Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chadman's thoughts on Ben.

Re: Chadman's thoughts on Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by JAR
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    I would like to know the genesis of the whole contrived statement that he read looking disheveled and guilty of something. Whoever is advising him on his choice of clothing (Nike, really, at this time?), haircut and appearance did not do him any good service. He appeared unprepared, sloppy and dismissive of the incident. Reading a statement as poorly crafted and nebulous as the one he read certainly didn't help get this incident behind him.

He needs to hire himself a personal adviser to help get himself cleaned up. He looks like a slob much of the time and acts similarly. He's a great talent, but that doesn't give him license to behave in any fashion he sees fit.

The statement lasted less than 3 minutes and he couldn't get through it without reading cue cards. That indicates that he was not even part of the process of crafting the statement. Not having an actual press conference was not a good idea either and I'm not sure why the Steeler organization allowed this to happen without a representative from the team in attendance. Even if they want to distance themselves from Ben a representative of the organization should have been present and in sight.

It's almost as if Ben conducted the statement without the blessing of the organization, but held the conference on their premises against their better judgment. It was extremely odd or eerie in nature. I fear this isn't over for Ben and the Steelers.

Pappy
    KDKA interviewed a personal adviser last night who said Ben did good on his delivery of his statement, it was sincere and believable. He said the only thing Ben could have done better was wear something more business casual.
    I that personal adviser should be fired... right after Ben's.

It was a pathetic attempt.

Pro Bowler

Your not totally off based by your ideas, you just go too far at this point.
    Yes, I guess suspend him for a game if you must, but this hurts the whole team and fans, not just Ben. And we've been hit enough over this. Fine him some game checks, sure. Make him do LOTS of charity work. But let's keep things in perspective. He's been doing some drunk fishing with his penis. Nothing outrageous proven at this point. Trading him is not a good move and he's not anywhere near the cretin that Holmes has been over the last 5-8 years. Disregard the motorcycle thing. That's self stupid, not despicable. He's got 5 really good seasons left. I think he'll likely settle down a bit now. Or at least get some training in how to be a dirtbag at home. Transgressions have a way of getting diluted down over time and a short time indeed. Kobe had a similar issue while being married. He was league MVP at least once since then. He has another ring and general league support. His face is back in the spotlight for the league. This CAN happen to Ben. I believe he'll pull back a bit. If so, he'll be OK and all will be well after 2 seasons.

"The fact that the Rooney's, Tomlin, Colbert or even another Steeler player didn't stand by him during his statement was both saddening, and telling. Ben is in trouble- make no mistake. The Steelers, as an organisation, are not showing Ben support. Fix it yourself Son."
    This is Chadman's most clear note. I didn't really notice it, but Ben maybe finally alone on fixing his problems. That tends to help you out.

Chad you have certainly been level headed about this whole thing. I respect that. You defended him until you had more information. It seems the press conference left the same taste in your mouth as it did in mine. There was something that went on that night that Ben doesn't want brought to light. I would be shocked if Ben hasn't paid that girl and made this go away. I certainly don't think he is a rapist but I doubt he is entirely innocent either.

With that said, I still need to deal in the facts...no gut feeling about the situation needs to come into play. Knowing what we know...supplying underage drinkers with shots, something sexual in the bathroom, and general douchebaggery...there needs to be a suspension of some sort. If not by the NFL by the Rooneys. I would rather this be taken care of in house. I would like to see the Rooneys sit him for 4 games.

As for the trade. I'm not ready to go there with our franchise QB. You don't just grow those on trees. I would not want to see Mark Malone days again. I will say this however. He has had his last shot with me...and I suspect with the Rooneys. Shape up or ship out. Do something ignorant again and it will be the later.

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    For those of you saying that Ben should be suspended, please state the offense that was commited. I'm interested in what the reasoning is for suspension.

Is it because you believe that he is not innocent of the crime of sexual assault, but somehow paid someone off or lucked out with the investigation? Is it because he should not be hanging out in college bars with drunk sorority girls? Is it the general lack of professionalism? Is it because he has now reached three on the incident count?

IMO some of these reasons may be valid for sitting him down and asking him to re-evaluate his life and his position with the team and within football - but not suspendable.
    I can give you several. Supplying underaged drinkers with alcohol. Public indecency. And from the Steelers side of things...putting himself in a situation that could negatively effect him and the team. He brought poor press to himself and the Steelers because he couldn't control little Ben. See the nice thing here is the Steelers don't need to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt. They just have to believe he did something that was detrimental to the team. And this situation fits the bill.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    I think the Rooney's will fine Ben, suspend him for one game (hopefully Cleveland), and see that he undergoes some sort of "counseling" and charity work.

I think if Ben does truly "repent" that the relationship w/ the Rooney's can be repaired.
    so, last night, I had this terrible dream that this sort of suspension actually happened. I woke up when the Browns scored their third touchdown with just over 3 to play... I couldn't stand being asleep for a shut out vs the browns... true story. how weird.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

I don't think that the league will be able to impose a suspension after Ben meets with Goodell today, because the player's union would likely file a grievance over suspending someone who has not even been arrested or charged or anything in either incident.

However, I expect the Rooneys to sit him down for 2 games. They may not be able to suspend him per se (where he would lose game check, because, again, the player's union would file a grievance), but they can just opt to designate him as the inactive 3rd QB for the first two games of the season (like how they sat Santonio down for the Giants game a couple of seasons ago, just by making him inactive for that game rather than formally suspending him and taking away a game check).

It would be their tangible means of putting him on notice that, even if nothing illegal may have happened, the team will not tolerate behavior that puts the team and league in a poor light, such as having sex with hotel employees that are supposed to be on the clock, or fooling around with college students in a bar bathroom. The Santonio trade is evidence of the next step if this type of behavior continues.

Although his sexual escapades are none of the Rooneys' business, Ben made it their business by making poor decisions that got his name in the headlines on multiple occassions. The team certainly can't legislate who he has sex with, but they could strongly suggest that he at least take her to dinner and a movie to get to know her just a little bit first (or whatever, you get my drift) instead of going after random drunken co-eds in bathrooms and the like. Be a damn gentleman! Is that so hard?

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I don't think that the league will be able to impose a suspension after Ben meets with Goodell today, because the player's union would likely file a grievance over suspending someone who has not even been arrested or charged or anything in either incident.

However, I expect the Rooneys to sit him down for 2 games. They may not be able to suspend him per se (where he would lose game check, because, again, the player's union would file a grievance), but they can just opt to designate him as the inactive 3rd QB for the first two games of the season (like how they sat Santonio down for the Giants game a couple of seasons ago, just by making him inactive for that game rather than formally suspending him and taking away a game check).

It would be their tangible means of putting him on notice that, even if nothing illegal may have happened, the team will not tolerate behavior that puts the team and league in a poor light, such as having sex with hotel employees that are supposed to be on the clock, or fooling around with college students in a bar bathroom. The Santonio trade is evidence of the next step if this type of behavior continues.

Although his sexual escapades are none of the Rooneys' business, Ben made it their business by making poor decisions that got his name in the headlines on multiple occassions. The team certainly can't legislate who he has sex with, but they could strongly suggest that he at least take her to dinner and a movie to get to know her just a little bit first (or whatever, you get my drift) instead of going after random drunken co-eds in bathrooms and the like. Be a damn gentleman! Is that so hard?
    The Steelers should still attempt to suspend him and then when the union steps in Ben should tell them to stay out of family business and accept the punishment like a man.

Just my opinion...

The Steelers need him, but they need him to be more conservative in his approach to having a good time. He's one of the best in the biz and I'd hate to see him go, but he's perilously close (at least that's the feeling I get from the team) to not being a Steeler.

Just as an aside, didn't anyone think it was odd that not one representative of the team was attended his statement yesterday?

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

I didn't think it was odd Pappy. The team is sending a message...Ben your behavior sucks. We will not support you. You are on your own. You are lucky to have a job.

I personally think a 500k fine and a 3 game suspension would not be out of line!! Hopefully we can win at least one of those games.
    Trade our 1/15 to SF for 1/30, 2/56, 4/129

1/30-Louis Nix-DT-ND
    2/46-Stephon Tuitt-DE-ND
    2/56-Jordan Mathews-WR-Vandy
    3/97-Phillip Gaines-CB-Rice
    4/118-Taylor Hart-DE-Oregon
    4/129-Lache Seastrunk-RB-Baylor
    5/157-Aaron Colvin-DB-Oklahoma
    5/173-Brandon Thomas-OL-Clemson
    6/192-Ka'Deem Carey-RB-Arizona
    6/215-Prince Shembo-OLB_Notre Dame
    7/230-Colt Lyerla-TE-Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    I didn't think it was odd Pappy. The team is sending a message...Ben your behavior sucks. We will not support you. You are on your own. You are lucky to have a job.
    I understand that, but he did it within the confines of the Steeler offices. I just think a low level manager should have been there to at least let the world know that it's okay that he's using Steeler offices to provide this statement.

I didn't expect Art II, Tomlin or Colbert, but the manager of public relations or something to give a brief intro before Ben said his piece.

Something to the effect, "Ben Roethlisberger has requested that he be able to read a prepared statement concerning the results form the investigation in Georgia and The Steeler football organization is giving him that opportunity."

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll