Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could the Steelers Make the Playoffs With Dennis Dixon?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Could the Steelers Make the Playoffs With Dennis Dixon?

Let's remember that Ben went undefeated for like 15 games his rookie season. Early in that season, he was throwing only 10-12 passes a game. Maybe up to 15 late in the season.
    Our defense and running game carried us.

Dixon is no rookie, but he's not far above one since he hasn't played many meaningful games. I think they could loosen up the play calling after 4-5 games. But do I think the defense and running game could carry the difference to get us to the playoff?
    It would be close. Comparing those supporting casts to these is interesting.
    The defense dropped off last year, but I expect it to be back up this year. Mendenhall should be a big step up this year too. I think we could have a similar run, but again, no championship.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    We made the playoffs with Bubby Brister & Kordell Stewart. We can do it with Dixon too. But I don't know why we are talking about it, Ben will be playing a majority if not all of the season anyway, unless he gets injured.

PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS??

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    I think the Steelers can make the playoffs with Dixon playing QB.
    One thing that stood out was the amount of sacks Dixon took in the bmore game. I think it was zero.

I still think Ben takes sacks he could avoid because he has a "get it back the next play" mentality and doesn't mind a 3rd and long.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    Let's remember that Ben went undefeated for like 15 games his rookie season. Early in that season, he was throwing only 10-12 passes a game. Maybe up to 15 late in the season.
    Our defense and running game carried us.

Dixon is no rookie, but he's not far above one since he hasn't played many meaningful games. I think they could loosen up the play calling after 4-5 games. But do I think the defense and running game could carry the difference to get us to the playoff?
    It would be close. Comparing those supporting casts to these is interesting.
    The defense dropped off last year, but I expect it to be back up this year. Mendenhall should be a big step up this year too. I think we could have a similar run, but again, no championship.
    Ben was making the most of those 10 to 15 passes though... he was breaking the pocket and moving the chains. Dixon could make the playoffs but I think we would see a similar ending like we did with Kordell once there.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Why do people always feel we have some hidden talent on the bench that is always ready to be unleashed ?
    Bens a number one pick for the obvious football reasons and results. Dixon is and only will be what he is now, a guy that is more athlete than QB. His talents are running and not throwing and for him to step in and take this team to a playoff game is just over the top. The defense or running game might fill the order but to rely on Dixon, don't count on it.

If our team is hitting on all cylinders I can see us making it to the playoffs with Dixon but, when it comes down to the quarterbacks taking over the game or leading the team Dixon just won't have it.

No Ben, no Super Bowl.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The answer is NO. Not in this division with Cincy and Baltimore on the rise. He might have some good games until the D-coordinators get some film on him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    Why do people always feel we have some hidden talent on the bench that is always ready to be unleashed ?
    Bens a number one pick for the obvious football reasons and results. Dixon is and only will be what he is now, a guy that is more athlete than QB. His talents are running and not throwing and for him to step in and take this team to a playoff game is just over the top. The defense or running game might fill the order but to rely on Dixon, don't count on it.

If our team is hitting on all cylinders I can see us making it to the playoffs with Dixon but, when it comes down to the quarterbacks taking over the game or leading the team Dixon just won't have it.

No Ben, no Super Bowl.

Exactly. We were competitive, made it to the cusp several times with that list of "other" QB's, but it took a player of Ben's caliber to win us 2 more Super Bowls. Ben will NOT be traded unless the Rooney's are dead set on it and they are offered a king's ransom in return.

Legend

User Info Menu

so now that the Steelers have re-acquired Byron Leftwich, who starts on Opening Day?

Dixon or Leftwich?

per Adam_Schefter

Filed to ESPN: Pittsburgh just traded a seventh-round pick for former Buccaneers QB Byron Leftwich.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    FYI , Ben averaged 22 pass attempts per game his rookie year. His first 6 games were all over 20 pass attempts and only had 5 games under 20 attempts as a whole.

Legend

User Info Menu

Leftwich could have a chance to start

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 21, 2010

In Byron Leftwch, the Steelers acquired a veteran quarterback that can hit the ground running. He knows the team's system, he knows the locker room.

They also got an option to open the season as a starter. Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette writes that the Week One starter is likely to be Leftwich or Dixon, not 35-year-old Charlie Batch.

"I have no clue right now," Dixon said Tuesday when asked about possibly starting.

We suspect the Steelers will give Dixon every chance to develop and earn the gig, but Leftwich gives the team a strong option if Dixon struggles.

"I'm happy to be back," Leftwich said Tuesday. "I have a big ol' smile on my face."

We're expected to find out Wednesday how long the Steelers will need a starting quarterback to replace Ben Roethlisberger.

[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/21/leftwich-could-have-a-chance-to-start/"]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -to-start/[/url]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha