Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Demaryius Thomas anyone ?

Demaryius Thomas anyone ?

Who knows where this kid might end up going. I've seen rd.1 thru rd.3 in some mocks. A safe bet would be top half of the 2nd so most likely if the Steelers covet him they'll have to move up, which with our abundance of late picks we should be able to.

Demaryius Thomas WR Georgia Tech 6'3" 224lb 4.5 (40time)

Acceleration/Burst/Quickness: Has long, powerful strides that can get him to top speed in a blink. Does not look explosive because of his long strides but he can get going with the best of them. Lacks short area quickness, struggles when he has to shorten his strides.

Agility/Leaping Ability: Well balanced athlete with strong hips. Does not make the last second short area movement to avoid hits however. Can out leap most if not all defensive backs. Gathers himself and times the leaps well to snatch the ball at the apex of his jump.

Blocking: Top tier blocker. Comes from an offensive system that had him making important blocks countless times week in and week out. Completely takes defensive backs out of a play, very strong from head to toe. Uses proper technique with knee bend and straight arms. Gives good effort and enjoys the physical part of the game.

Body Control/Adjustment: Very balanced that can adjust left, right, and upward very well. Struggles when going down to the ground while trying to make a catch. Was often sent downfield and had the quarterback simply throw it up and Thomas consistently adjusted his body position to make the tough catch.

Concentration/Hands: Rarely drops a ball within his reach, but does have the occasional lapse in concentration when nobody is around him. Has enormous, strong hands that easily control the football. A pure hands catcher, rarely lets it get into his body.

Release: Is more than physical/strong enough to toss away a corner in press coverage. Just needs more experience and work on technique to properly get in to his route against press coverage. Rarely saw it in college because he is too physical for most if not all collegiate corners.

Route Running: Very green as a route runner. Ran an extremely limited tree at Georgia Tech because of the simple scheme. Rounds his cuts and takes too many steps when he need to make a 90 degree or 180 degree turn. Needs a lot of work in this area.

Separation: Does not consistently get the separation underneath. The further downfield he gets, the more separation he obtains. However because he is a long strider, his shorter routes do not get the necessary separation.

Size/Length/Hand Size: Has the body of a small tight end. Enormous frame with a lot of weel evedloped muscle. Long arms and enormous hands. Makes the football like tiny when he is carrying it.

Speed: Has showed elite speed in the open field. Has run away from some fast defensive backs in the ACC. Appears slower than he is because of the length of his strides.

Vision/Run After the Catch: A weapon in the screen game. Very tough to tackle because of his size and power in his legs. More of a straight line runner than a guy that has the wiggle to make guys miss.

Final Word: In a scheme where the run comes first, second, and third, the ability of Thomas was not put on full display over the past few years. If he had been playing in an NFL pro set offense, Thomas could be the most sought after receiver in this class. But because of his lack of experience running the full route tree and reading coverages, he is going to enter the league as a raw talent that needs a lot of coaching. The ceiling with this player is just as high as any receiver in this class, yet he will likely be available in the second round. Considering his strong work ethic and love for all aspects of the game, one has to believe that Thomas is going to mold himself in to a top flight receiver in the NFL. Once he learns the little details surrounding technique, he is going to be a legit number one receiver that can do it all.

Pro Bowler

Re: Demaryius Thomas anyone ?

I'm thinking he goes in the 1st round, latest is first 10 picks in the 2nd round.

He's got a lot of similarities to T.O (On the field that is)...

I think of all the wr hes the one I'd like.

Hall of Famer

I don't want him; I admit that I don't know much about him, but I am an ardent draft fan over the years. This guy seems like one of the many $.10 a dozen guys that come up the pike every year.

For the record (if we take a WR early), I want Golden Tate. Dez is not an option if you care about the Santonio/Plaxico pea-sized brain type actions that follow these kind of guys.

Tate is the opposite; Tate is gonna come to work, play hard, and do it with a level-head.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    I don't want him; I admit that I don't know much about him, but I am an ardent draft fan over the years. This guy seems like one of the many $.10 a dozen guys that come up the pike every year.

For the record (if we take a WR early), I want Golden Tate. Dez is not an option if you care about the Santonio/Plaxico pea-sized brain type actions that follow these kind of guys.

Tate is the opposite; Tate is gonna come to work, play hard, and do it with a level-head.
    You just miss the old L.C. Greenwood gold cleats, dontcha, Shoe?

I have to say Shoe , I couldn't disagree more about Thomas being a dime a dozen type of guy. He has elite physical skills. Now Tate IMO is not quite the athlete Thomas is , still NFL capable don't get me wrong , but if you talking about who has the higher ceiling , you cannot argue against Thomas. I admit he may have some "bust" potential but all the scouts seem to agree , if you hit on this kid , he's gonna be a good one. And according to what I've read about him he's clean off the field , is a hard worker , good blocker , freakishly athletic for his size etc.....I like the kid. Hope we get him in the early 2nd if he lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by isonator07
    Agreed...my only concern is the route running.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by isonator07
    Agreed...my only concern is the route running.
    i dont think thomas, tate or dez are great at running routes. out of the three though i think thomas is the best. thats not saying a whole lot because i dont think tate or dez are great at running routes. must scouting reports i have seen that is both of their weaknesses. i am begaining to sour on dez though because of players like stonio. i dont want another plax or holmes again

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by SteelHead
    I have to say Shoe , I couldn't disagree more about Thomas being a dime a dozen type of guy. He has elite physical skills. Now Tate IMO is not quite the athlete Thomas is , still NFL capable don't get me wrong , but if you talking about who has the higher ceiling , you cannot argue against Thomas. I admit he may have some "bust" potential but all the scouts seem to agree , if you hit on this kid , he's gonna be a good one. And according to what I've read about him he's clean off the field , is a hard worker , good blocker , freakishly athletic for his size etc.....I like the kid. Hope we get him in the early 2nd if he lasts.
    I'm sorry; I was actually thinking about Benn. Reading a bit on him (Thomas), he is intriguing. At this point, I'm still firmly a Golden Tate backer in terms of if we draft a WR. We have the defense-stretching element that is so important in Wallace. We also have two solid chain-moving vets in Big Money and Hines. I just think I want the polished, all-around skills of a guy like Tate over the seeming potential of this guy Thomas.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by SteelHead
    I'm sorry; I was actually thinking about Benn. Reading a bit on him (Thomas), he is intriguing. At this point, I'm still firmly a Golden Tate backer in terms of if we draft a WR. We have the defense-stretching element that is so important in Wallace. We also have two solid chain-moving vets in Big Money and Hines. I just think I want the polished, all-around skills of a guy like Tate over the seeming potential of this guy Thomas.
    trust me tates game is anything but polished