Thread: Browns have spoken to Rams about top pick

Browns have spoken to Rams about top pick

The Browns want you to know they are open to all draft day possibilities at quarterback.

Speaking at his pre-draft press conference, G.M. Tom Heckert said the team has talked to the Rams about possibly trading up for Sam Bradford, according to Mark Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer.

"We're playing a little phone tag,'' said Heckert. "But we've talked to them.''

Before anyone gets carried away, the Browns said they've talked to every team in front of them. President Mike Holmgren cautioned the cost of moving up would likely be prohibitive. "In the real world, we're probably going to go in a different direction," Holmgren said.

One direction Cleveland could go, the team says, is Jimmy Clausen. Holmgren says not to read much into his previous statement that he wish he liked Clausen more.

"I would not read too much into that statement,'' said Holmgren. "Prior to the draft, I'll say any number of things for any number of reasons. When Jimmy came in, we talked about that little statement. I'm not going to tell you why [I said it]. I had my reasons and we'll leave it at that.''

So basically don't listen to anything decision makers say preceding the draft. Got it, thanks.
    Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]

Hall of Famer

Re: Browns have spoken to Rams about top pick

Quote Originally Posted by PSU_dropout43

The Browns want you to know they are open to all draft day possibilities at quarterback.

Speaking at his pre-draft press conference, G.M. Tom Heckert said the team has talked to the Rams about possibly trading up for Sam Bradford, according to Mark Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer.

"We're playing a little phone tag,'' said Heckert. "But we've talked to them.''

Before anyone gets carried away, the Browns said they've talked to every team in front of them. President Mike Holmgren cautioned the cost of moving up would likely be prohibitive. "In the real world, we're probably going to go in a different direction," Holmgren said.

One direction Cleveland could go, the team says, is Jimmy Clausen. Holmgren says not to read much into his previous statement that he wish he liked Clausen more.

"I would not read too much into that statement,'' said Holmgren. "Prior to the draft, I'll say any number of things for any number of reasons. When Jimmy came in, we talked about that little statement. I'm not going to tell you why [I said it]. I had my reasons and we'll leave it at that.''

So basically don't listen to anything decision makers say preceding the draft. Got it, thanks.
    Holmgren is so smug. He is utterly unlikeable.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

As someone who has seen all Bradfords games I would not want him in our division for the next 10 years.....dude will be a STAR!!!!!!

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo
    As someone who has seen all Bradfords games I would not want him in our division for the next 10 years.....dude will be a STAR!!!!!!
    He looks like Jim Plunkett.

Pro Bowler

If they get the #1 from STL and spend it on Bradford then they are seriously stupid. Suh is a virtual lock to be one of the better DL instantly and very likely will be dominant for a long time. Bradford m-i-g-h-t turn out to be a legitimate franchise QB.

Remember Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Jamarcus Russell... you get the picture.

Pro Bowler

Rumor at this point but Adam Schein on Sirius NFL Blitz recently mentioned a trade has been made. I can't find a link. I got this from a Cleveland Browns message board I check out from time to time.