Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why Suspend Ben

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: Why Suspend Ben

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    I don't get this idea that Ben must be suspended????

What did he do?

The police aren't pursuing it, nor should the NFL.

What did he do that was so detrimental?

No one knows for sure.

But yet everyone wants to pass judgement since Ben was found guilty according to TMZ and the court of public opinion.

One thing is for sure, Pittsburghers will never embrace their starting QB - whoever he may be.

It's odd.
    Seriously, flippy?

You really think he handled himself appropriately? You would handle yourself that way? You would want your son to act that way? You would want someone to act that way with your daughter?

I'm not saying he did anything criminal. And I'm not saying the girl acted appropriately either.

I'm just saying that if my son acted in such a manor, even if he was a college kid too ( and even if there was no criminal action) I would whoop his a$$ and tell him to grow up!! Their would be repercussion for his actions in my household, just as there would have been in my parents household. My dad would have kicked my a$$.

I see no reason that our average citizen/fan shouldn't be critical of his actions too. Since he is not my son and I can't whoop his a$$, so I would love to see the Rooney's do it in their household. He wants to act like a juvenile, treat him like one.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NWNewell

What did he do?

The police aren't pursuing it, nor should the NFL.

What did he do that was so detrimental?

No one knows for sure.

But yet everyone wants to pass judgement since Ben was found guilty according to TMZ and the court of public opinion.

One thing is for sure, Pittsburghers will never embrace their starting QB - whoever he may be.

It's odd.
    Seriously, flippy?

You really think he handled himself appropriately? You would handle yourself that way? You would want your son to act that way? You would want someone to act that way with your daughter?

I'm not saying he did anything criminal. And I'm not saying the girl acted appropriately either.

I'm just saying that if my son acted in such a manor, even if he was a college kid too ( and even if there was no criminal action) I would whoop his a$$ and tell him to grow up!! Their would be repercussion for his actions.

I see no reason that our average citizen/fan shouldn't be critical of his actions too. Since he is not my son and I can't whoop his a$$ I would love to see the Rooney's do it. He wants to act like a juvenile, treat him like one.

Thank you, I've been trying to explain this nicely, the blunt force trauma method nay be more apropos.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

If it was only this Georgia incident, then maybe Ben gets by without a suspension.
    But there's a history there, a history that shows Ben lacks respect for his team.

He has a clause in his contract that prohibits him from riding motorbikes. He thumbs his nose at his team by riding his bike anyway...and ends up nearly getting killed in the process. And it hurts his team's chances for that season.

Next, he is accused of rape by a hotel employee. Her story sounds sort of fishy, but half a year later, her civil suit is still going forward. You would think, at this point, as a $100-million dollar celebrity, Ben would realize he might have a target on his back, and ought to watch himself more closely. You would think, as the highly-paid franchise QB of the Pittsburgh Steelers, he would realize he owes his good living to his sport and his owners and his fans, and would want to do all he could to avoid bringing embarrassment to them. So what does he do? While the civil suit in Nevada is still going forward, Ben goes clubbing in a college town, brings underage co-eds into the VIP lounge and gives them alcohol, then follows one of them into a bathroom for sex. Why can't people see that, guilty of a crime or not, Ben was once again thumbing his nose?

A suspension and fine would be highly appropriate. A message needs to be sent, to Ben and to the rest of the league.

Backup

User Info Menu

What did he do?
    I am not passing judgement on him as a person just on his actions. If he learns from this he can become a better person but the following...

[url]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10103/1049930-66.stm[/url]
    Bright portrayed Roethlisberger as a real creep during his news conference. He said Roethlisberger "provided shots of alcohol" for the alleged underaged victim and her friends. He also said Roethlisberger invited the "highly intoxicated" alleged victim into the club's VIP area and later followed her into a small bathroom.

"Significant questions about what had occurred [after that] persist," Bright said.
    Says it all for me. I expect better of the QB of the Steelers for reasons to numerous. I think a two game benching is just the message this kid needs right now.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Why suspend Ben...when you can tar & feather him & ride him out of town on a rail?

He gotten killed - rightfully so - for his poor judgment in putting himself in these situations. But now it's because he didn't get charged, or really get punished enough. But it's also because the media doesn't like him, because Terry Bradshaw doesn't like him, because he wore the wrong shirt that night, because he wore the wrong shirt last night, because he put on weight, because of a bad haircut, because he rode a motorcycle, because he got hit riding that motorcycle, because he represents the team, because he represents the city, because he represents you & me, because he should be grateful, because he owes it to us...but not because he was found guilty.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Why suspend Ben...when you can tar & feather him & ride him out of town on a rail?

He gotten killed - rightfully so - for his poor judgment in putting himself in these situations. But now it's because he didn't get charged, or really get punished enough. But it's also because the media doesn't like him, because Terry Bradshaw doesn't like him, because he wore the wrong shirt that night, because he wore the wrong shirt last night, because he put on weight, because of a bad haircut, because he rode a motorcycle, because he got hit riding that motorcycle, because he represents the team, because he represents the city, because he represents you & me, because he should be grateful, because he owes it to us...but not because he was found guilty.
    The Pittsburgh Steeler football team is not bound by the burden of proof of a criminal trial. Everything you mentioned can come into play (except representing you and me, he does not) as the Steelers determine their next steps. There is no obligation to the fans, zero, none, nada, but I do believe he has an obligation to the billion dollar business known as the Pittsburgh Steelers. And, his behavior over the past 9-10 months has been abhorrent and detrimental to the team. If the Steelers determine that there should be punishment he should accept without clamor and move on.

Pappy

7.178 -
    7.195 -

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life

The Pittsburgh Steeler football team is not bound by the burden of proof of a criminal trial. Everything you mentioned can come into play (except representing you and me, he does not) as the Steelers determine their next steps. There is no obligation to the fans, zero, none, nada, but I do believe he has an obligation to the billion dollar business known as the Pittsburgh Steelers. And, his behavior over the past 9-10 months has been abhorrent and detrimental to the team. If the Steelers determine that there should be punishment he should accept without clamor and move on.

Pappy
    I agree Pap...I'm deriding the "lynch mob" mentality that has slipped into this whole thing. I hope that all parties involved take a very pragmatic approach & accept it for what it is & what it isn't. Shoot - now they're bringing race into it & whether the union needs to challenge Goodell on any suspension, etc. I just want it over & him behind center ASAP. After all if Kobe, Ray Lewis & Leonard Little can survive what they did, then so can Ben.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=Steel Life]
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by "Steel Life":25siogzv

Pappy
    I agree Pap...I'm deriding the "lynch mob" mentality that has slipped into this whole thing. I hope that all parties involved take a very pragmatic approach & accept it for what it is & what it isn't. Shoot - now they're bringing race into it & whether the union needs to challenge Goodell on any suspension, etc. I just want it over & him behind center ASAP. After all if Kobe, Ray Lewis & Leonard Little can survive what they did, then so can Ben.[/quote:25siogzv]

The difference will be the organization for which Ben Roethlisberger is paid to be quarterback. The Steelers are not the Lakers, Ravens or Rams.

Pappy

7.178 -
    7.195 -

Rookie

User Info Menu

The difference is that Bryant, Lewis and Little actually had charges filed against them at some point...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.