Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could the Steelers Make the Playoffs With Dennis Dixon?

Pro Bowler

Re: Could the Steelers Make the Playoffs With Dennis Dixon?

also, one thing that everyone seems to forget, yea he played OK in that game at batiwhore, but we and the rats found out ben was not going to play on saturday, so they gameplaned all week thinking ben was playing then found out dixon was playing on saturday, minimal gameplan and tape and that is why we almost won...

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    Is it just me or didn't Dixon go into Baltimore cold and get us a 4thQ lead on the road with a Troy-less defense and d*mn near win the game if not for a 3rd and 20 defensive brain-fart that gave up 18 yards, giving the Ravens a manageable 4th down?

Give him more reps and with the average opponent being weaker than Baltimore, he could take us to 10-6 with a decent chance of making the playoffs. It's winning the SB that's the problem.
    Yes, very true, but how many passes did he throw during that game? 8-10 going off memory. No chance in hell do we make the playoffs with Dennis Dixon as QB right now.
    My point is that with virtually zero game reps and no Troy on D, Dixon put us in a better than 50-50 position to win a game on the road against a better than average team. It's not much of a stretch to say that with more experience and against average teams (by this mean the opponents' collective records, because on average, you play average teams unless you are the 08 Steelers) we can do better than 50-50 (8-8 record). 10-6 is not that far off from 8-8 and will put you into the playoffs in most years.

The 8-10 passes argument actually works FOR Dixon.

1. It was done with knowledge that this would only be for one game and that we were super thin at QB FOR THAT GAME (i.e. not typical).

2. With all that predictability he still nearly won.

Pro Bowler

If Ben, Joe Flacco & Matt Ryan can take their teams to the playoffs as rookies then Dixon certainly can with some familiarity of both the offense & personnel. He's got the tools, all he needs is experience...
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    If Ben, Joe Flacco & Matt Ryan can take their teams to the playoffs as rookies then Dixon certainly can with some familiarity of both the offense & personnel. He's got the tools, all he needs is experience...

Agreed, 100%!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    Is it just me or didn't Dixon go into Baltimore cold and get us a 4thQ lead on the road with a Troy-less defense and d*mn near win the game if not for a 3rd and 20 defensive brain-fart that gave up 18 yards, giving the Ravens a manageable 4th down?

Give him more reps and with the average opponent being weaker than Baltimore, he could take us to 10-6 with a decent chance of making the playoffs. It's winning the SB that's the problem.
    Yes, very true, but how many passes did he throw during that game? 8-10 going off memory. No chance in hell do we make the playoffs with Dennis Dixon as QB right now.
    Dixon was 12 for 26 in that game against Baltimore for 145 yards with 1 TD pass and 1 interception. He also ran the ball 3 times for 27 yards and 1 rushing TD.

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Key with Dixon is you can't allow him to take the physical punishment that Ben does. No way he would last if he did. Ben has 30lbs more "meat" on him than Dixon does. One thing I think that we would see with Dixon is a QB who makes quick reads and gets rid of the ball quickly. That would be a nice change.
    I just made this exact point on another board.

I'm a big Dixon fan- but he'd get smooshed if he took the beating Ben takes.

Fortunately, he'd probably get rid of the ball, more quickly than BR- and he is definitely faster.

All the same- I'd want a better interior line- if I were to put all my marbles on Dixon taking the team to the playoffs.

Pro Bowler

We made the playoffs with Bubby Brister & Kordell Stewart. We can do it with Dixon too. But I don't know why we are talking about it, Ben will be playing a majority if not all of the season anyway, unless he gets injured.

Hall of Famer

if we improve the running game i dont see why dixon couldnt lead the steelers to the playoffs. dixon has a pretty quick release so he wouldnt take the beating ben does. i was really impressed with dixon's arm strength. does anyone else remember dixon being a lot more mobile and faster at Oregon? im sure a lot of it is due to his knee injury his senior year but he doesnt seem half as fast as he use to be, but he is still more athletic than the majority of qb's in the nfl

If the Pittsburgh Steelers return to the dominant defense in the NFL.............I think......Yes they could.

I also think Tim Tebow would give this team a greater chance of that. Under the same circumstances. Dominant defense..return to a power house running game..add a little wild cat...

Steelers 2014 Draft

1--Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
    2--Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-- -- Traded --
    3B--C.J. Fiedorwicz TE Iowa
    4--Jordan Tripp ILB Montana
    5--Brent Urban DE Virginia
    6--Michael Schofield OT Michigan
    7--Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    and what did those 3 have in common? An excellent running game. If our line shows significant improvement then Dixon can certainly lead us into the playoffs. Much like Brister, O'Donnel, Stewart, and Maddox we won't go any further with Dixon. I would have to see a lot more Dixon playing against NFL competition to tell whether he could get us back to the big dance.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>