Browns have spoken to Rams about top pick

The Browns want you to know they are open to all draft day possibilities at quarterback.

Speaking at his pre-draft press conference, G.M. Tom Heckert said the team has talked to the Rams about possibly trading up for Sam Bradford, according to Mark Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer.

"We're playing a little phone tag,'' said Heckert. "But we've talked to them.''

Before anyone gets carried away, the Browns said they've talked to every team in front of them. President Mike Holmgren cautioned the cost of moving up would likely be prohibitive. "In the real world, we're probably going to go in a different direction," Holmgren said.

One direction Cleveland could go, the team says, is Jimmy Clausen. Holmgren says not to read much into his previous statement that he wish he liked Clausen more.

"I would not read too much into that statement,'' said Holmgren. "Prior to the draft, I'll say any number of things for any number of reasons. When Jimmy came in, we talked about that little statement. I'm not going to tell you why [I said it]. I had my reasons and we'll leave it at that.''

So basically don't listen to anything decision makers say preceding the draft. Got it, thanks.