Thread: My ideal draft plan

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

My ideal draft plan

This based on Best draft value: Position-by-position. I am using this article as a reference from Hawaiinsteel's post here [url="http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11318"]viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11318[/url]

the facts:
    1) We have 11 overall draft picks, way to many picks to make the team. They will definitely be used to trade up in a few rounds.
    2) For the positions we need to address (IMHO) CB, WR, OG, OC, ILB there is great position value 21-50.

my ideal draft would be get as many picks in the 21-50 range.

1) Trade back from 18 to the 20-26 selection and grab the best BPA (Wilson, Pouncy, Iupati, Graham, Sean Weatherspoon, Dan Williams, Odreck) and gain more 2nd/3rd round selections.

2) Then in the 2nd and 3rd round play aggressive hardcore.
    Use all the additional picks we have (4th/5th/6th/7th) wheel and deal and grab the BPA we want.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: My ideal draft plan

Those 4th & 5th rounders are not going to buy you much in draft positioning. If the player they "covet" is not there at 18, I wouldn't mind seeing them trade down a bit so they could trade back up into the top of the second.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george
    This based on Best draft value: Position-by-position. I am using this article as a reference from Hawaiinsteel's post here [url="http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11318"]viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11318[/url]

the facts:
    1) We have 11 overall draft picks, way to many picks to make the team. They will definitely be used to trade up in a few rounds.
    2) For the positions we need to address (IMHO) CB, WR, OG, OC, ILB there is great position value 21-50.

1) Trade back from 18 to the 20-26 selection and grab the best BPA (Wilson, Pouncy, Iupati, Graham, Sean Weatherspoon, Dan Williams, Odreck) and gain more 2nd/3rd round selections.

Use all the additional picks we have (4th/5th/6th/7th) wheel and deal and grab the BPA we want.
    I would not be opposed to this at all provided the Steelers still end up with 4 picks and I'm not sure that can happen to move into the top 50 (maybe after the trade down it will be feasible). They may be able to get away with 3 picks if they hit homeruns with each pick.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Starter

User Info Menu

In theory that sounds good. The problem is:

1) Teams do not covet those 5-7 round picks (which is where our surplus lies) as much as you might think, especially not enough to trade away their position in this years 'talent heavy' 2-3 rounds. We could trade 4 of those picks and get like... one 3rd rounder.

2) You could give Colbert 3 third round picks and he's gonna mis-draft two of them. He just doesn't evaluate players well in that range.

If you really want to wheel and deal, trade up for two first rounders where Colbert's strength lies. He won't botch those.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledSteeler
    In theory that sounds good. The problem is:

1) Teams do not covet those 5-7 round picks (which is where our surplus lies) as much as you might think, especially not enough to trade away their position in this years 'talent heavy' 2-3 rounds. We could trade 4 of those picks and get like... one 3rd rounder.

With trading back in round 1, we should gain an additional 2nd or 3rd rounder. ( I am not so sure what the value is trading back from 18 to the mid late 20 selection) Now with an additional pick in either round ( 2nd or 3rd) package one of those and a 5-7 pick to move up with that round (2nd or 3rd)

2) You could give Colbert 3 third round picks and he's gonna mis-draft two of them. He just doesn't evaluate players well in that range.

If you really want to wheel and deal, trade up for two first rounders where Colbert's strength lies. He won't botch those.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

my ideal draft is after we trade ben for the first pick this year...
    sue
    berry (after we move up to get him)
    ol
    ol
    wr
    inside lb

than we get a qb with that high pick we get from st. louis next year, oh yea we will have a high pick next year too..

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george

the facts:

11 players could absolutely make this team.

OL - 2
    TE - 1
    WR- 1
    QB - ?
    RB - 1
    FB - 1
    DL - 1-2
    LB - 1-2
    S - 0-1
    CB - 1

That would be 9 - 12. If you figure that 2-4 players are usually put on IR before the third preseason game, that would put us at 11-16 players needed and we haven't even populated a practice squad.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.