Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mel Kiper: Steelers' Rounds 1-4 picks

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Mel Kiper: Steelers' Rounds 1-4 picks

technically you're right. except there is a trickle down effect with losing smith and troy...
    Run D suffers since Aaron isn't there.
    now you HAVE to move the safety up....
    with troy that's not a big deal because he can get back faster than any safety in football...\
    with carter it means you're in trouble.
    now Ryan clark has more field to cover due to Carter not being able to get to his responsibility...
    now you have Gay one on one more.
    Ike does suffer.
    he looked really bad last year.
    but so did gay... and clark... and carter...
    I've said this a million times... in a 3-4 you have to have, not one but TWO defensive lineman who can control the line of scrimmage. the DE is one of the most important positions in all of football due to this trickle down effect.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Replace Pouncey with Iupati and this isn't bad.
    It depends who's on the board when they pick. if Mays, Thomas or Graham are on the board, then I don't like it. Most mocks or evaluators have Pouncey as a late 1st round pick. There's no need to reach the Steelers can use good football players at every position except quarterback and maybe tight end.

pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    technically you're right. except there is a trickle down effect with losing smith and troy...
    with troy that's not a big deal because he can get back faster than any safety in football...\
    now Ryan clark has more field to cover due to Carter not being able to get to his responsibility...
    Ike does suffer.
    I've said this a million times... in a 3-4 you have to have, not one but TWO defensive lineman who can control the line of scrimmage. the DE is one of the most important positions in all of football due to this trickle down effect.
    without smith the run d suffers big time. you are right the entire secondary did look bad last season which is why i want thomas or wilson!!

having carter in their instead of troy exposes ryan clark more than anyone else imo. i assume you are planning on drafting a cb in round 2 or 3 and taking pouncey in round 1 right? my concern is we dont replace willie gay and have a repeat performance of last season. our biggest need is in the secondary. it is true a great pass rush makes a average secondary better but why should we have to rely on the pass rush being there every single game? imo you need both

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Ike does suffer.
    without smith the run d suffers big time. you are right the entire secondary did look bad last season which is why i want thomas or wilson!!

having carter in their instead of troy exposes ryan clark more than anyone else imo. i assume you are planning on drafting a cb in round 2 or 3 and taking pouncey in round 1 right? my concern is we dont replace willie gay and have a repeat performance of last season. our biggest need is in the secondary. it is true a great pass rush makes a average secondary better but why should we have to rely on the pass rush being there every single game? imo you need both
    pap there are only two db's I take in the first round and neither will be there for us. Thomas is my dream pick. so, I take Pouncey in the first...
    if Nate Allen is there for us in the second I take him in a heart beat... I'd be back and forth on Cook, wouldn't hate it though that's for sure...
    IMO our needs start at safety, center, lber then DL... in that order.
    I agree with how Clark was exposed, but really... there aer only 2 or 3 safeties in all the NFL that wouldn't have been exposed if a guy like troy went down...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I just want Defense- I hear it wins championships!

Really, though I prefer a DB, I would take an LB or DL over anything on Offense.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    I just want Defense- I hear it wins championships!

Really, though I prefer a DB, I would take an LB or DL over anything on Offense.
    it does win championships but why don't wait to see if nearly the same defense that was one of the greatest EVER can do it again when it's healthy. meanwhile, our resident manwhore is being sacked 48,49,50 times a season. wouldn't it be nice not to see this:

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I honestly don't think hartwig is even that much of an upgrade over mahan...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The point is that Gay just isn't NFL starter material. Let's get someone who will be and will be dominant. The OL doesn't really concern me much. Now that we've lost our top receiver in YPC we may not be making as many long developing plays anyway.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    The point is that Gay just isn't NFL starter material. Let's get someone who will be and will be dominant. The OL doesn't really concern me much. Now that we've lost our top receiver in YPC we may not be making as many long developing plays anyway.
    so they're gonna scratch the playbook since tone is gone.
    even though HE wasn't the deep threat...
    and you think hartwig is a starter "material" even though he is consistently
    rated as one of the worst (if not the worst) center in the NFL.. in nearly every
    category.

Legend

User Info Menu

I honestly don't think hartwig is even that much of an upgrade over mahan...

now that's cold!
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha