Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unbalanced Media

Legend

User Info Menu

Unbalanced Media

Posted this in another thread but I feel it needs to stand on its own.

The media is only releasing details of one side here which is extremely unprofessional on their part but it is what is giving the story legs. Has any news sources quoted anyone in Ben's group or any of their statements? No because it isn't titalating enough.

Keep in mind that when you read this you are being quoted the statements of "sorority sisters." Living 1.5 miles from a major university and with a daughter of my own going to that university I promise you sorority sisters will lie, cheat and steal to protect each other in a heartbeat. I can tell you of "sisters" hiding evidence of drug and alcohol use from campus police. I can tell you stories of how the girls get stories straight against boys if something goes wrong on a date. If you don't think that they all got together to get their stories straight (primarily because they were all underage drinking) then you are naive. If you don't think they exaggerated elements of their stories to protect or support their "sister" you are naive.

Did something unsavory go on that night. Probably. Did Ben put himself in a terrible position? Absolutely. But don't think for a second that this wasn't two consenting adults making terrible decisions and there is plenty of fault on both sides.

You are just hearing one side because it implicates a stupid, immature star athlete but don't think for a second that little "Miss Georgia" doesn't have her fingerprints all over this incident.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Unbalanced Media

I agree that there is a media bias. The media loves a juicy story. The media also tends to side with the victim (at least first).

But, Ben has brought this on himself. He obviously made some horrendous decisions that night (especially considering the allegations that were already leveled toward him).

Furthermore, what do you want the media to report to balance things out? Ben and his attorneys have offered no other story. The media can't be expected to give Ben's side of the story, when he looks guilty and offers no story (other than the sexual contact followed by falling and head injury - even though the doctor found no head injury).
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yup.

They are sensationalizing this to the nth degree.

And I agree about the sorority girls sentiment.

Plus - they were probably all trashed too, so their memory would be fuzzy as well.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The entire media have turned into one big tabloid, dead set on ruining lives.

Legend

User Info Menu

But the NFL and the Rooney's are not making decisions based on one-sided media reports. They have their own investigators (ex FBI) that they use to investigate these types of incidents.

Goodell is not talking about a possible suspension because he's looking at TMZ.com in his office.

I don't doubt for one second the sorority girls got together to ensure they had the same story. As I said in another post - more holes than swiss cheese as well as a bunchof 20 year olds that had been drinking for many hours that night. No credibility.

Other than a "it's not true, I wouldn't force myself on a woman", Ben has not give much to report on. In the Reno case he vehemently denied it and said he wanted to go to court to prove his innocence. We've not see anything close to that here.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    But the NFL and the Rooney's are not making decisions based on one-sided media reports. They have their own investigators (ex FBI) that they use to investigate these types of incidents.

Goodell is not talking about a possible suspension because he's looking at TMZ.com in his office.

I don't doubt for one second the sorority girls got together to ensure they had the same story. As I said in another post - more holes than swiss cheese as well as a bunchof 20 year olds that had been drinking for many hours that night. No credibility.

Other than a "it's not true, I wouldn't force myself on a woman", Ben has not give much to report on. In the Reno case he vehemently denied it and said he wanted to go to court to prove his innocence. We've not see anything close to that here.

If they did that , even as a once-every-so-often habit, the Steelers would be cellar dwellers like the Lions. If they did that anything beyond once-every-so-often, the Steelers wouldn't even be an organization today.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

The media is only releasing details of one side here which is extremely unprofessional on their part but it is what is giving the story legs. Has any news sources quoted anyone in Ben's group or any of their statements? No because it isn't titalating enough.

Keep in mind that when you read this you are being quoted the statements of "sorority sisters." Living 1.5 miles from a major university and with a daughter of my own going to that university I promise you sorority sisters will lie, cheat and steal to protect each other in a heartbeat. I can tell you of "sisters" hiding evidence of drug and alcohol use from campus police. I can tell you stories of how the girls get stories straight against boys if something goes wrong on a date. If you don't think that they all got together to get their stories straight (primarily because they were all underage drinking) then you are naive. If you don't think they exaggerated elements of their stories to protect or support their "sister" you are naive.

Did something unsavory go on that night. Probably. Did Ben put himself in a terrible position? Absolutely. But don't think for a second that this wasn't two consenting adults making terrible decisions and there is plenty of fault on both sides.

You are just hearing one side because it implicates a stupid, immature star athlete but don't think for a second that little "Miss Georgia" doesn't have her fingerprints all over this incident.
    I think we're hearing one side because the other side's attorney is telling him to keep his mouth shut and let it go away on its own. If there were nothing to this story Ben would be vehemently denying the incident, he is not and, as such, is going to lose the PR battle. I'm sure his attorney has told him as much. He's simply going to have to weather the storm and begin to make better decisions. I don't know that he's capable of that.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost

The thing is, it's only the media saying suspension.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league would review the facts - in accordance with its personal-conduct code - and would follow up with Roethlisberger and the Steelers. He gave no time line.
    I'm sure Ben's side has given Goodell whatever evidence they have.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

Very well said. Reading the witness statements from the girls, it certainly appears that they all got together to get their stories straight before providing statements. I'm not sure if they had time to do this (were their statements taken the next day as well?), but it appears that way.

The media is sensationalizing this because scandal sells a lot better than reporting that there is no substance to an allegation.

I'm not excusing Ben's behavior at all, but the reporting has certainly been one sided.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I haven't watched ESPN, listened to ESPN radio, or any other media outlet since the prosecutor had his press conference. Besides the statements from Ben and Mr. Rooney, I also haven't read anything else on the matter. Tiger is probably going to send Ben a huge Thank You note for taking so much of the media away from him and his troubles and I wouldn't blame him. We can only hope that some other major athlete has a big screw up so the spotlight can shift from Ben. I think the more it gets over-analyzed by everyone, the more scenarios people come up with on what/how things happened. I've read some stuff on various Steeler message boards that's just flat out stupid. Both people are at fault in this mess, it's just to what degree that fault no one can agree on.