Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben to make statement at 7:00 pm

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben to make statement at 7:00 pm

Roethlisberger to make statement at 7 p.m.
    Monday, April 12, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger will issue a statement in the Steelers press room at 7 p.m. today, the team just announced. It will be the quarterback's first public statement since a 20-year-old woman claimed she was sexually assaulted by him in Georgia March 5.

Georgia authorities said today they will not prosecute the case.

Read more: [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10102/1049839-66.stm#ixzz0kvQSjYR6"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10102/10 ... z0kvQSjYR6[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Ben to make statement at 7:00 pm

Also, here's a statement from Rooney. According to Bouchette, he's PO'd......

Rooney: Steelers "will determine the next steps" in Roethlisberger "process"
    Monday, April 12, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers president Art Rooney said in a statement late this afternoon that the organization will consider the "next steps in this process" regarding quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

"During the past few weeks I have met with Ben on a number of occasions, not only to discuss this incident but also to discuss his commitment to making sure something like this never happens again," Rooney's statement came after officials in Georgia said this afternoon they would not pursue a sexual assault charge against Roethlisberger.

"The Pittsburgh Steelers take the conduct of players and staff very seriously. Ben will now have to work hard to earn back the respect and trust of Steelers fans, and to live up to the leadership responsibilities we all expect of him."

Rooney said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will meet with Roethlisberger "in the coming days" to "discuss his resolve to abide by the league's personal conduct standards."

The Steelers president left open possible discipline he could take against Roethlisberger.

"After consultation with the Commissioner, our organization will determine the next steps in the process," Rooney said.

Read more: [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10102/1049837-66.stm#ixzz0kvQv6bsj"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10102/10 ... z0kvQv6bsj[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

I just can't see this being a fine/suspension issue. He was accused by a drunk, inconsistent, underaged girl. Then she says that she doesn't want it to continue. It's way too thin IMO. Let it go.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    I just can't see this being a fine/suspension issue. He was accused by a drunk, inconsistent, underaged girl. Then she says that she doesn't want it to continue. It's way too thin IMO. Let it go.
    I just want to hear what Ben has to say. I'm glad he's getting in front of the media and putting this to bed once and for all.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan

I understand being upset about the wrong kind of attention being paid to the team this offseason, but there really isn't much to hang any kind of fine or suspension on.

Backup

User Info Menu

I'm glad Ben is coming right out and making a statement. Hopefully he looks clean cut , is extremely sincere and apologetic. This is only step 1 for Ben though , he's gonna have to bite the bullet and take a lot of judgment from media , coaches , fans etc..... , until he starts winning back some trust and putting this thing behind him.

I think it's rather obvious from the commishes statement("discuss his resolve to abide by the league's personal conduct standards.") that Ben won't get suspended. He'll have a very public and stern talking to at his office which will feed the medias need to punish Ben as well as allowing the commish to come of as the bad *ss he wants to be knows as. He'll also let Ben know that any whiff of off-field issues and he'll suspend him no matter what.

As far as the Rooneys , they have to be fuming mad. But even his statements are "toe-the-line" type of words. They'll probably require him to get some counseling to help the FO save face but I don't see him getting sat by the team for even a game. I just don't. They'll tell Ben the same thing the commish will tell him. Grow up , stop putting yourself in these situations and if you bring negative light on the Steelers again , your out the door. Making these statements public right away like this is almost the 1st part of Bens punishment , give him 40 lashes in the media back it up with a game plan to correct his issues that don't affect his ability to win games for the Steelers , call it a day and hope , I mean pray he stays squeaky clean from here on out.

Legend

User Info Menu

He needs to win a couple more superbowls.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    He needs to win a couple more superbowls.
    $ post.....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't see why Ben should be apologetic. Apologetic about what? If anything a controlled indignation would be better for being falsley accused by a drunk.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I hope Ben is not wearing the same long sleeved black shirt that he wore in Georgia ....