Thread: It's Mike Wallace's time in Pittsburgh

Legend

User Info Menu

It's Mike Wallace's time in Pittsburgh

It's Mike Wallace's time in Pittsburgh

April, 12, 2010
    By James Walker

The Pittsburgh Steelers' trade for Santonio Holmes means the team has a lot of confidence in second-year receiver Mike Wallace.

And why not?

Wallace took advantage of every opportunity last season as a rookie, recording 39 receptions for 756 yards and six touchdowns. He added deep speed and reliable hands to Pittsburgh's offense as the No. 3 receiver, and Wallace could be an early fantasy sleeper for 2010 now that he's projected in the starting lineup.

Although the Steelers didn't get much in return for Holmes -- only a fifth-round pick -- they do have depth at the position. Wallace will step into Holmes' starting slot alongside Hines Ward, while the recently signed Antwaan Randle El likely will be the team's third receiver. Arnaz Battle and former 2008 second-round pick Limas Sweed are among the backups.

Not coincidentally, the Steelers are looking at receivers in this year's NFL draft. Receivers Golden Tate and Arrelious Benn were among the prospects to visit Pittsburgh last week.

[url="http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...-in-pittsburgh"]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...-in-pittsburgh[/url]

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: It's Mike Wallace's time in Pittsburgh

Mike Wallace's fantasy value certainly has increased...

Apr 12, 2010
    Mike Wallace happy to see Santonio Holmes go

Second-year receiver Mike Wallace is the only obvious winner from the Steelers' trade of Santonio Holmes to the Jets. The Steelers certainly do not look any better, the Jets might have bitten off more than they can chew and Holmes could have trouble matching his prior stats.

Wallace caught 39 passes for 756 yards and six touchdowns as a rookie. Now, he could turn into the Steelers' No. 1 receiving threat, especially with 34-year-old Hines Ward going into this 13th season. Ward will have to continue in a major role, but at this point in his career, you're just hoping he can keep himself in one piece for the season. He still might be a borderline No. 2 receiver if you're ready to accept a few missed games.

Wallace will take over that big-play role Holmes filled (although the Steelers still can make some wide receiver moves in the draft). Don't expect a big jump in TDs, especially if the Steelers commit to the run as they have talked about. But he should see a bump in catches to 60-70 and be a 1,000-yard threat. He might be a bit of a reach as a No. 2 receiver. But if you can spend a seventh- or eighth-round pick on him as your third guy, you could be happy.

[url="http://content.usatoday.com/communities/fantasyjoe/post/2010/04/mike-wallace-happy-to-see-santonio-holmes-go/1"]http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... olmes-go/1[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Good thing I traded him before the deadline last year in my dynasty league.

In fairness, I had to trade Randy Moss as his contract was expiring or lose him for nothing.
    The trade was like this:

I traded Moss and Wallace
    for
    BMarshall and Meachem.

It favored me heavily at the time and I won my league. But I'm playing with fire with Marshall.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wallace for President!!!

In all seriousness, this kid's got it. From his first bomb he caught, you could see that he has "it". He seems to makes plays after plays every Sunday, even when teams caught on to him.

Now, I'm not a Holmes hater... he can ball too just ask the Cardinals. But didn't Wallace fill in well for Holmes/Ward, when they were out with an injury? Proving that he can cover the starting role.

I wonder how he compared to Holmes, when Holmes was playing the 3rd wide behind Cedric?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Can Wallace throw the ball to himself?
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Can Wallace throw the ball to himself?
    It looks like Dixon will be delivering the ole pigskin.