Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hmmm...interesting reading...

Hall of Famer

Re: Hmmm...interesting reading...

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    No, I'm thinking it's really not worth contemplating at all.
    I can't wait for the season to start so people will kindly STFU with all this trade Ben BS.

Also I would be really pissed if Roger or Steelers suspend Big Ben for even 1 game. Make Big Ben do community service or some charity work.
    Steelers Draft
    Rd 1: Mike Evans - WR
    Rd 2: Kyle Van Noy - ILB/OLB
    Rd 3c: Philip Gaines - CB
    Rd 4: Taylor Hart - DE
    Rd 5: Justin Ellis - DT
    Rd 5c:Xavier Grimble -TE

Hall of Famer

At best, Ben is a jerk. But that jerk gives the Steelers their only chance to win a Super Bowl in the next two years.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

If I were the front office, I'd be thinking like this:

1) Ben's trade value will be very very low if another episode like this occurs.
    2) If Ben does everything he can to avoid these situations, it's pretty good odds that we as an organization won't have to go through this again. But if he doesn't "get" it, it seems almost inevitable that it will happen again.
    2) So - let's make a best estimate of how likely it is that another episode will occur - interview him, talk to him, see if he "gets" it.
    3) If he's so stubborn or stupid that we think he's likely to continue acting in ways that make a repeat episode, or three or four, more likely - trade him now while we can get something for him.
    3) Otherwise - let's play football!

I trust the Rooney's to make the right decision.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    No, I'm thinking it's really not worth contemplating at all.
    I can't wait for the season to start so people will kindly STFU with all this trade Ben BS.
    If the regular season starts and Ben is still with us it doesn't prove anything one way or the other about the merits of possibly trading Ben. If the right offer is made, he should be dealt. If no trade is effected, it could very well be a case of a huge strain created because his talent level is so high, but his perceived off-field problems are also very high, so the Rooneys simply cannot get an offer commensurate with his playing potential. It would be nice if people would learn to think an issue through before ramming a "STFU" in people's faces.

Your post shows exactly what you are all about ... getting a thrill out of ramming it in people's faces.

Legend

Let's trade Troy while his value is high. He had rest all last season so he'll be back and ready to go.

I say we should do it...who's with me?

Legend

Ben short clearly be on a short leash with the franchise and be given a chance to redeem himself. Heck Tiger Woods was guilty of his trangressions and he is being embraced by the fans again. Ben has just been accused and has created a negative perception.

I also think we all need to remember that it took us 25 years to replace Bradshaw with a franchise QB. I would rather give Ben a chance to change his life around and prove he deserves our respect than just throw him out the door and wait another 25 years. I'm not that young anymore
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

If a trade happens now, I think the only reason will be that the current CBA gives the Steelers a unique opportunity. Personally, I don't think we should trade (unless we get an offer we can't refuse).

But, if they arn't confident Ben can avoid future problems:

1) His trade value may never be higher. And with a deep draft even if we can get a team to throw in an extra 3rd or so, it may make a difference. Another accusation, especially if it comes with charges or a conviction, makes his value less than Holmes'.

2) They can get away from the massive amount of $$ they still owe him. Limiting risk is usually a good idea.

And the only reason a trade is possible now,

3) There would be NO SALARY CAP PENALTY. There is no way a deal happens in any other off season. The cap penalty would be gigantic and cripple the team. Now, if they make a deal they would help the team by adding additional excellent young players, and it wouldn't affect how they pay everyone else on the team. If they think that they might make a deal NOW is the only time (in the next 4 years or so) they can do it if they believe that the salary cap will exist in a future CBA.

Let's trade Troy while his value is high. He had rest all last season so he'll be back and ready to go.

Troy loses playing time due to injury. That's not something he can control. Thus, we can't make any assumptions on how much he will or won't play in the future.

There is little upside for trading him -- we don't know when his performance will really decline.

Ben, on the other hand, is looking to lose playing time due to his actions. He needs to get in control of that.

And if he gives the team the same "I'll do better" speech they heard after he stopped a Chrysler with his face... the same speech he gave after the FIRST accusation of sexual assault, management may start to believe that he isn't going to "change his ways" and that trouble is soon to follow.

That means there is far more upside for trading Ben while he still has some trade value.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LouSteel

Troy loses playing time due to injury. That's not something he can control. Thus, we can't make any assumptions on how much he will or won't play in the future.

There is little upside for trading him -- we don't know when his performance will really decline.

Ben, on the other hand, is looking to lose playing time due to his actions. He needs to get in control of that.

And if he gives the team the same "I'll do better" speech they heard after he stopped a Chrysler with his face... the same speech he gave after the FIRST accusation of sexual assault, management may start to believe that he isn't going to "change his ways" and that trouble is soon to follow.

That means there is far more upside for trading Ben while he still has some trade value.
    If Ben had Troy's morals we would not be dealing with this crap. Maybe ben should be hanging out with Troy versus Willie Colon and the OL.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

I'd keep Troy. The probability of his football career ending because he gets sent to jail in the middle of a record contract is pretty low. I also woudn't have a problem explaining why I'm chearing for 43 to my daughter.

(For the record, I'm for keeping Ben too. But if someone offered us 2 1st rounders for Troy, I would consider it?)