Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Art Rooney to hold PC at 230

Hall of Famer

Re: Art Rooney to hold PC at 230

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Gooddell waiting to announce the suspension until after the draft is completely bogus. The Steelers need to start planning for the season now. It is a big difference if ben is out for 1-2 or more than four. Gooddell knows what he wants to do. It needs to be done in the next couple of days.

I think Art is meeting with the media to

1. Express more concern and disappointment
    2. Announce that Ben is going nowhere

In effect, he won't say much of anything.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    the league's personal conduct policy specifically states that charges must be filed...
    It doesn't say that at all. In fact, quite the opposite.

Goodell strengthens NFL personal conduct policy
    Updated 4/11/2007

NEW YORK (AP) NFL teams will be disciplined when their employees, including players, violate the league's personal conduct policy.

Moments after announcing the one-year suspension of Tennessee Titans cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones, and an eight-game ban for Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chris Henry, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell released his strengthened conduct policy Tuesday. Along with longer suspensions and larger fines for individuals who violate the policy, Goodell will hold teams responsible, as well.

He did not say how he would punish those teams, although stripping them of draft choices is considered one of the most effective ways to do so.

"It is important that the NFL be represented consistently by outstanding people as well as great football players, coaches, and staff," Goodell said. "We hold ourselves to higher standards of responsible conduct because of what it means to be part of the National Football League. We have long had policies and programs designed to encourage responsible behavior, and this policy is a further step in ensuring that everyone who is part of the NFL meets that standard. We will continue to review the policy and modify it as warranted."

The strengthened standards apply to all NFL employees: players, coaches, officials, owners, front-office and league personnel. And Goodell emphasized in the new policy that those standards will be considerably tighter than outside the league.

"It is not enough to simply avoid being found guilty of a crime," the new policy says. "Instead, as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the league is based, and is lawful.

"Persons who fail to live up to this standard of conduct are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime."

The new policy comes in the wake of a series of off-field issues involving several players, notably Jones, Henry and Chicago Bears defensive tackle Tank Johnson.

There were 10 occasions in which Jones was interviewed by police, the most recent during the NBA All-Star weekend in Las Vegas. Police there recommended felony and misdemeanor charges against Jones after a fight and shooting at a strip club left one man paralyzed.

Henry was arrested four times in a 14-month span, and received a two-game league suspension last year. He was one of nine Bengals arrested in nine months. Johnson currently is in jail, serving four months for violating probation in a 2005 gun case.

Two of Henry's teammates, along with NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw, recognized the need for stronger league guidelines for player conduct.

"You would think it's necessary just because of the negative publicity the NFL is beginning to receive because of what's happening," said Bengals receiver T. J. Houshmandzadeh. "It was going on for an extended period of time. Each day, each week, something was happening."

Added Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer: "I think it will (help). With all of the things that have been happening recently, I think it will be good and hopefully give the league a little better image. I hope that it works and that guys abide by the rules and do what's right."

So does Upshaw, of course. He consulted with Goodell before the commissioner, now in his seventh month on the job, revised the conduct policy. Goodell also established a panel of players to offer advice on such matters.

"The NFL Players Association and the Player Advisory Council have been discussing this issue for several months," Upshaw said. "We believe that these are steps that the commissioner needs to take and we support the policy. It is important that players in violation of the policy will have the opportunity and the support to change their conduct and earn their way back."

Tony Dungy said placing responsibility on the teams for their players and employees makes sense, even if it results in penalties that affect more than the wallet.

"That seems to be the thing that gets everyone's attention," the coach of the Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts said of potentially lost draft picks and player availability. "We talked about fines at the league meetings, and that may not do the trick. But when you start talking about playing time and draft picks, that seems to get your attention."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...t-policy_N.htm

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Gooddell waiting to announce the suspension until after the draft is completely bogus. The Steelers need to start planning for the season now. It is a big difference if ben is out for 1-2 or more than four. Gooddell knows what he wants to do. It needs to be done in the next couple of days.

I'm sure Art is meeting with the media to

1. Express concern and disappointment
    2. Announce that Ben is going nowhere
    If the league doesn't suspend Ben, I suspect that the team will anyway, so it really doesn't make a difference whether or not Goodell makes his decision until after the draft, since the Rooneys should know what their own decision regarding Ben will be already (I don't expect them to announce it at the press conference today, though).

Legend

I'd like to have the league give him 2 and then the Rooney's add 1 more. That would be about right in my mind.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Schefter doesn't think that the press conference today will deal with a suspension. Not saying whether or not there will be a suspension, just that it won't be addressed today.

1 game suspension.

And Ben can serve it after a concussion.
    Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]

Hall of Famer

I would rather have the Rooney's suspend him. League suspension removes him from the facility from the Monday before week one regular season until the Monday following his supension. If Rooney suspends him, he could make him participate fully. Practice as the #3 QB. Make him be on the sideline gamedays in street clothes. Rooney would have to pay him and I don't believe the union would have any grounds for appeal unless Ben himself files a grievance. I could only speculate Ben wouldn't object...Might not be in his best interest to make waves.

Legend

I think it would be smart to beat Goodell to the punch with a 2 game suspension.

I think Goodell would be OK with it. Too many teams try to skirt the suspension and Goodell swoops in and lays down the law.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    I think it would be smart to beat Goodell to the punch with a 2 game suspension.

I think Goodell would be OK with it. Too many teams try to skirt the suspension and Goodell swoops in and lays down the law.
    I think maybe the team and the league could get a little creative with this. Team suspends him for 2 maybe 3 games. Ben is still responsible for coming to work. Goddell fines him. I'd be happy with that.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

PFT Reports.

Mor: Rooney won't announce discipline of Roethlisberger
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 15, 2010 2:09 PM ET
    In less than 30 minutes (unless he's on Tannenbaum time), Steelers president Art Rooney will meet the media to provide an update regarding the status of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Rooney will not announce punishment of Roethlisberger at that time.

So what will Rooney say? It's presently unclear, but if they don't plan to trade Roethlisberger, Rooney needs to make that point, loudly and clearly.

In Pittsburgh, the media has been talking incessantly about a possible trade. Apparently, the Steelers have said nothing privately to any of them indicating that Ben isn't available. One high-level source with another team agrees that the lack of any effort by the Steelers to address the matter via off-the-record communications to the press represents either a genuine interest by the Steelers to move Roethlisberger -- or complete mismanagement of the situation.

"You've got to nip that talk in the bud," the source said, if the Steelers don't plan to trade their two-time Super Bowl winner.
    Report: Steelers would "listen intently" to Roethlisberger offers
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 15, 2010 1:41 PM ET
    The Ben Roethlisberger trade rumors thus far have been bogus. That doesn't mean the Steelers aren't open to dealing their quarterback.

Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that the Steelers had have "significant internal discussions" about possibly dealing Roethlisberger. They haven't spoken to any teams, but La Canfora's source says the team "would listen intently" if other teams called.

The Steelers reportedly think Sam Bradford is a "sure thing" but figure the Rams would have "limited interest" in Roethlisberger. The team is also "skeptical" other teams would take on Roethlisberger considering his baggage.

We're not so sure about that; Brandon Marshall just got $50 million.

If this report is accurate, there are plenty of teams that should have significant interest in Roethlisberger. But the Steelers won't just dump him. They apparently want someone else to make the first move.

"This is not a case of having to get rid of this guy," La Canfora's source said. "There would have to be fair value."

Maybe this leak is just aimed at getting Roethlisberger to realize he's not bigger than the team, but we doubt it. The next week is going to be really interesting. Heck, this afternoon should be fascinating.

Your move, Art Rooney.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Draft 2.0

1. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    2. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    3. Kareem Martin, DE, UNC
    4. Donte Moncrief, WR, Mississippi
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    5b. Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami
    6a. Kevin Pierre-Louis, OLB, Boston College
    6b. Glen Stanley, OLB, Albany St