Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could the Steelers Make the Playoffs With Dennis Dixon?

Legend

User Info Menu

Could the Steelers Make the Playoffs With Dennis Dixon?

Could the Pittsburgh Steelers Make the Playoffs With Dennis Dixon?

“Do you think that if Ben Roethlisberger gets a suspension from the NFL Dennis Dixon will be able to step in and keep the team in playoff contention?”

Let me preface this by saying that I don’t believe that Roethlisberger is going to receive a suspension from the NFL as no charges have yet been filed and even if they are it’s highly doubtful that they are substantiated. The only thing the quarterback is guilty of, in my eyes, is putting himself in questionable situations.

But, onto the question.

I won’t lie, no one wants to see Dennis Dixon in the game. And that’s not to discredit Dixon, he’s a phenomenal athlete. But he simply can’t put up the numbers on a consistent basis like Roethlisberger. If he has to start more than two or three games, this team is more than likely packing it in and playing for next season.

As Steelers fans, we’ve really only had one glimpse at Dixon, that of course was the game against the Baltimore Ravens where he not only threw a touchdown but also ran for one before throwing the game-ending interception in overtime.

Though, to be completely fair to Dixon, I chalk that up to the coaching staff not utilizing his abilities to the put him in the best position possible.

So, I suppose that, depending on the amount of games that Dixon is asked to win, he could possibly get us in, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

If the team puts him behind center in, let’s say, games one to four, then I don’t see them getting off to the start the fans want. Because like it or not, Roethlisberger is going to get the majority of the snaps in training camp and offseason drills.

If, however, he’s asked to come in for the last few games, I’d hope that we were well in the playoff hunt and it wouldn’t hurt the position to get him some snaps. When his abilities are used right he can be a game-changing player.

If it were up to me, we’d use him in a Joshua Cribbs type role with the offense—put both him and Roethlisberger on the field and let them make plays. Or if it’s just Dixon in the game, then play him the way he’s used to.

That means playing him in a spread offense, like the one he played in at Oregon. Let him use his speed and agility to win the battle. Don’t force him to throw it deep every chance that he has, let him get comfortable with the short patterns and, most importantly, get him out of the pocket. Let’s see what he’s really got when the game's on the line.

So Steve, if Roethlisberger is suspended for any substantial amount of time, no I don’t foresee Dixon being able to lead the Steelers to the promised land. If he comes in and plays for an injured Roethlisberger, then yes. I think he can get it done in that sort of situation.

[url="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/376724-sj-mailbag-could-the-pittsburgh-steelers-make-the-playoffs-with-dixon"]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3767 ... with-dixon[/url]

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Could the Steelers Make the Playoffs With Dennis Dixon?

I couldn't agree more with this article. First, if Dixon is in we must spread the D not only for Dixon's familiarity but to give him running lanes. You must roll him out and let him use his legs. But I will disagree with the thought that if he starts 4 games for us we are hosed. I think he can win games. I think he could easily go 2-2 and keep us in an ok position.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Key with Dixon is you can't allow him to take the physical punishment that Ben does. No way he would last if he did. Ben has 30lbs more "meat" on him than Dixon does. One thing I think that we would see with Dixon is a QB who makes quick reads and gets rid of the ball quickly. That would be a nice change.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the Steelers can make the playoffs with Dixon playing QB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Key with Dixon is you can't allow him to take the physical punishment that Ben does. No way he would last if he did. Ben has 30lbs more "meat" on him than Dixon does. One thing I think that we would see with Dixon is a QB who makes quick reads and gets rid of the ball quickly. That would be a nice change.
    I'd say Ben is 50 lbs heavier. But, I totally agree. We need to spread things out a bit too and allow Dixon to get in space and make a few (5-10) run/pass reads per game.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    I think the Steelers can make the playoffs with Dixon playing QB.
    I do too as long as we aren't asking him to throw the ball 30 times a game. Will need to rely on the run game to do more.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I'd say Ben is 50 lbs heavier. But, I totally agree. We need to spread things out a bit too and allow Dixon to get in space and make a few (5-10) run/pass reads per game.
    Precisely. 30 pounds more meat. 20 pounds more fat.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Is it just me or didn't Dixon go into Baltimore cold and get us a 4thQ lead on the road with a Troy-less defense and d*mn near win the game if not for a 3rd and 20 defensive brain-fart that gave up 18 yards, giving the Ravens a manageable 4th down?

Give him more reps and with the average opponent being weaker than Baltimore, he could take us to 10-6 with a decent chance of making the playoffs. It's winning the SB that's the problem.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No !

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    Is it just me or didn't Dixon go into Baltimore cold and get us a 4thQ lead on the road with a Troy-less defense and d*mn near win the game if not for a 3rd and 20 defensive brain-fart that gave up 18 yards, giving the Ravens a manageable 4th down?

Give him more reps and with the average opponent being weaker than Baltimore, he could take us to 10-6 with a decent chance of making the playoffs. It's winning the SB that's the problem.
    Yes, very true, but how many passes did he throw during that game? 8-10 going off memory. No chance in hell do we make the playoffs with Dennis Dixon as QB right now.