Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ward: "If I win three Super Bowls, I'm retiring"...

Ward: "If I win three Super Bowls, I'm retiring"...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 76676.html

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said he is "discouraged" by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's off-the-field conduct and called some recent incidents "unfortunate" for the Steelers organization.

"I'm not really disappointed in anything," Ward said this afternoon. "I'm discouraged a little bit because the Pittsburgh Steelers come with a high level. Expectations are high. It's unfortunate that our organization has to be in the news like this."

Ward's comments came during a brief media interview session following a question and answer period with 40 student/athletes as part of a Gatorade promotion at North Hills High School.

Ward also indicated that, if the Steelers win the Super Bowl, he would retire after the season. During his 40-minute Q&A session with North Hills football players, the 13-year veteran said his career would be complete with another ring.

"If I win three Super Bowls, I'm retiring," Ward said. "I'm telling you that right now."

Ward said, if he had his way, troubled wide receiver Santonio Holmes would still be on the Steelers, but he supports any actions taken by the Rooney family and/or the NFL.

"It's an unfortunate incident and I would have loved for him to stay, but it's not my team," Ward said. "Who am I to question Mr. Rooney and the Pittsburgh Steelers? They have been doing this thing for a lot of years. They felt it was best for Santonio and best for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Whatever choices they make, they have our support."

Ward, the team's all-time leading receiver, is confident his teammates can fill the void created when Holmes was traded to the New York Jets for a fifth-round draft pick.

"It's unfortunate that Santonio is no longer with us," Ward said. "(But) Mike Wallace had a tremendous rookie year and now he's going to get more opportunities to become that guy. ...Yes, we're young. But, at the same time, that's my job as a leader. I've been in this game a long time and I've seen a lot of players come and go. I'm up for the challenge."

Ward, speaking publicly about Roethlisberger for the first time since Georgia officials decided not to pursue any charges in the alleged sexual assault last month of a 20-year-old college student, said the Steelers' expectations remain the same.

"One thing about us is that we're a close-knit family," he said. "We are going to rally behind each other and support each other. Whatever decision that Mr. Rooney or the league makes, we are going to abide by it and move on. It's not going to change the way we approach things. It's not going to change the expectation level. Our goal is still to win the Super Bowl."
    Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]

Re: Ward: "If I win three Super Bowls, I'm retiring"...

I love Hines Ward.

I hope he retires at the end of the next season with his 3 Super Bowl rings...

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    I love Hines Ward.

I hope he gets 3, changes his mind and decides to go for 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Hines Ward
    "I'm not really disappointed in anything," Ward said this afternoon. "I'm discouraged a little bit because the Pittsburgh Steelers come with a high level. Expectations are high. It's unfortunate that our organization has to be in the news like this."
    He probably felt like the Steelers were close enough to compete for the title again, but knows they need Ben and he also knows that Ben is going to miss some time and that's why he's discouraged and not disappointed. Just my opinion about his statement.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    I love Hines Ward.

I hope he gets 3, changes his mind and decides to go for 4.

better yet!

Legend

I think that Hines Ward is brilliant. He has just given all his teammates something to rally around and to deflect their attention from Big Dumb Ben.

He is laying the foundation for a rally cry of "Do it for Hines" versus "Can we do it without Ben"

Brilliant leadership.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Yeah, I agree. Hines must become the focal point of this season and like you all have said, giving the team a positive theme to rally around.

Joking around here, but when I read this statement below, all I could think of was Rafael Palmeiro wagging his finger at Congress about steroids then getting busted for it. Can you imagine if after saying this, he did something totally stupid? Why did this even pop into my head! Dammit.

"I'm discouraged a little bit because the Pittsburgh Steelers come with a high level. Expectations are high. It's unfortunate that our organization has to be in the news like this."
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I think that Hines Ward is brilliant. He has just given all his teammates something to rally around and to deflect their attention from Big Dumb Ben.

He is laying the foundation for a rally cry of "Do it for Hines" versus "Can we do it without Ben"

Brilliant leadership.

Good call.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

Hines Ward is Steelers Football. Always has been. He made Santonio a complete player.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

I would love for Ward to retire (which means we won the SB again ) and stay on to coach the recievers. He has a lot to teach young recievers, starting with Mike Wallace. Remember, Ward was a QB in college, so he has gained a lot of knowlege over the years on how to succeed as a reciever in the NFL without just havign the pure abilities. Plus, he epitomizes what it is to be a Pittsburgh Steeler.