this season even if we dont win the SB. We currently have 2 young'uns (Wallace, Sweeeeed) but drafting another this WR next weekend would be smart to get him at least a year of 'Hines Time'.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.