Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will potential Ben Suspension effect the draft?

Legend

User Info Menu

Will potential Ben Suspension effect the draft?

Will the possibility that Ben is going to be on the bench for 2-4 games effect priorities going into the draft?

Has getting another RB just become more of a priority to take pressure off of Dixon and the passing game? Are we looking for one as early as Round 1 or 2?

Does getting OL become more of a prioroity to help the running game and keep Dixon on his feet?

Or do we strengthen the defense to carry us for those games that Ben is on his butt?

Thoughts?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Will potential Ben Suspension effect the draft?

They do what they always do.........BPA
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers ran the ball well vs Baltimore with Dixon behind center.

I don't think they need to make changes because of Dixon.

Just BPA.

Thomas seems like the right guy.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think it depends on the F.O. assessment/prediction of how successful Ben will be in staying out of trouble in the future.

If they think he'll get it right from here on in - draft as usual.

If not, they will consider drafting Ben's replacement, if a decent QB is available. Unless they see Dixon as our long term QB if Ben goes.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

yes and no.

the team was committed to improving the run game before. we may be even more so now. no one will worry about offending ben by running more even when he is back.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Backup

User Info Menu

Even with Batch signing an extension, I thought they'd draft a QB in the later rounds anyway. But I do not think they would change their plans because of Ben's recent activities, however.

On the other hand, the Holmes trade will bring us a new WR, which I thought we would not draft at all this year. Randle El and Battle are 30+ (if i remember correctly) and we all know the Sweed issue.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Most likely scenario is still BPA in the first round.

I was thinking this the other day, what direction are we heading towards, a more running/defense ala "2005", just how the Rooneys want, or keeping up with the times of more passing?

I am not sure with Ben's looming suspension and with SA departure we are the same dynamic offense. I believe that Wallace could fill the role admirably, with more dedication in running better routes, but who is going to take Wallace's place of extending the field in a 3/4 wr set?
    Do we draft the 3rd WR and groom for Hines spot in the future? Or is Sweed going to have a break out year. Remember last year in training camp Wallace and Sweed were tied in competition for the 3rd WR.

With Ben out teams are definitely going to load the box. The question now is... is Mendy, Dixon and with our current OL, capable of beating a stacked-blitz-heavy box? Tell you the truth, I don't have in the OL to open the holes and keep Dixon from taking a beating.
    Do we draft heavy in running game...OL, FB/RB?

Could our Defense carry the team as in previous years? With last year's defense, no way. But with the return of a health Troy, I assume we will be the once dominate defense we know. Troy just makes everyone better...ask Gay in 2008. Along with Foote's signing, we do have now more depth in the front 7. Don't forget Hood and last years DB to be in the mix.

Do we draft defense and strengthen our weaknesses. ( Evaluating each players performance with out Troy presence.)

Can't wait for draft day and see which way we are heading.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If they are going to rely on the running game to carry them, our problem lies in OL talent. Sure, our depth is thin at RB, but the talent is there. The OL is the issue. I don't have any faith in our ability to run the ball if teams know that we can't throw it effectively. But I do not feel that a suspension of Ben changes our draft strategy at all.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Will the possibility that Ben is going to be on the bench for 2-4 games effect priorities going into the draft?

Has getting another RB just become more of a priority to take pressure off of Dixon and the passing game? Are we looking for one as early as Round 1 or 2?

Does getting OL become more of a prioroity to help the running game and keep Dixon on his feet?

Or do we strengthen the defense to carry us for those games that Ben is on his butt?

Thoughts?
    I do believe the questions surrounding Ben will result in a heavy OL draft. I believe now more than ever the Steelers will look to return to the run game and physical attitude, and that doesn't start with CJ Spiller, that starts with Pouncey or Iupati. Also they must strengthen their pass protection, in the event they need to bring in a new QB who can't scramble and throw on the run like Ben.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    If they are going to rely on the running game to carry them, our problem lies in OL talent. Sure, our depth is thin at RB, but the talent is there. The OL is the issue. I don't have any faith in our ability to run the ball if teams know that we can't throw it effectively. But I do not feel that a suspension of Ben changes our draft strategy at all.
    What the heck are you looking at in RB talent? We have nothing past Mendy. We are one injury away from throwing the ball 40+ times per game.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"