Thread: Marvel Smith on Sirius NFL radio

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Marvel Smith on Sirius NFL radio

Just on my way home from soccer practice and Marvel was talking to the hosts (sorry, didn't get their names). they were getting his opinion on the whole Ben saga and he made an interesting point. He was asked if Mr. Rooney ever addressed the team about things like this or how to act off the field. He said Mr. Rooney would address the team at training camp, but it was never about anything like this because it was an unwritten rule how to act.

He also said that Coach Cowher basically instilled it in them never to get into problems like this and it was a very clear message. He went on saying that even after Ben had won his first Superbowl under Cowher, that Ben was still not allowed to call his own plays and had very little say. He said now Ben pretty much has free reign and if Ben doesn't like a play, it's not even in the playbook anymore.

I don't know why Marvel would imply this, if it weren't true, but it sort of lends credibility to Ben's recent behavior. Yes, Ben got into the accident under Cowher, but that was a different circumstance than the sexual assault allegations.

I was hoping Arians would be fired this year and I'm not blaming Ben's behavior on him, but maybe if Ben had more of a authority figure as OC, quarterback's coach, or even head coach that he wouldn't be as reckless. I get the feeling that Coach Tomlin hasn't really put in a lot of input over the offense and maybe a stronger hand might help.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, but Marvel's statement just make me think (and that's always scary)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Marvel Smith on Sirius NFL radio

Hi, Steelgal:

I've often wondered if Cowher had stayed how the relationship between him and Ben would have fared. Cowher gave me the impression he believed he was dealing with men and wanted to treat them as such. It just doesn't seem like this would have gone on very long. Cowher seemed like a no-nonsense coach to me and that is only my perspective from the outward appearance.

Maybe there has been too much coddling of Ben and he needs some clearly defined rules and boundaries. Someone better get into his "thinking" head fast or it will be a shame that he appears to be on a career self-destruction course.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Here's an article with more of Marvel's comments

[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/sports/football/14rhoden.html?ref=sports"]http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/sport ... ref=sports[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgal
    Just on my way home from soccer practice and Marvel was talking to the hosts (sorry, didn't get their names). they were getting his opinion on the whole Ben saga and he made an interesting point. He was asked if Mr. Rooney ever addressed the team about things like this or how to act off the field. He said Mr. Rooney would address the team at training camp, but it was never about anything like this because it was an unwritten rule how to act.

He also said that Coach Cowher basically instilled it in them never to get into problems like this and it was a very clear message. He went on saying that even after Ben had won his first Superbowl under Cowher, that Ben was still not allowed to call his own plays and had very little say. He said now Ben pretty much has free reign and if Ben doesn't like a play, it's not even in the playbook anymore.

I don't know why Marvel would imply this, if it weren't true, but it sort of lends credibility to Ben's recent behavior. Yes, Ben got into the accident under Cowher, but that was a different circumstance than the sexual assault allegations.

I was hoping Arians would be fired this year and I'm not blaming Ben's behavior on him, but maybe if Ben had more of a authority figure as OC, quarterback's coach, or even head coach that he wouldn't be as reckless. I get the feeling that Coach Tomlin hasn't really put in a lot of input over the offense and maybe a stronger hand might help.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, but Marvel's statement just make me think (and that's always scary)
    Exactly. Written or unwritten, noone is above it.