Thread: The other view - Could be a GREAT move getting rid of Stonio

Hall of Famer

Re: The other view - Could be a GREAT move getting rid of Stonio

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Agreed....and I personally think Mike Wallace turns out to be a better receiver than Santonio Holmes.
    whoa turns out to be better? i would say he is already better than holmes. if wallace got the throws holmes did last season he would of had better numbers. if tone had the few passes thrown to him a game he would of had awful stats
    Wow- have you guys been joining Holmes around a bowl or something? Wallace is OK and all. There is no reason to believe that he will be any more than competent as a #2 with better defenders covering him.
    he put up much better numbers than either ward or holmes their rookie seasons. for me that is reason enough to belive that wallace will be or is better than holmes. without holmes wallace will get double the throws which will equal double the production
    Um, the guy is being covered by the worst db's that could make the team. There is NO reason to believe that he will be able to be nearly as productive as a #2. In fact, part of the reason he may have put up the numbers he did was because of Holmes, the SB MVP from the prior year, who ended up with over 1200 yards. With no Holmes as a threat and an aging Ward, I won't be shocked if Wallace's production suffers.
    thank you

i do believe wallace can develop into a solid #1, expecting it in his 2nd year is wishful thinking.

holmes was tied for 2nd in the NFL in receptions over 20 yards. you dont lose production like that and not be hurt by it.

and to add, if wallace does approach those numbers, our #3 is a severe downgrade, cause instead of having the promising wallace there...we have ARE

Hall of Famer

Last season Holmes was in on 1,040 offensive snaps. He was target 127 times catching 62% of his passes at 15.8 yds/catch. He averaged 6.3 YAC/reception.

Wallace was in on 638 snaps. He was targeted 71 times catching 55% of his passes at 19.4 yds/catch. He averaged 3.4 YAC/rec.

These are good numbers for a rookie and far exceed both Ward and Holmes rookie seasons. There is nothing that suggests he will not be a VERY good WR in the NFL if he continues to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER

whoa turns out to be better? i would say he is already better than holmes. if wallace got the throws holmes did last season he would of had better numbers. if tone had the few passes thrown to him a game he would of had awful stats
    Wow- have you guys been joining Holmes around a bowl or something? Wallace is OK and all. There is no reason to believe that he will be any more than competent as a #2 with better defenders covering him.
    he put up much better numbers than either ward or holmes their rookie seasons. for me that is reason enough to belive that wallace will be or is better than holmes. without holmes wallace will get double the throws which will equal double the production
    Um, the guy is being covered by the worst db's that could make the team. There is NO reason to believe that he will be able to be nearly as productive as a #2. In fact, part of the reason he may have put up the numbers he did was because of Holmes, the SB MVP from the prior year, who ended up with over 1200 yards. With no Holmes as a threat and an aging Ward, I won't be shocked if Wallace's production suffers.
    thank you

i do believe wallace can develop into a solid #1, expecting it in his 2nd year is wishful thinking.

holmes was tied for 2nd in the NFL in receptions over 20 yards. you dont lose production like that and not be hurt by it.

and to add, if wallace does approach those numbers, our #3 is a severe downgrade, cause instead of having the promising wallace there...we have ARE
    Remember - the comparison isn't between Wallace and what Holmes' potential playmaking COULD be ...

...it's between Wallace and a guy who is guaranteed to miss one-fourth of the season, with probably pretty good odds he will miss lots more or even ALL of the rest of the season (because it's unlikely he'll put down the peace pipe).

Looking at it that way, I think the only thing we can say is that we're fortunate to have a deep WR corps with a lot of upside.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    Last season Holmes was in on 1,040 offensive snaps. He was target 127 times catching 62% of his passes at 15.8 yds/catch. He averaged 6.3 YAC/reception.

Wallace was in on 638 snaps. He was targeted 71 times catching 55% of his passes at 19.4 yds/catch. He averaged 3.4 YAC/rec.

These are good numbers for a rookie and far exceed both Ward and Holmes rookie seasons. There is nothing that suggests he will not be a VERY good WR in the NFL if he continues to develop.

I agree. I just hope it continues when he's being covered by the 1st or 2nd best DB on the opposing D.

i wasn't shocked by the trade itself, but i was shocked to hear we only got a 5th rounder for Sanstonio.

Holmes: Shocked at trade

Monday, April 12, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Santonio Holmes said today he was "shocked" to learn the Steelers had traded him to the New York Jets but is "ready to move forward to start a new career."

Holmes, speaking with reporters on a conference call late this afternoon, said Kevin Colbert, the Steelers director of football operations, informed him of the trade about 9 p.m. Sunday.

"I was very shocked," Holmes said. "But it opened a lot of doors and gives me a new chance to start over."

The NFL announced today that Holmes would be suspended for the first four games of the season after violating the league's substance abuse policy.

"Right now, I'm accountable for what happened," Holmes said, adding that "I don't think I have to dig out of any holes. These guys have opened up their arms to me."

Holmes had no parting shots for the Steelers.

"I'm definitely going to leave with great memories. I had a tremendous time, spending four years," Holmes said. "Those guys still trust and believe in me. It's just unfortunate we had to part ways. It worked out better for the both of us."

New York Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum, on the same conference call, acknowledged the Jets were taking a risk by acquiring Holmes but noted it only cost his team a fifth-round draft choice.

"Santonio's situation, obviously there have been some bumps in the roads in the past," Tannenbaum said. "Hopefully he has learned from that. We understand there are risks, significant risks but at the end of the day we felt the price was reasonable and the risk reasonable."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10102/1049842-100.stm

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast

I agree. I just hope it continues when he's being covered by the 1st or 2nd best DB on the opposing D.
    I hope it continues when Santonio Holmes isn't on the field to take up the best DB's too.

Starter

My take? We can compare apples and oranges all we want. The bottom line is that Wallace is now our guy. Time to get behind him.

Stonio is gone, period.

Hall of Famer

to bad i dont have twitter because i have some great connections in nyc and ct to get sour diesel at a good price. what a loser haha. he will be in rykers island in no time