Thread: The Santonio trade- A message sent

The Santonio trade- A message sent

People completely miss what the Santonio trade is about.

It aint just blind emotion by Rooney. It is a message to the team and to the NFL. The Steelers dont put up with this kind of foolishness. Best receiver, SB MVP we dont care. (Ben you listening?)

Could we have gotten more? Perhaps. But I think the fact that we got so little in return makes a stronger case.

Did we lose a talent? Yes.
    Are we less talented as a result? YES.

But in the long run this message will result in a level of class and discipline without equal in this league. We are better off as a team in the long run.

Recent events have begun to tarnish the Steeler rep, this highlights that the Steelers remain the class of the league.

I love it and have never been prouder to be a Steeler fan.

Legend

Re: The Santonio trade- A message sent

Ummmmm... so the message is 1 domestic violence charge dropped + 2 weed violations + another + a naked photo in the shower + a twitter account telling people to kill themselves, dumping on the Steeler franchise and admitting more weed use + a false domestic violence charge... and Ben also getting in media kerfuffles 2 times = Steeler morality?

No disrespect but I'm pretty sure Holmes stating he wants out was the final straw...

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Ummmmm... so the message is 1 domestic violence charge dropped + 2 weed violations + another + a naked photo in the shower + a twitter account telling people to kill themselves, dumping on the Steeler franchise and admitting more weed use + a false domestic violence charge... and Ben also getting in media kerfuffles 2 times = Steeler morality?

No disrespect but I'm pretty sure Holmes stating he wants out was the final straw...
    You act like he had repeated violations being ignored for years. The last time he had a Steeler uni on in a game he had "one" MJ charge.

The second pot violation has more to do with him being a Jet than his wanting to go to a big market team. Even if he walks, he could help with a SB run this year, unless of couse the idiot got banned.

Ben? I was with you on being critical of his stupidity. I STILL think Ben is stupid for getting himself in these situations. But if it is dropped, the law says innocent til "proven" guilty.

Holmes is a "admitted guilty" to multiple violations and has no remorse. Big difference.
    Buh bye Santonio.

I do however, believe there may be some intent that Ben and everyone else realize that the WILL get rid of you.

Legend

I really wonder if Wallace didn't have a break out year if this would have been the last straw with Holmes.

It's much easier to cut ties with a player when you have a few more horses in the stable at that position. I doubt we would trade Ben even if charged....

Legend

As much as a message to our players I think this was a message to the other owners about the "right way" to deal with these head cases who we are paying millions of dollars to. The Rooney's have provided the other owners a roadmap to follow. Its up to them whether they have the guts to to it.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    I really wonder if Wallace didn't have a break out year if this would have been the last straw with Holmes.

It's much easier to cut ties with a player when you have a few more horses in the stable at that position. I doubt we would trade Ben even if charged....
    I dont disagree completely. Wallace made it "less painful" true. I beleive this point is what made it an opportune time to send the message. ?Having sent the messge I do beleive they have created an environment where they know they need to act consistently in similar future situations.

Ben? Well "charged" and "proven" are not the same. Were Ben "convicted" the point would be moot anyway since his only chance of playing would be in "The Longest Yard" 3.

My point is that the Rooney's are "rare" in that "most" owners do not react so strongly, regardless the options available.