Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5th plus Leon Washington????

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: 5th plus Leon Washington????

Getting more than a 5th Round pick would not be consistent with the Rooney's "emotional and reactionary" thinking as evidenced by the last 75 years of the owenership of the franchise.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII
    All of the "this is the worst trade ever" talk is slaying me.

What's the point of a trade? To improve your team, right?

I think this will improve the team more than we can imagine. It sends a message to any incoming knuckleheads we may draft, it sends a message to us fans saying the ownership is aware of what's going on and doesn't like it, it sends a message to all the current players.

Trading away 1 of our SuperBowl MVP WRs is pretty dramatic.

I'd also like to point out that we still don't know the official terms. (Unless I missed something this morning...)
    Worst trade ever? No. I haven't heard much, if any, of that. I think this was a good move, but I wish we could have gotten a little more. If Leon Washington is indeed part of the deal, I'm good with it.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't know anything about draft pick values, but if they can use this 5th round pick and couple it with 2-3 other picks to move up into the late 1st round - late 2nd, I'm all for it. I think we currently have 11 draft picks now, which makes a move like this a lot more likely.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Here's the thing- we've all been waiting to see how the Rooney's would react.

This is how.

Personally, Chadman is kinda proud of the organisation for taking this stand.

It shows that integrity still holds for this team, despite the current employees forgetting that.

If Ben is charged tomorrow, expect something similar to come down, Chadman expects.

And it would be the right thing to do, too.
    Shouldn't we have started this stand by not giving Reed a raise? Reed was arrested or detained twice for some very questionable behavior. He totally gave up on kick coverage this season. I am glad we traded Holmes, but I'm disappointed we rewarded Reed.
    The two situations are a bit different. For one, Holmes has been involved with dumb and asinine incidents since the day he was arrested. The other difference is that Reed was smart enough to stay quiet after he got himself arrested. He didn't show disrespect to the Rooneys, the Steelers and their fans by inviting people to go kill themselves, suggesting that the "fans don't pay his salary," or saying anything else asinine via twitter.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If we can get Leon Washington out of this deal that would be totally sweet.

Backup

User Info Menu

Getting only a fifth rounder is pretty disappointing, but its better then nothing. Even if he walked after his current contract the best we could have hoped for was a pick in the 3rd to 5th round range anyway. Given his bonehead off field antics, would someone have signed him for 3rd round competency pick value?

I really hope that the Leon Washington rumor is real. He would be a good addition. Maybe there is another under the table part of the deal if Washington doesn't sign his tender? Here is the Jets' draft picks according to ESPN - doesn't look like much to work with if we look for a "we'll pick your guy for you with our pick" type of deal.

1 29 (29)
    2 29 (61)
    4 26 (124) from Arizona
    6 29 (19
    7 29 (236

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

a 5th round pick?? that is crap. great we can draft the next willie gay with a 5th round pick. washington better be part of the deal. that would make it a little better. washington is a great rb but if he is part of the deal then we wont be drafting a rb let alone a big rb

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    The two situations are a bit different. For one, Holmes has been involved with dumb and asinine incidents since the day he was arrested. The other difference is that Reed was smart enough to stay quiet after he got himself arrested. He didn't show disrespect to the Rooneys, the Steelers and their fans by inviting people to go kill themselves, suggesting that the "fans don't pay his salary," or saying anything else asinine via twitter.
    Bingo. This is why Holmes was shipped, it has nothing to do with barroom allegations. All the twittering and the supposed four game suspension that he is about to serve to start the season sealed it for him. If he gets caught waking and baking once more then he is gone for a year - which would hit us much harder then a trade today.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wait...the Jets don't have a 5th rounder this year. So is it next years 5th rounder? The browns have the Jets 5th this year...29(160) Cleveland Browns from NY Jets
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Shouldn't we have started this stand by not giving Reed a raise? Reed was arrested or detained twice for some very questionable behavior. He totally gave up on kick coverage this season. I am glad we traded Holmes, but I'm disappointed we rewarded Reed.

Reed didn't tell the fan base to eff itself.